Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP Enterprises' World 3-Gun Shoot - August - 2014

Sorry for the delay! We had a couple people change divisions so we had to rerun reports etc!!!

Final results: http://rm3gworld.webs.com/

I am trying to get hold of everyone. It turns out the division changes did not effect the DPMS Junior Brownells Ladies Shoot-Off, but I had to be sure!

Sorry for the delay!

0800 - With guns and ammo, ready to go - the top 4 Juniors who will be in the Shoot-Off are:

Evan Jameson, Tim Yackley, Orin Atha and Sean Yackley. Erinn Sanderson was 5th place and should be hanging around in case someone is a no show!

0900 - With guns and amm, ready to go - the top 4 Ladies who will be in the Shoot-Off are: Kay Miculek, Lena Miculek-Afentul, Audra Brown and Diane Liedorff-Muller. Beck Yackley came in 5th and shouldn't be too far away!

1000 - With guns and ammo, ready to go - the top 4 official teams are USA 1 - Jerry Miculek, Tate Moots, Kuan Watson, Glenn Shelby; USA 2 - Kelly Neal, David Neth, Tony Holmes; Russia 2 - Alan Alborov, Vitaly Konev, Sergey Shchetinin and Igor Kuzin; Russia 1 - Vsevelod Ilyin, Oleg Klenov, Ivan Koshkin and Andrei Kiresenko. Team Canada with Mathew Robertson, Craig Ritchie, Karl Blum and Lee Kang were 5th!

1000 - Need to be there to listen to rules which I will post and send to emails later - With Guns and ammo ready to go - the top Special Teams are: Team Local (also named after some weird disease that they never wrote down) Mike Payne, Mike Atha, Craig Calkins and Orin Atha; Ergo Grips - Mark Quintana, Fermin Ortega, Jared Milinazzo and Rich Donaghe; Team JVI - Jojo Vidanes, Sterling White, Todd Jarrett and Keith Manning; and 4th was Team Blackwell withTing Sun, Shane Guinther, Sheldon Blackwell and LAnce Dingler, but because of travel plans, they will not be able to attend, so 5th will be in the shoot-offs with Minnesota 3-Gun with Jay Schmitt, Chris Cazin, Jomar Villamor, and Brian Payne!

I will post Team shoot-off rules in a minute!

Junior and Ladies shoot-off rules are just like last year! 4th vs 1st, 2nd vs 3rd and then another shoot-off to decide between 3rd and 4th and 1st and 2nd. 6 birdshot, 7 pistol, 6 rifle - head to head!

3 rifle, shotgun, 3 rifle, pistol to finish!!!!

:wub: Denise

Congrats to everyone!!!!!

Edited by Benelli Chick

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Team shoots: (Each team will run the stage once for time!)

The final scores will be determined by the top 3 percent in division scores of the team members, and the percent of finish in the team shoot. So the score will be out of 400...I know, clear as mud! :-)

Team Shoot-Off Rules

12 rifle, 12 pistol, 12 shotgun

All guns used must be the guns the team members used in the match.

At the start, all guns are empty.

There are to be 2 rifles, 2 shotguns and 2 pistols. Each team member must contribute at least 1 gun and at most 2 guns.

Guns are to be abandoned muzzle down in the same bucket or barrel they are retrieved from. Magazines and/or ammo can be LEFT near the bucket AFTER the start signal, OR can be on the team members’ belt. They may also transport a magazine and/or ammo to the bucket or barrel in their hand/s.

Start position: Foot touching post.

On signal: 2 members of the team retrieve their guns and shoot NO MORE THAN 6 rounds each. When each is finished, abandon the gun muzzle down in the barrel, run back and tag a different member of the team (whose foot is touching post.) They each run to their guns and shoot NO MORE THAN 6 rounds each.

When the first one of the second two finishes, he tags in a different shooter whose foot is touching the post.

When the last team member of the first 4 is done with their 6 rounds, they just go back. Now, there is only one person shooting at a time.

Each shooter may shoot NO MORE THAN 6 rounds each time they are tagged in. They MAY shoot less than 6 rounds from one gun, abandon it in the bucket, and go and retrieve another gun and shoot it for no more than a total of 6 rounds. They may also shoot LESS THAN 6 rounds and tag in the next person if they choose.

Scoring: Beep until last shot fired. 5 second procedural added for each round over 6 an individual shoots with one tag in. Misses will be 20 sec each, but no misses are acceptable unless both guns for that target are irrecoverably broken. In other words, you MAY NOT leave targets standing.

Thanks JJ, Denise, and staff/ROs. Great job. Impressed with the quality and friendliness of RO work. Down to earth, no attitudes, good spirits. Had a lot of fun with the stages and very glad that I attended. Many thanks. For me, I'll always try to attend because RM3G is an amazing match.

Edited by AustinWolv

The division results will be at rm3g.com when our web guy finally gets home!

I'm kind of tuckered...and so is the staff, but things seem to have gone well!!!

At the DPMS Junior Shoot-Off this morning: Orin Atha won 1st for $1500, Evan Jameson 2nd for $1000, Tim Yackley 3rd for $750 and Sean Yackley 4th for $500 all courtesy of DPMS.

:bow:

At the Brownells' Ladies' Shoot-Off: Lena Miculek/Afentul won 1st for $1500, Kay Miculek 2nd for $1000, Dianna Liedorff/Muller 3rd for $750 and Audra Brown 4th for $500 all courtesy of Brownells.

:bow:

At the Official Team Shoot - USA 1 - Tate Moots, Glenn Shelby, Kuan Watson and Jerry Miculek won the Gold medals and $400 each. They were the top team going in and the fastest on the Team Stage!! USA 2 - Kelly Neal, Tony Holmes, Dave Neth and Don Bednorz (as alternate) won Silver and $250 each. Russia 1 - Andrei Kirisenko, Vselovod Ilin, Oleg Klenov, Ivan Koshkin won the Bronze and $100 after coming in 4th going into the shoot-off, they did well on the Shoot-Off stage and gained the advantage!

Russia 2 was close behind. Alan Alborov, Igor Kuzin, Vitaly Konev and Sergey Schetinin did a great job! 5th place in the offical teams was Team Canada (Craig Ritchie, Matt Robertson, Karl Blum and Kang Lee.) We also had teams from England (They can't even own handguns) and Australia.

In the Special Team shoot - Minnesota 3-Gun (Brian Payne, Jay Schmitt, Chris Cazin and Jomar Villamor got a break when Team Blackwell had to head home, but were unable to make up enough points during the Team Shoot! Team JVI (Jojo Vidanes, Sterling White, Keith Manning, Todd Jarrett) won the Bronze and $75 each. The Ergo Grips Team (Mark Quintana, Fermin Ortega, Jared Millinazzo and Rich Donaghe) won the Shoot-Off stage by a mile, but not enough to get them better than the Silver Medal and $150 each. The Locals (Mike Payne, Mike Atha, Orin Atha and Craig Calkins) won the gold and $300 each!!!

It was darn exciting! :goof:

First international competitor went to Vaclav Vinduska of the Czech Republic, Silver went to Alan Alborov of Russia and Bronze to Andrei Kirisenko of Russia!!

For JP Enterprises, Rocky Mountain 3-Gun World Championship:

Limited Scope:

Gold: Daniel Horner

Silver: Jared Milinazzo

Bronze: Glenn Shelby

Limited Iron:

Gold: Jay Schmitt

Silver: Mark Quintana

Bronze: Benito Martinez

Open:

Gold: Jerry Miculek

Silver: Craig Calkins

Bronze: Tony Holmes

He-Man Scope:

Gold: Mike Atha

Silver: Tate Moots

Bronze: Fermin Ortega

He-Man Iron:

Gold: Mike Payne

Silver: Kuan Watson

Bronze: Ting Sun

Both Tate Moots and Kuan Watson will have their names engraved AGAIN on the Eddie Rhodes memorial He-Man Law Trophy!!!

:cheers:

The 50% Dreadnaught Rifle went to Robert Christie!

Seekins Precision sent their RO rifle that they contribute every year and it went to Evan Jameson.

JP Enterprises donated 6 rifles to the prize table but 3 other rifles (lent to other shooters). Steven Warren won a JP as youngest and least experienced. Randy Wight won one at the NSSF Shooter's BBQ/Junior Benefit. Juliann Crowder won one in the RO drawing. Mike Payne was drawn, but he asked them to draw a different RO (very generous) and Julianna won! She has been taking care of us all this week and a half and it is well-deserved!

There were so many other amazing prizes! Over $300,000 in all!!! Please check out our website to see all the generous sponsors!!! :bow::bow::bow:

That's all for now! I will be asking some questions about next year a bit later...must clean-up and sleep now!

Thanks to all the amazing International Shooters who came so far! Thanks to all the RO's who travelled AND worked so hard!!

Thanks to the shooters who are so supportive!!!

When they interviewed me for "Shooting USA" I said 3-Gunners are the greatest people in the world!! The International Shooters mentioned how welcome they felt and how much fun they had!!!

Thanks to all of you!!!

:wub: Denise and JJ

Edited by Benelli Chick

Finally home...not done unpacking though! :eatdrink:

Hope all of you had a great time! Thanks to all the staff for cleaning up so well. We had less to clean up after than ever before, and more stages!!! The staff really did an amazing job!

