Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best price for 1,000 rounds of brass cased .223?

Pro2AInPA

I need a case of 1,000 rounds of BRASS cased .223 ammo at the best price possible. Suggestions?

It will be used at 75 yards and closer - match accuracy isn't important. It just needs to reliably run an 18" rifle gas gun with JP adjustable gas block and lightened carrier.

Edited by Pro2AInPA

Bitterroot Valley Ammunition (BVAC) at Cheaper Than Dirt

BVAC at CTD

Thanks Jesse. That comes in at $338/k. Palmetto State Armory has PRVI 62gr for 309/k, Federal AE 55gr for 299.90/k, and PMC 55gr for 309/k. I'm hoping I can find something for less than the Federal AE, but I doubt it.

Edited by Pro2AInPA

There some deals on the Hornady steel case "training ammo". $280.00 plus shipping per 1k. Don't let the steel case spook you...

For brass case ammo, you're not going to get any better than 300-ish per 1k (plus shipping) for the next few months.

This ammo will be fed to a new CTR-02 upper and John Paul strongly urged me to avoid feeding it steel . . .

There some deals on the Hornady steel case "training ammo". $280.00 plus shipping per 1k. Don't let the steel case spook you...

For brass case ammo, you're not going to get any better than 300-ish per 1k (plus shipping) for the next few months.

This ammo will be fed to a new CTR-02 upper and John Paul strongly urged me to avoid feeding it steel . . .

Fair enough.

Ah.....I was about to suggest the same as middle man. That Hornady Training stuff is the unsung accuracy bargain of .223 ammo - I will happily pass up the brass to get it! But if not recommended for your rifle, I agree with the others, I'd say $300/k will be the best deal on brass.

Mine has eaten a bunch of steel cased ammo. In fact that is probably the most it has seen. I did have slight problem with my bolt recently with less than 3k in it. Surely that wasn't related to the steel cased ammo?

Mine has eaten a bunch of steel cased ammo. In fact that is probably the most it has seen. I did have slight problem with my bolt recently with less than 3k in it. Surely that wasn't related to the steel cased ammo?

Interesting. I was just going by what JP himself told me. However, I run steel through a stainless .223 Wylde already . . .

I have a bunch of Tula. I'll try a few boxes through the CTR-02 before I buy anything else.

Oh yeah, before anyone gives me crap about shooting cheap ammo in a nice gun, this is for hoser practice and close range matches. I handload the good stuff. :cheers:

Edited by Pro2AInPA

Interesting. I was just going by what JP himself told me. However, I run steel through a stainless .223 Wylde already . . .

I have a bunch of Tula. I'll try a few boxes through the CTR-02 before I buy anything else.

I have had teh Tula/Wolf steel cases stick in teh chamber when I shoot a bunch of it and alternate with brass. The steel stuff that works best for me is the Monarch stuff I get at Academy. It is that brown case with the coating on it. I run it full speed in our local matches and have never had one round give me trouble. I even ran a bunch of it at the Ozark match on the hoser stuff.

I have had teh Tula/Wolf steel cases stick in teh chamber when I shoot a bunch of it and alternate with brass. The steel stuff that works best for me is the Monarch stuff I get at Academy. It is that brown case with the coating on it. I run it full speed in our local matches and have never had one round give me trouble. I even ran a bunch of it at the Ozark match on the hoser stuff.

Yeah I never alternate steel and brass without cleaning the chamber. Is that Monarch similar to Brown Bear?

I was under the impression that steel cases accerlerated wear on the extractor. For 3 gun gaming and some pmcs on the extractor with new parts it doesn't sound like steel should be much of a problem.

Is that correct or does steel also damage the barrel chamber?

Yeah I never alternate steel and brass without cleaning the chamber. Is that Monarch similar to Brown Bear?

The steel cased Monarch is Brown Bear to all intents and purposes....comes from the same Barnaul plant.

Another interesting snippet....the Hornady Training stuff also uses the same Barnaul produced primed cases....but they use their own powder and projectiles.

Edited by DanielW

Gee, I may have to try some cheap ammo in the near future... I'm getting sick of loading ammo and my case of MGB 55's is still sitting there waiting for me to work up a load. Gone through a bunch of SMK69's though :blink:

Almost got 500 loaded up for a class with Daniel Horner this weekend... Should be loads of fun :cheers:

I use the PMC for "noncritical" stuff (as if any of what I do is actually critical). It shoots well and the cases are very stout and reload very well. Worth the extra few bucks in my mind.

Edited by Stlhead

Gee, I may have to try some cheap ammo in the near future... I'm getting sick of loading ammo and my case of MGB 55's is still sitting there waiting for me to work up a load. Gone through a bunch of SMK69's though :blink:

Almost got 500 loaded up for a class with Daniel Horner this weekend... Should be loads of fun :cheers:

Try 24.5gr of H335 under those 55's. :cheers: