Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA GM class

Strick

I would also love to have the ability to see what other shooters are classified as on the IDPA site.

Been discussing this on our local forum. My guess is that the classifications on the IDPA site are less than 50% correct. Not IDPA's fault though, if the Club Contacts don't submit classifier scores, then obviously it's not going to get posted. Same thing with match bumps, some MDs are great about getting the info to HQ, others not so much. IRRC, your classification is ultimately what it states on your card?

That is a good point, I know I was an EX for long time according to IDPA because the match bumps were not sent in. Maybe it should be mandatory that MD actually update the website after issuing bumps and classifier scores. IMO it is just part of doing business as a sanctioned IDPA club.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would still love to know how many MA have actually shot the classifier at a MA time.

It's not just limited to MA. There are EX and SS that get a match bump that can't shoot the classifier, and vice versa. It is possible to increase correlation. The classifier splits were arbitrarily determined.

They are also not normally distributed between divisions. One division 10% of the shooters may be MA and another 2%. Due to arbitrarily setting splits and match bumps.

They work well enough, but there's not much real meaning behind the classifier and it needs sanctioned matches with big enough classes to confirm the classifier reults.

Edited by gr7070

I would also love to have the ability to see what other shooters are classified as on the IDPA site.

Been discussing this on our local forum. My guess is that the classifications on the IDPA site are less than 50% correct. Not IDPA's fault though, if the Club Contacts don't submit classifier scores, then obviously it's not going to get posted. Same thing with match bumps, some MDs are great about getting the info to HQ, others not so much. IRRC, your classification is ultimately what it states on your card?

Until the clubs are required to use the database it will be of no use in validating a shooters credentials. I would like to see it be made a mandatory requirement for clubs to update the database online for sanctioned matches and classifiers.

Edited by Gregg K

Wow! I was under the assumption that clubs DID upload all classifiers and match bumps. I know for certain that what's done in my area!

FWIW- I currently can shoot the classifiers at the levels I'm currently at. I got the bump to SSP Ma from a classifier. I was a couple tenths from ESP Ma classifier and shortly after got a match bump to ESP Ma. Most of my friends can do the same. There are and always will be outliers.

Edited by lugnut

I've had to send email's to sanctioned match directors, asking them to update my classifications from bumps. I was showing up SS in SSP for a long time because of this.

I try to have my club's classifier scores uploaded the week after the match, especially if there is a sanctioned match approaching.

Edited by prreed10

• 2 weeks later...

that's because cream always floats to the top!

*I have Master, Moments....

At the club I shoot at most, the score sheet is almost invariably all the Masters in a block at the top, followed by the Experts in a block, followed by the Sharpshooters, followed by the Marksmen, followed by the Unclassed. Occasionally you may see an Expert having a really good day outshoot a Master who isn't, a Sharpshooter outshoot an Expert,and so on down the line, but in general the classes run true. Which just says to me that, yes, the classifier actually does do a really good job measuring almost all the skills needed to do well in matches.

• 1 month later...

I personally don't care one way or another I compete to win, not my class but the match.

I think that's common amongst the top shooters in the sport like yourself, however you could also ask why have any classes at all for that matter? Seriously. Not suggesting we do that but it wouldn't matter too much to me. Not that it would ever happen.

I'm far far far from a 'top shooter', but I feel the same way. I don't really see the point for all the different classes. Is it just to be able to get a trophy in the beginner senior novice amputee transgender class by beating the one other guy/gal that showed up? I've only shot 2 matches, but I mostly looked at the overall, and other ssp scores. I figure in future matches I'll be able to gauge whether I'm improving by whether I move up overall, not by whether I get lucky and 3 people in my class have a bad day.

I also race motorcycles off-road, and we have skill-level divisions there too, but that makes more sense to me from a safety standpoint, since everyone is shoulder to shoulder at the same time. For sure, many folks do seem to want to stay in the novice class as long as possible so they can get a plastic trophy by beating both other 40+ novice redheaded 250cc catholic riders.

Of course, this is only my own thoughts about my own competition. For those folks who are motivated by the trophy, that's cool, but I only need the results. So I guess basically I'm saying it really makes no difference whatsoever to me what gets done with more classes or less classes or whatever.

Edited by motosapiens