When all was said and done, we had shooters from 11 countries and over 29 US states! Over 100 sponsors, 15 stages, $300,000 in prizes including $20,000 in cash!

Please remember to send in your sponsor postcards AND email the sponsors to say thank-you! They were SOOOO generous! JP Enterprises alone contributed 9 rifles to the prizes AND more still!!!! :bow::bow:

Regular year next year...August 13-15, 2014!

Question: Usually, we do 9 stages Thursday through Saturday. 4-3-2 or 3-4-2. On Saturday, we tear down, do the DPMS Junior Shoot-off and more...prize table around 3 pm.

But, this year, the staff felt really great about being able to tear down and relax Saturday evening. So, my question is...How would you feel about shooting 3 stages a day, Thursday through Saturday, then a quick morning on Sunday for Shoot-Offs and prizes? Out by noon!

Oh yeah - would you like to do a special team shoot-off again next year?? Was it fun??? :huh:

Why move it back 2 weeks? That is the first week of school and the same weekend that Crimson Trace has been 3 years.

Thursday through Saturday, then a quick morning on Sunday for Shoot-Offs and prizes? Out by noon!

That part sounds good.

Why move it back 2 weeks? That is the first week of school and the same weekend that Crimson Trace has been 3 years.

Thursday through Saturday, then a quick morning on Sunday for Shoot-Offs and prizes? Out by noon!

That part sounds good.

Because the odd weekend and the schedule with International YHEC at the Whittington Center in odd years, we go AFTER them and Scheutzen. Just was the best weekend we could schedule for 2015. We took up the whole place this year!!! We were everywhere!!! :surprise:

Hope all of you had a great time! Thanks to all the staff for cleaning up so well. We had less to clean up after than ever before, and more stages!!! The staff really did an amazing job!

When all was said and done, we had shooters from 11 countries and over 29 US states! Over 100 sponsors, 15 stages, $300,000 in prizes including $20,000 in cash!

Please remember to send in your sponsor postcards AND email the sponsors to say thank-you! They were SOOOO generous! JP Enterprises alone contributed 9 rifles to the prizes AND more still!!!! :bow::bow:

Question: Usually, we do 9 stages Thursday through Saturday. 4-3-2 or 3-4-2. On Saturday, we tear down, do the DPMS Junior Shoot-off and more...prize table around 3 pm.

But, this year, the staff felt really great about being able to tear down and relax Saturday evening. So, my question is...How would you feel about shooting 3 stages a day, Thursday through Saturday, then a quick morning on Sunday for Shoot-Offs and prizes? Out by noon!

Oh yeah - would you like to do a special team shoot-off again next year?? Was it fun??? :huh:

This sounds like a decent schedule, but I would like to see the stage count bumped up to 11. One of the common comments I heard was that 3 stages a day was few enough that there was a lot of down time between stages and competitors found it difficult to keep their minds in the game. When I inquired further, they commonly stated that 4 stages a day would be perfect and 5 would be too much. With 11 stages, we could do 4,4,3 and wrap things up Sun morning. I of course enjoyed the team event and would pay to do it again.

Finally got home about 4:30 this afternoon. Everything went smoothly at ABQ, unlike in May's return from He Man.

Enough can not be said about the undertaking by Denise, JJ, and the entire staff, many of whom traveled from distant states to let us all come and play at the most scenic shooting facility in the US.

A very heartfelt thank you to John Paul, for his continued support of this match, and the excellent products from his company. John Paul is a true pioneer in the hot rodding of our beloved AR's.

Stages were challenging as always, set in terrain that can distract you with sights not normally seen at most matches. Such as mule deer grazing in front of targets. We won't get into the snakes, since the ones on the stages were dispatched.

The British shooters were squadded on squad 2. One of which, requested an "adoption" from a US shooter for the match. Stuart Saunders used 2 of my personal guns for the match. Firebird Precision made available rifles for Jon Axe, and Jon Jennings. Para Ordnance loaded P 18, 9mm pistols for the two Jons. These 3 gentlemen were bloody wonderful companions for the week, both on the range, and after hours. I am honored to call them all friends, or "mates". I look forward to shooting with them again next year, and beyond!

A final compliment for the ignored jewell of the Whittington Center. The food staff at Gunslingers 2, at the shotgun building. Their dinner menu surpasses any restaurant in town, and beyond. The mesquite smoked prime rib served this past Saturday night was without question the best beef I've ever eaten. It truly was able to be cut with only a fork. It's always said to support companies that support our sport. Well, shooters, please support the people that not only support our sport, but, serve delicious food as well!

