Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting shot at Nationals

I wasn't sure if this could go in the "what I hate" section, and it's not entirely humor, so I didn't put it there...so this seemed like a reasonable place.

There I am with my squad doing our walkthrough on the 4th stage of the day, quietly stewing over a scope issue on the previous stage, when all of a sudden WHAM, I get hammered on the top of the head with a bullet. I double over, holding my head, saying a choice four letter word, knowing that it hurt like hell, but I wasn't really hurt. It bounced off someone else's back, and they handed it to me...it was still hot. It was a jacketed .40 bullet that later weighed 176gr on the friendly chrono man's scale. Talk about getting some sense knocked into you. Troy McManus happened to be on our stage helping set up some additional hay bales to cut down on bullets and rocks bouncing over the berms, and he kindly offered me a reshoot on the head shot :roflol:

One stage prior I was shooting and the scope shifted zero on me...giving me two mikes on one partial, two deltas (both barely on the edge) and another delta on one of the swingers. I walked down to the function range and the POI was 2-3" right at 7yds...no wonder I missed the partial at 20yds (called both shots perfectly) :angry: Luckily I had time to quickly get it back on target (have an index mark on the scope body). This scope did the same thing a year or so ago, so I took it apart, did the loctite trick on the adjustment screw and it probably went 10K rounds without shifting on me. It's going back to C-More and the new replacement I already have is going on the gun....it's obvious that Murphy was having a slow day today!

If it's true bad things come in threes, I'm going to be driving very carefully for the next day or so :surprise:

Edit to add: it did leave a nice little knot, but no blood, so I got exactly as much sympathy as it would deserve...LOL....none! I did get a few "hey, I bet it looked perfect before it hit that hard head of yours" sort of comments. Hey, it's Vegas, and everybody wants to get in on the act...I'll be here all week, don't forget to tip your wait staf.....

Edited by G-ManBart

I did toy with the idea of declaring it a case of assualt on a federal officer, and confiscating all .40 pistols on the range at the time :devil:

I actually shot the stage reasonably well....was still a little worried about the whole zero shifting thing, but managed to get through the stage okay. I have the bullet and will post pics when I get home. I'm just wondering whether it started out as a 180 or 200!

Edit to add: using the mirrors in the hotel room, I was able to see the spot where it hit...left a nice spot that looked like rug burn...just a trace of blood showing. It must have gone a hunderd yards or more, from the ranges that are on an angle to the 1-9 berms.

Edited by G-ManBart

Sarah Irish had scope issues as well today. The mount screws worked loose and practically zero'd a field stage because of it, I think there were 5 Misses and 1 No-Shoot. I think Jessie helped her to get it fixed and re-zero'ed before commencing with the next stage.

I also have no sympathy for G-ManBart laugh.gif I've been pelted with rocks and other assorted debris from ricochets all day taping the Women's Super Squad.

That range is frigg'n dangerous... you hear ricochets all over... I've been telling people for years it's only a matter of time. I'm glad it wasn't too bad. As long as the Nats are at that range I will never attend. No great loss for the match, just sayn.

JT

Edited by JThompson

That range is frigg'n dangerous... you hear ricochets all over... I've been telling people for years it's only a matter of time. I'm glad it wasn't too bad. As long as the Nats are at that range I will never attend. No great loss for the match, just sayn.

JT

whole bunch of people feel the same way...i will never go back there.

I also have no sympathy for G-ManBart laugh.gif I've been pelted with rocks and other assorted debris from ricochets all day taping the Women's Super Squad.

Well if you were not sneaking around filming them, they probably would'nt throw rocks at you :devil: :devil:

where you wearing a hat? its a form of head protection, that no one really gives credit. Wearing a hat can prevent a nasty gash and turn it into just a bump on the head!

rub some dirt on it, you will be ok!!!

Oh yeah, I was wearing a hat, and glad that I was. It would have definitely left a pretty good cut without the hat...and we all know how much cuts on your head bleed!

I'm thinking this really should be an automatic slot for next years Nationals :P

You know, I read the title and got a little worried that you were posting from a hospital bed in Vegas.

And then I opened it, and now I'm laughing, just a bit, at your luck.

Of all the places to be standing at that particular time...

Glad you're alright.