Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My Mother has passed away

Brian Payne

Mom was not much of a shooter, but she really liked to hear the stories about the 3-gun shoots Tyler and I went too.

Payne STARBUCK — Elizabeth “Betty” Jule Payne, 79, of Starbuck died Sunday at Glacial Ridge Health Services in Glenwood.

Mass of Christian Burial will be at 10:30 a.m. Friday at Sacred Heart Catholic Church in Glenwood with Father Peter Kirchner officiating. Burial will be in St. Bridget’s Catholic Church Cemetery in DeGraff. In lieu of flowers, the family prefers memorials to the Alzheimer’s Association of Minnesota.

Visitation will be from 5 to 7 p.m. today at St. Francis Catholic Church in Benson with a parish prayer service at 6:30 p.m. and for one hour prior to the service at the church in Glenwood. Arrangements are with the Zniewski Funeral Home in Benson.

Elizabeth Jule “Betty” Payne was born July 30, 1931, in Manannah to Tobias and Lucille (McCarney) Foley. Betty grew up in the Eden Valley and Litchfield area and graduated from Litchfield High School with the class of 1949.

Betty lived and worked in Willmar until her marriage to Albert “Bud” Payne on Jan. 6, 1951. The young couple lived in Benson with Bud’s parents until February 1952. They moved to a farm outside Hancock where they farmed and raised livestock. Together they raised 11 children, six girls and five boys, with patience and love. During the early years, Betty worked nights at the nursing home in Hancock. During their life on the farm, she baked (especially bread), cooked, canned, gardened and dressed chickens. Her squash and apple pies were favorites. She made wine, hooked rugs, loved doing crossword puzzles, enjoyed walking and took community education classes in typing, ceramics and sewing for her children’s clothing.

In 1982, Betty and Bud sold their farm, moved to Starbuck and built their dream home with the help of all their family and neighbors. Betty worked at the University of Minnesota in Morris, first in the food service and then in the U.S. Post Office until her retirement in 1996. After Betty’s retirement, Bud and Betty took a trip to Alaska and a family trip to Ireland.

Betty was known for loving all sports and attending her children’s sporting events as well as all of the band and choir concerts. Throughout the years, she especially loved to watch the Minnesota Twins and Vikings. Betty loved playing a variety of card games. In her later years, she played many games of solitaire on the computer. She was a woman of strong love and faith, with Bud being the love of her life and a rosary as her constant companion. Betty’s ability to endure trials and her quiet strength are a few of the precious gifts she gave to her family.

She passed away peacefully in their home on Sept. 26, after watching the Vikings win.

Betty is survived by her husband, Albert “Bud” of Starbuck; her children, Kathy Payne of Minnetonka, Becky Payne of Minnetonka, Warren Payne (Ginger Schneider) of Lake City, David (Sue) Payne of Hibbing, Daniel (Gayle) Payne of Morris, Marg (Tom) Schmitz of Rosholt, S.D., Brian (Kristi) Payne of Princeton, Christine (Keith) Rieckman of Willmar, Brenda (Steve) DeMorett-Payne of Sartell, Rob (Maureen) Payne of Freeport and Stephanie Payne (fiancé Marcus Howard) of Edina.

She is also survived by 23 grandchildren, Jennifer (Joe) Fort, Melissa Payne, Tony (Leah) Payne, Karey (Jason Strege) Payne, Josh (Andrea) Payne, Joe (Sarah) Payne, Dawn (Sam) Weigel, Jeff Schmitz, Paul Schmitz, Nathan (Stacy) Payne, Jeremy (MaKayla) Payne, Tyler (Stephanie) Payne, Ryan Rieckman, Brandon Rieckman, Ben DeMorett, Connor DeMorett, Evan DeMorett, Logan Payne, Becca Schmitz, Logan Schmitz, Katana Howard, Quarrille Howard and Nokoma Howard; seven great-grandchildren, Eva Fort, Amelia Payne, Warren Payne, Lexington Payne, Jack Payne, Dylan Keim and Mason Rach; her brothers and sisters: Jim (Mabel) Foley of Litchfield, Mary Alice Walsh of Hastings and Paul (JoAnn) Foley of Richmond.

Preceding her in death were her parents, Tobias “Toby” and Lucille “Lucy” Foley; sister Mary Patricia Foley; brother-in-law, Clarence Walsh; and Betty’s unborn infant.

Tags: obituaries

She was a great woman and will be missed by all that knew her. Heaven has a new angel.

Just a little more information on this situation. I got the phone call on my way home from the Ozarks 3-gun. It was a tough drive home but it allowed me a lot of time to remember the good things from the past.

My Mom had Alzheimer's and was slowly getting to the point where she would not be able to live at home anymore, so I guess this was a blessing. She was a huge Minnesota Vikings fan and was able to watch the Vikes beat the Lions, she went to sleep after the game and basically never woke up. A nice way to go I guess. My Dad is at peace with it also.

Thanks for the thoughts and prayers.