This sounds like a decent schedule, but I would like to see the stage count bumped up to 11. One of the common comments I heard was that 3 stages a day was few enough that there was a lot of down time between stages and competitors found it difficult to keep their minds in the game. When I inquired further, they commonly stated that 4 stages a day would be perfect and 5 would be too much. With 11 stages, we could do 4,4,3 and wrap things up Sun morning. I of course enjoyed the team event and would pay to do it again.

Mike, you obviously didn't ask the older shooters! :roflol:

Congratulations on your He Man Iron (non magnified) win!

No need for 11 stages IMO. I really liked the 3 stages per day. Had more time to spend with friends and enjoy the Whittington Center.

Thanks to everyone who helped put a great match together.

This match was off the chart! 15 stages is not only a big match, but a test of gear and stamina. Amongst the evolutionary changes was steel painted and backers serviced between each squad. There were no targets hidden in difficult to see places and the targets beyond 400 were triple strobed. On my stage 3, we had all steel backed up by glass and I didn't hear any complaints regarding calls on hits. For all the talk of snakes, I didn't see a single one. We did have to run off a persistent doe which wanted to bed down on my range. Anyway, thank you JJ and Denise for all your hard work to make this match happen. I know that this one was especially grueling. Thank you to JP Enterprises for their generous support of the match. I came home with a new LRP-07 and a huge smile on my face.

PS... if you guys liked the target presentations, please say so.

This match was off the chart! 15 stages is not only a big match, but a test of gear and stamina. Amongst the evolutionary changes was steel painted and backers serviced between each squad. There were no targets hidden in difficult to see places and the targets beyond 400 were triple strobed. On my stage 3, we had all steel backed up by glass and I didn't hear any complaints regarding calls on hits. For all the talk of snakes, I didn't see a single one. We did have to run off a persistent doe which wanted to bed down on my range. Anyway, thank you JJ and Denise for all your hard work to make this match happen. I know that this one was especially grueling. Thank you to JP Enterprises for their generous support of the match. I came home with a new LRP-07 and a huge smile on my face.

PS... if you guys liked the target presentations, please say so.

Not so evolutionary or revolutionary! Had backers serviced on most stages between squads last year as well as most stages painted steel between squads or at least morning and afternoon! 4 strobes on strobe targets last year, and glass on all the rifle stages as well. The big change was the 2 - 16 inch targets at 400 or so yards for 4 MOA target designed by Rocky Mountain Targets on 4 and 9. The RO's seemed to be able to see the hits on our new twisters quite well, even though they were backed up with glass!

We did do quite a bit more backer repair this year as I put repair supplies in the RO buckets, but, wow...do you guys like to blow off brand new backers or what. I don't think there was any yellow duct (or duck) tape within a 100 miles!!!

Sadly, some targets were still difficult to see at certain times because of the sun, not so much because of being hidden but just lighting!!! We tried to get the bird stage pointed North to avoid sun issues, but nature does not always line up the way we like!

Hope you all enjoyed the match!!

Oh, by the way Mike...you may not have seen any snakes on your stage, but that might have been the turkey vultures. As I drove up to 3 one time, I saw a flying rattler!!! A turkey vulture took off as I approached with a snake in it's feet and left his friend on the ground looking annoyed!! :surprise: They were there, but they were keeping you safe!! :bow:

Thanks to Mike and all the RO's for the incredible job they did!

Thanks Denise, JJ and the entire staff. As a first time shooter at the JP Rocky Mountain 3 Gun, my expectations were met and exceeded. It was a flat out awesome match. Congratulations to the winners and all who finished. Especially those who shoot Limited-iron and He-man. Thank you to all the sponsors, especially my good friends at Nordic Components and JP Rifles. Thank you for the new JP-15.

Jay

Congratulations Jay! World Champion iron sight shooter! Great job my friend!

Great job to J.J. and Denise! See it really can be painted for at least each squad!! Now to spread the word......it CAN be done!!!!

We had plenty of bull snakes, and a shooter from Texas who was juuuust not having it :)

I liked the target presentations a bunch. The strobe targets are extremely beneficial from the shooter's perspective, but I totally understand the financial and maintenance perspective. The 400y plates that were supposed to pivot indicated like crap during the staff shoot. I don't know if the glass man on those stages came up with anything.

Maybe switch to watermelons.

We had plenty of bull snakes, and a shooter from Texas who was juuuust not having it :)

I liked the target presentations a bunch. The strobe targets are extremely beneficial from the shooter's perspective, but I totally understand the financial and maintenance perspective. The 400y plates that were supposed to pivot indicated like crap during the staff shoot. I don't know if the glass man on those stages came up with anything.

Maybe switch to watermelons.

Watermelons! I like that! Why use falling targets when they can explode! Sweet!