Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Camo Stock

warpspeed

I understand the no camo concept from a propagan, uh, public relations point of view and not wanting to be mixed up in the media/public mind with those in camo portrayed in a negative manner by the press. Being a good sport and wanting to play, always, by the rules I do not wear camoflage to the range. I do sometimes wear floral prints however. :P

On the other hand, I feel much safer downrange wearing bright colors which contrast with the background, berm and targets when pasting targets... :D

Can't hit what you can't see :D and of course can't find what you can't see :( One great advantage with the old cammo Benelli is that when I walk up to the rack to get my gun to go play, it is easy to find.....not all "tacticle black" like every other gun in the rack :P KURTM

I was thinking of using a Rem 1100 shotgun for 3-gun and wanted to know if it can have a camo stock. I know that camo clothes are a no-no but what about the paintjob on the gun?

I brought my tiger striped camo AR to SMM3G last year and no one even said anything. But unlike Kurt's Benelli, tiger striped AR just stood out in the desert like a sore thumb :lol:

If the powers that wanna be were to suggest staying away from tactickle black membership would nearly disappear. The Glocks would be banished right along with my black rubber gripped blue steel Kimber. There would be nothing left but those multi-colored hard chromed foo-foo guns I can't afford yet! B)

Can't hit what you can't see :D and of course can't find what you can't see :( One great advantage with the old cammo Benelli is that when I walk up to the rack to get my gun to go play, it is easy to find.....not all "tacticle black" like every other gun in the rack :P KURTM

This was sort of my idea - being able to easily distinguish it from the dozen's of others.

OK, gotta jump in here, too.

I'm OK with the no cammo suggestion. It does convey a mentality that we need to be careful about. We've all seen gunshop commandos, etc. Folks that dress in cammo just plain scares the rest of the world. This goes for being overly tactically dressed as well.

The guns are bad enough. Running around and shooting at targets that sorta look like people, well, that's pushing it. Then to be dressed in camo or tactical gear. Sounds like something French politicians could use against us (notice that was a whack on French politicians, not French people).

I feel a little funny about whipping out my M4 with an Eotech, vertical grip, and sling. Non-IPSC types at gun ranges get a little nervous. If I were wearing cammo, whew!

OK, second part of this that you may want to think about. The best way to get the great silent majority to warm back up to guns is to not emulate the negative stereo types (tactibilies and gang punks). Emulate the people you want to convince.

I'm a typical "corporate" looking type and I'm sure people give more consideration to my views when they discover I'm packing a cocked and locked 45 when I'm wearing a suit or yuppie clothes.

BTW the first time I heard the term "tactibillies" it was attributed to Matt Burkett. So I give him credit. If he is not the originator, sorry.

Geek

I know this is touchy stuff.

It's not the clothing that's the problem; it's the people who wear the clothing.

Don't know about California, but in Wyoming most of the folks wearing cammo are salt of the earth. People go to church in Realtree, and faded BDUs from someone's past military service don't seem to twitterpate anyone at our local ranges.

Let's draw the line at face paint and ghillie suits, and cut the rest some slack.

I've said it befor, but I guess it bears reminding. The people you are talking about, the "wierd" ones, only come to one match, if at all! Once they see that their image of themselves is way off, they don't return. If they do shoot one match, they will brag for the rest of their lives that they really showed those game guys and they were asked never to return as those game guys can't take the heat. Either way it is a non problem! Even at the old SOF, where cammo was strongly encouraged, you would only see 5-10 guys all decked out, out of 250 shooters. NON PROBLEM. I guess if I were to be warry of any type of clothing ( which I am not), it would be the all black wearers. Do you know how hot that can be in MESA???? Heat exhaustsion around the corner. KURTM

Erik/Kurt

You're absolutely correct that's it's not the clothing but instead it's the people wearing it.

However, the big problem that we have to consider is the perception of the great many ill informed people who may view our sport.

There are so many out there just waiting to find an excuse to have a go at us.

If I wear a cammo jacket I'm still the same person but to an outsider the perception may change.

Some countries have bigger political problems than the rest. Some States have bigger political problems than the rest.

The bottom line is that given a choice between wearing pink and yellow stripes and still being able to pull a trigger versus sitting around in a bar reminiscing about the good old days of shooting matches while wearing emminently practical Gore Tex camo clothing ..................

Pink! Pink? Hmmmm! Maybe I should think on this some more. :huh:

Wow. I'm as non-tactical as it gets, and *I* wouldn't give a crap if someone had a camoflage rifle/shotgun. People camo their guns all the time for hunting, and they should be able to those guns in a match. Period. How could camo possibly be perceived as worse than black, the most evil color of all? Everybody could paint their rifles and shotguns pink and they'd still be politically incorrect.

The #1 and only reason I don't like to see full BDU's on non-LEO/non-Mil attendees at a match is that outsiders will label the sport "Militia training." Which incidentally, attracts budding militia members - for one match only - as Kurt has hammered home (and I agree with). I would just prefer to see the "weird ones" at zero matches, but that's my utopian dream.

Leave the camo guns alone. If anything, they look *less* military than black, not more.

Erik

I don't know of anyone on any rules committee who wants to ban camo guns (or gun slips).

The old IPSC SG rules used to tackle the subject of black clothing by stating:

any clothing, or combination of clothing, which has a paramilitary style is considered inappropriate at IPSC Shotgun competitions

There was an exception clause for genuine LEOs.

Black combat trousers with black combat top was a no no but black combat trousers with a pretty pink floral top - no problem (I'm for Kurt modelling the latest fashion statement)

The whole subject is a very carefully considered debate. None of us personally have an objection to the clothing. We are being forced to contemplate the realities of the world we live in.

We have no desire for the wannabes but don't want to discriminate against LEOs and the military.

The final revision to the IPSC rules was considered a reasonable compromise:

5.3.1 The use of camouflage or other similar types of military or police garments is discouraged.  The exception is competitors who are law enforcement or military personnel.  The Match Director will be the final authority in respect of what garments competitors are allowed to wear.

The extra authority afforded to the MD gives greater scope to react to circumstances. Give me a gentleman in a camo jacket over the pr*ck in a T shirt that says something like "All xyz are mother f*ckers and deserve to die".

Kurt in a pretty pink top! Now there's a thought. Mike! Where's Mike when I need him. :rolleyes:

The #1 and only reason I don't like to see full BDU's on non-LEO/non-Mil attendees at a match is that outsiders will label the sport "Militia training."

I hope BDU pants are acceptable in your view since they are so roomy and functional (and I don't want to pay Royal Robins 5.11 prices.) ;)

I hope BDU pants are acceptable in your view since they are so roomy and functional (and I don't want to pay Royal Robins 5.11 prices.) ;)

Fortunately, my opinion counts for zip. I have nothing to do whatsoever with IPSC 3-gun. I'm just speaking about matches in general and what I've seen at a few non-sanctioned local "practical" matches.

Back to the topic now.

Neil:

When was the last time any of the gun haters came out to watch a match? Over here it just doesn't happen. Any time the press wants footage they go to gun shops or indoor ranges, you see it's too much work for them to haul the gear out on a Saturday or Sunday, just to cover a match! I do like the pink tank top idea.... might blend right in with what Mike called My questionable mustach :o

PacMan:

No problem with BDUs I wore them in Italy and no complaints, solid colors seem less "scary" to the USPSA/IPSC match people than cammo, but I digress! KURTM