Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Short Stages

lenard

At the Australasia a month ago, most of the stages were 8 to 9 rounders. I think that the new IPSC rules prefer a ratio of 3 short:1 medium:1 long stage in a match. The short stages are real match killers especially if you have movers on them. Two penalties will eat up most of your points on that stage.

Another thing I've noticed, at least in this IPSC region, was that there are lots of movements before you actually shoot ( opening doors,retrieving the gun from closet/box/glove compartment, even swing from a rope etc.).They can distract your shooting. Stages hardly ever starts with a draw from the holster.

I guess I have to adjust my practice drills.

lenard,

Yea, IPSC matches, especially at level 3 and above are totally different than anything we now see in the states. Even though not that "pracitcal," I really enjoy "the draw" as part of a stage. I do enjoy the quicker speed shoots though, I feel like they are more akin to what we were doing when I started. Without a millon swingers and bobbers, of course. I think to say that that target is a little overused, esecially in the Philippines, is a gross understatement.

be

Hi Brian

Actually I am from the Philippines. But its the southern guys from Cebu and Mindanao islands who love putting up a gazillion movers on these stages. And to keep us Manila boys on our toes, they make  2-3 movers swing so fast on a 9 round stage you get cross eyed from shooting 1 mover while keeping an eye on the other 2 movers :-) I'm not complaining since evryone gets to shoot the same stages, i just need more practice with moving targets. I was wasting a lot of time re-engaging shots I couldnt call. Hmmm...lack of confidence on my shots? ;-)I'll be ready next time.

I also like stages tat start fom the draw even if from an awkward position ( sitting on a bobbing jetski,hanging from a telephone pole :-)), adds some variety.

Thanks for this forum Brian. It gives us an opportunity to ask the questions from the best. i hope you guys can come back here and shoot when the Philippines hosts another big match.

Lenard, count me in if I can afford it, or make the team.

There has been a lot of negative talk about the bobbers at Cebu, but now we know (I'd heard a whisper but chose to ignore it!) it would have been an awesome match. It certainly was the best I've been to.

You'll have to come down to Australia for the next Australasian match, see you there.

P.D.

Thanks Phil! I think I will. We missed you guys at Australasia. Our countries have always been friendly rivals in this region :-)I hope to make it on the next team again too. But if I'm not mistaken, I believe the next Australasian Champ. would be held in Bali, Indonesia.