Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do you put in the fiber optic?

slippp

So my fiber optic from my front sight somehow got loose and fell out....

So....

How do I put in a new fiber optic front properly?

I searched on here and on google but I couldn't find anything..

TIA!

Cut a piece of fiber adding 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch extra to each end. Slide it in and heat the ends with a lighter. The size of the "dot" will depend on the overlap you start with. I like a very small dot so I leave only enough overlap to hold in place.

I cut off a section a bit longer than necessary, melt the end that I'm going to look at (easier to get it the right size when it's not in the sight), put a small dab of crazy glue near the melted blob, install in the sight, then melt the muzzle end (and trim slightly before, if necessary). Adding the crazy glue seems to make them last longer. R,

+1 above. I'll use just a very small dab of twp part epoxy just before pushing the rod in. Either glue or epoxy will keep it in place. Small amounts, the glue shouldn't show after the rod is installed.

Fingernail clipper's work well for a even cut on the new section of fiber rod. Opened end of a paper clip or toothpick to apply glue.

One of my limited pistols would not complete a match with out loosing the rod till I glued it. Now I replace the fiber rod when solvents dull the color, but you may have to drill it out. Using a hand held drill bit to replace it next time.

A big thank you to Joe for posting that video and Dawson for making it. I haven't had to switch out my rods yet, but I was unsure of the process. Doesn't look that hard, and I will have a razor knife and lighter in my range bag from now on.

For those folks who do not have a front sight with the counter bore as Dave described in the video, be aware of the size of the bulb or blob you create on the rear of the sight. Keep it small so you do not have a huge blob which might cause centering problems within the rear sight. Also, keep the blob centered on the rear of the front sight. Allowing it to droop or sag one direction or another will again cause visual centering problems when looking at it through the rear sight. Take a few minutes to do it right and save some frustration later.

Pat

For those folks who do not have a front sight with the counter bore as Dave described in the video, be aware of the size of the bulb or blob you create on the rear of the sight. Keep it small so you do not have a huge blob which might cause centering problems within the rear sight. Also, keep the blob centered on the rear of the front sight. Allowing it to droop or sag one direction or another will again cause visual centering problems when looking at it through the rear sight. Take a few minutes to do it right and save some frustration later.

Pat

This is also great information. Did not think about that at all.

Most times the bulb on the end will not melt concentric with the rod. I like to leave the rod long, melt the end you look at first. Then, holding the long part that's hanging out the front, turn the fiber around until the bulb is centered side to side. Hold it from turning any more while you cut off the excess and melt the other end. Nail clippers work well to cut the fiber. Use sharp ones.

I cut off a section a bit longer than necessary, melt the end that I'm going to look at (easier to get it the right size when it's not in the sight), put a small dab of crazy glue near the melted blob, install in the sight, then melt the muzzle end (and trim slightly before, if necessary). Adding the crazy glue seems to make them last longer. R,

DOH! I feel stupid for not thinking of the super-glue.

No matter how good the fit is, that that Fo tube is slapping back and forth in the sight, but with some super-glue holding it nice and snug...

Winner!

The best tool I have found for FO installation, melting the tips F/R, is a Butane Soldering Iron with the Cone Tip. Runs off Butane so you dont need any batteries, Compact Size to fit in the range bag, Cone Tip provides precision & focused heat in making the F/R "bloob/bulb".

I will try to get a video or pics up.

Edited by SPDGG

• 1 year later...

Although I shoot Open I found this video VERY helpful for those times when I might need to help someone install a new fiber.

Thank You very much - my fiber optic fell out today and I had a couple of thoughts about repair, (soldering rod, glue) but had I known this - I could have fixed it at the range !!!

One thing I do before installing a new fiber optic is to take a razor blade and scrape off all the black paint on the sight where the fiber optic lays. Removing the paint helps make the fiber "glow" better as the sunlight reflects off of the sight onto the fiber.

I buy my fiber rods in 3' sections. Cut them down to 4" pieces and then stick several different types into my parts kit. I use both 1 MM and 1.5 MM rods. I have Red Green and Orange for colors.

Like others have posted. Melt the dot side, insert rod, clip with electronics cutters, melt other end.

Was doing some practice draws tonight and noticed that the front sight was not as bright as it should have been. Front 2/3 had broken off leaving the back 1/3 glued in place. Took over 10 minutes to get the old pieces out and the hole cleared enough to insert the new fiber.

One hint I have for others is to stop at your local auto parts store and get a torch tip cleaning set. It is a little hand held pencil diameter pin vice with around a dozen small drill bits of varying diameters. Cost me around $10.