Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Improving in Open

jkatz44

Everyone,

I just switched from shooting Production to Open. Boy, what a difference.

I just shot the IPSC nats and my points were good but the times were a little

slow. On one of the stages, I tried to push it and got a quicker time but my

points suffered. So, my question is, what should my goal be? Since I just

started in Open, should I just relax and let my experience in Open improve my

performance. I guess that I have most of the fundamentals down and need to tie

in all of the small things. Any input would be great.

Thanks,

Jason

Edited by jkatz44

On one of the stages, I tried to push it and got a quicker time but my points suffered.

That's always a guaranteed loser. Always shoot what you see.

To shoot quickly and accurately with iron sights, you have to keep your focus moving from the target, then back to the sights, then back to the next target, etc. You don't do that at all with optics; never look at anything but the targets. Seeing the dot peripherally is all you need to see to call each shot. Doing that will allow your biggest improvement.

be

On one of the stages, I tried to push it and got a quicker time but my points suffered.

That's always a guaranteed loser. Always shoot what you see.

To shoot quickly and accurately with iron sights, you have to keep your focus moving from the target, then back to the sights, then back to the next target, etc. You don't do that at all with optics; never look at anything but the targets. Seeing the dot peripherally is all you need to see to call each shot. Doing that will allow your biggest improvement.

be

Thanks. :cheers:

Hello

I just started too with open. I have a range diary (found on my signature). i have total of 4 matches into it already. Like Benos said you can only shoot what you can see. How fast you can track your dot, how fast you can acquire targets.

Start being comfortable with the gun first. Feel how it shoots, how the dot moves during recoil, and importantly, where is the dot when the gun is aimed at different body positions. I am still in this stage.

For the last 4 matches i discovered i can go as fast as anybody, but i cant see what they see at that speed. i have also tried being safe (too safe) and my time suffered. although i know i can do better.

its trial and error for now, once im dialed in.. :rolleyes:

One tip to help confirm/teach you to just look at the target is to cut a small business card and tape it to the leading edge of your optic covering the glass. The dot will still project on the glass. Do some dryfire drills. If you are actually looking at the dot, and you may well be in spite of what you think you are looking at, what you will see is the buisness card blocking the target. If you are looking at the target the dot will appear on the target. This may take some getting used to. After you get decent with it during dryfire go out and do some livefire drills with it. Once you get used to that do it in a match with those pressures. Not only will you find your scores improving but you will amaze all the onlookers with your mastery of the force as you attack the course with your optic blocked.

Be warned though, this doesn't happen overnight and the first few times you find yourself standing still listening to the sound of the timer mocking you as you try to get your focus off the card and back on target can be humbling. :rolleyes:

One tip to help confirm/teach you to just look at the target is to cut a small business card and tape it to the leading edge of your optic covering the glass. The dot will still project on the glass. Do some dryfire drills. If you are actually looking at the dot, and you may well be in spite of what you think you are looking at, what you will see is the buisness card blocking the target. If you are looking at the target the dot will appear on the target. This may take some getting used to. After you get decent with it during dryfire go out and do some livefire drills with it. Once you get used to that do it in a match with those pressures. Not only will you find your scores improving but you will amaze all the onlookers with your mastery of the force as you attack the course with your optic blocked.

Be warned though, this doesn't happen overnight and the first few times you find yourself standing still listening to the sound of the timer mocking you as you try to get your focus off the card and back on target can be humbling. :rolleyes:

Good stuff.

Yes, it's real easy to think you are looking at the target, when you are not. Another thing you might try in practice for a while is to staple business cards on the center of all the targets. They will give you something to focus on, so you'll know that you are looking at the targets.

be

• 3 weeks later...