Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

COAL on 9mm

astroskg

i reloaded up 1000 9mm rounds this last weekend useing berry's 115 rn-ds something i have done for over a year and several thousand rounds

my brother in-law bought some Berry's 124gn Hollow point bullets and we loaded them up useing data from my Speer and lyman reload books

keeping with middle of the road load data i used 6gn Power pistol and set crimp and bullet depth to the book. 1.120.

we went to the range and shot several hundred of the 115 round nose with no problems as usual and decided to shoot a few of the Hollow point rounds we had set up.

well they didn't fit in the chamber. None of our guns would chamber these rounds XDM 9mm, Walther P99AS 9mm, or PX4 storm Beretta 9mm.

went back home and started checking the rounds to see if i may have miss read my calipers and mics. nope they were set right on 1.120 as the book sugested.

pulled the barrel out of my Walther P99AS and proceeded to make measurements . long story short i ended up having to seat the bullet another .100 just to get it to fit the chamber

the COAL was now at 1.020 bullet look good and feeds good but am now worried about the extra depth i needed to seat the bullet to make it fit.

the deeper the bullet the more compressed the powder will be which will also increase the pressure.

What do i do!!!! i don't want to shoot these bullets with the chance of a blow up.

has any one run into this problem?

did you lower the powder charge to say 4.5 grains to compensate for the deeper depth of the bullet?

does anyone have any info on this issue??

any help is greatly appreciated

Steve G

Don't you hate it when you load up a bunch of rounds and then think, oh-oh!! 6 gr. of PP with a plated 124 gr bullet is fairly stout and, from my books, 1.02 is a bit on the short side. If it were me, I'd pull the bullets and start over with a light load and work up, keeping on eye out for pressure signs. Good luck.

Don't you hate it when you load up a bunch of rounds and then think, oh-oh!! 6 gr. of PP with a plated 124 gr bullet is fairly stout and, from my books, 1.02 is a bit on the short side. If it were me, I'd pull the bullets and start over with a light load and work up, keeping on eye out for pressure signs. Good luck.

yes that what i was thinking pull them (luckly only 250 of the HP the 1000 115RN-DS's are ok) and start low on the charge. 4.5 was just a number i pulled out of my butt no data to back it .

other than looking for popped out primers and a case that might get stuck in the chamber is there anything else i need to look at

for excessive chamber pressure?

Does 4.5 even sound like a good number?

thanks again for your input

Steve

Suggest you purchase a reloading manual or look at Handloads.com, good information there. RCBS offers a collet bullet puller. Might look into that. It will pull bullets quicker than a hammer type. Bought mine quite a few years ago at Midway USA. Yes we've all made mistakes, but check then double check will save most of them.

I set the OAL at 1.135 to 1.140 for my minor nines, 1911 9mm and Glock 17, 34.

1) Always start at the starting load. It is called that for a reason.

2) Always prepare one or two inert dummy rounds (no powder or primer) while setting up your dies and seating the bullet. This way you can establish the longest COL that will fit in your magazine and feed and chamber in your gun.

3) For any new load/bullet, only prepare about 20 to test at the range.

4) Max in the the manual may not be max in your gun. Always start with the starting load and work up.

I've loaded probably 5 or 6 thousand Berrys 124HP's. An OAL of 1.125 works best in my Glocks but is too long for my High Power. Had to reduce the powder charge and use an OAL of 1.110 to feed the High Power. The OAL is obviously gun dependent even though specs say the chamber should be 1.169 for 9mm. Sometimes the shape of the bullet makes a big difference as FMJ's have a "quicker" rounding profile, they can be loaded longer than some HP's - especially the Berrys which is pretty long before the Ogive rounds away from the case.

Can't help you on the PP charge. I use Titegroup at 4.2 grains for the Glocks.