Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Target engagement

Over the last couple of practice sessions, I have really been trying to open up and visually accept everything that is going on with the gun/sites/me/etc...  I have noticed a trend though.  When transitioning from paper to steel (small white plates especially) I can clearly remember seeing a good site alignment before the gun fires, yet the steel plate is left standing.  The only thing that I can think of is that I may be blinking as the gun fires.  This would allow a site picture to chage at the most critical point and pull off target.  I am not sure this is the case, but its the only think I can think of that would cause what looked like a good site alignment to produce a miss.  Do youall have any suggestions to help teach myself not to blink, or any other thoughts on this problem?  Thanks in advance.

WayneBullock

Intense will to see the shot of is neccessary. You said 'I can clearly remember seeing a good sight alignment BEFORE the gun fires.' This says it all, you need to see the sight alignment AS the gun fires. Look for the sight to lift off the target. While this kind of sight type is not always needed, when learning it allows you to learn how to see the shot off. There can be many reasons for blinking, one of mine is noise, I tend to be noise sensitive, so I notice I have a tough time indoors. Try double pluging, by this I mean foam inserts and a headset, this will reduce the sound impact of the gun firing. In matches you probably won't need to because of auditory exclusion, when adreniline flows it causes the body to modify its systems to deal with the problem at hand, one of the senses affected is hearing. Hunters don't hear the shot break for the same reason as do anyone involved in a defensive shooting incident. We undergo many of the same stresses when we compete, one of the benifits of going to matches.

Pat

I am fortunate that I don't blink or flinch, much. When I leave a plate it is usually because I am not following through and I am swinging on the next target before the shot is really off. I'll see what I think I need to see to get the hit, then I'll see the next target as the shot breaks. That's just trying to go too fast.

The first step to "cure" blinking is to become aware that you are. Have a friend watch you at the range. If you are blinking, just have him watch you everytime you shoot and tell you if you are or not. Soon, you should be able to feel this yourself. Then, take some time at each practice session, especially at the begining, and just shoot some shots (not necessarily even at a target), while "feeling" your eyes.

And don't forget to continue to monitor this, even if you don't think you are blinking, you may start at any time. It's like old age, it just kinda creeps up on ya...

be

It may not be blinking, it may be that you are looking at the steel to watch it fall. You may get the sights aligned and you may even focus on the front, but that's all for nothing unless you actually see the sight lift upon recoil. A lot of people will get the sight picture then look to the steel as they pull the trigger, pulling the gun slightly down as they do so. Not all those low shots you see on steel are flinches.

Yeah I've had problems with that before, now more than ever I just try to shoot it like paper. It's kinda like hitting a golf ball...if you lift your head to watch it go, you'll never hit it in the first place.

Pat