Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Kids starting fires

foilhat

I got a call today to a village in my county. The complainant stated kids with matches were starting fires on the old mine dump. The mine dump is a giant slag pile left from a mining operation years ago. The pile is covered with trees and thick underbrush now.

I got to the village and had to park about 1/2 mile away. I had to clime a fence and start my walk. As I approached the base of the dump, I could hear faint voices of children. Yes, my keen detective skills have paid off. I climbed the first steep bank and heard someone talking. The boys were in a dry creek bed below me. I listened to them talking and using curse words to tease each other.

One boy was right below me and was asking his friend about a rope. I asked what he needed the rope for and the look on his face was priceless. I met four of the boys in the creek bed. They appeared to be around 14 years old and two of them were carrying a cooler (yes-victory). I asked the boys what they had in the cooler and they replied, rocks.

I looked in the cooler and found three large rocks.

I asked them what the rocks were for and they said for a fire. I told them that was why I showed up. The boys took me along the creek to the rope. The rope was a old garden hose attached to a tree 30 feet up a second incline. We climbed up the hill and took the other three boys by surprise.

I found a second cooler at their campsite, I knew this was the alcohol. NO, I was denied again. These boys were having fun outdoors, exploring and spending time together. What is going on, no drugs or alcohol?

What do I like?

Finding seven young men having fun outside, reminding me that all kids are not bad. These boys made my day and restored my faith in people (a little bit).

Edited by foilhat

There are lots of good wholesome kids out there such as these. The reason they are so hard to spot is the fact that they do not attract attention because they don't do anything really wrong. The squeaky wheel gets the grease and these kids go about having fun in a quiet way. Glad to hear that you were pleasantly surprised. Makes ya grin.:cheers:

Pat