Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

reduce nervousness - get faster - buy a shot timer

ez__

I have had problems being nervous when the timer sounds and sometimes forget my stage strategy with the stress. I had someone tell me they had the same issues and the best way to get over it was to incorporate using the timer during practice at the range and dry fire practice at home. I got to say it really does help. I am more focused during practice because I write down and track my time. I have improved my times and have more confidence standing there waiting for that buzzer to sound.

I bought a second hand shot timer and it lasted only about a month. I guess you get what you pay for... Anyone using a shot timer that is really good quality that wont break the bank? ez

I have a pocket Pro II that I really like. Simple, fairly rugged and not too expensive. A timer is a great investment for your shooting improvement. Lot of people including myself use the par time function while dry firing to improve draw times, transitions, reloads, etc.

Check out this thread for a TON of info on timers: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14608&hl=best%20timer&st=0

CAZ

• 3 weeks later...

I have a pocket Pro II that I really like. Simple, fairly rugged and not too expensive. A timer is a great investment for your shooting improvement. Lot of people including myself use the par time function while dry firing to improve draw times, transitions, reloads, etc.

Check out this thread for a TON of info on timers: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14608&hl=best%20timer&st=0

CAZ

Are you talking about a Pocket Pro 2? How do you use it for drills without shooting live ammo to trigger the counter?

CAZ

Are you talking about a Pocket Pro 2? How do you use it for drills without shooting live ammo to trigger the counter?

You can use the par time feature. Set it for 1.5 sec or so for draw or reload, two beeps one to start and one at the end of the time you set. It does not keep shot strings without live ammo, if that's what you were asking. Also has a delay feature at the start of the beep.

Pat

if you are going to shoot a match with a timer, it only makes sense to practice with one. A) you can track progress in regards to time on certain drills. B) you get used to hearing a beep and begining movement at the start of the beep

CAZ

You can use the par time feature. Set it for 1.5 sec or so for draw or reload, two beeps one to start and one at the end of the time you set. It does not keep shot strings without live ammo, if that's what you were asking. Also has a delay feature at the start of the beep.

Pat

Now it make sense.... I have never used the par function on mine, but now I will. Thanks!

I've started dry fire practicing with the predator tactical online par timer. I hook my laptop up to my bigscreen so it gives me something to point at by making the target bigger. I'm planning on getting a real timer after I recover from my start up costs for the sport (I'm a newbie)

I also struggle with my mind going blank when I hear beep.

here is a quick tip...start your movement (draw, load, moving, etc...) for the COF at the beginning of the beep, don't wait for the beep to finish. If I remember correctly the beep takes apx .3 sec (can anyone confirm or correct?) You can gain quite a few tenths by using that one little trick alone :cheers:

CAZ

• 1 year later...

here is a quick tip...start your movement (draw, load, moving, etc...) for the COF at the beginning of the beep, don't wait for the beep to finish. If I remember correctly the beep takes apx .3 sec (can anyone confirm or correct?) You can gain quite a few tenths by using that one little trick alone :cheers: CAZ

On my current timer (CED6000) it is 0.5 seconds for the start beep and 0.3 for the stop beep on par times. I've also owned the old style PACT club timer and it seems like the beeps were the same length.

Anyway, GO at the "B" not at the "P" when the timer BeePs. It does make a difference in draw times which is especially important in steel challenge type matches, arguably less so in IPSC courses.

Edit: Self doubt crept in and I consulted the owners manual - 0.5 seconds for the start beep, 0.3 seconds for the par time stop beep. Sorry about the initial wrong info in my post - it has been corrected.

Edited by Bamboo

• 3 weeks later...

here is a quick tip...start your movement (draw, load, moving, etc...) for the COF at the beginning of the beep, don't wait for the beep to finish. If I remember correctly the beep takes apx .3 sec (can anyone confirm or correct?) You can gain quite a few tenths by using that one little trick alone :cheers: CAZ

On my current timer (CED6000) it is 0.5 seconds for the start beep and 0.3 for the stop beep on par times. I've also owned the old style PACT club timer and it seems like the beeps were the same length.

Anyway, GO at the "B" not at the "P" when the timer BeePs. It does make a difference in draw times which is especially important in steel challenge type matches, arguably less so in IPSC courses.

Edit: Self doubt crept in and I consulted the owners manual - 0.5 seconds for the start beep, 0.3 seconds for the par time stop beep. Sorry about the initial wrong info in my post - it has been corrected.

The CED7000 also has a 0.5 seconds for the start beep, 0.3 seconds for the par time stop beep. So the shortest par time that can be used is 0.6 seconds. Training myself to react to the "B" and not the "P" gave me almost a "free" half of a second. The Clubs that I shoot at use the CED7000 so by training with the same timer, I hear and respond to the "same" beep. Another good feature with the CED7000 is that you can select a loud or soft beep. this comes in handy when there may be people in the house that do not appreciate the value of draw practice, transition practice and reload practice done while using a par timer while they are watching TV.

+1 on Matt Burkett's online timer. It's free!!

It's also nice because it'll keep playing over and over again without me having to push a button every time or whatever. It's all I use for my dry-fire par timer needs anymore.

• 1 month later...

For dry fire I've been pretty happy with IPSC Shot Timer (Beta) for my Android from the Play Store - free. Highly recommend learning to use and adjust it at home using dry fire, first, and then going to the range for live fire. My first live fire did not go well, but I was trying to learn to use it and drill at the same time. Dumb mistake.

happy shooting, dv

For dry fire I've been pretty happy with IPSC Shot Timer (Beta) for my Android from the Play Store - free. Highly recommend learning to use and adjust it at home using dry fire, first, and then going to the range for live fire. My first live fire did not go well, but I was trying to learn to use it and drill at the same time. Dumb mistake.

happy shooting, dv

Thanks for mentioning this, I installed it on my android phone and will use it for dry fire practice. The other thing I like about it, I can plug in my headphones and use my timer without driving everyone INSANE...

• 3 weeks later...

I have been using the free shot timer for the iPhone and it works pretty well for dry fire practice. I set the par time and a random start and you can get a feel for how you are drawing to sight picture. Also used it to practice reloads.

And, if you yell BANG! Loud enough you can get shot times. Lol

I have been using the free shot timer for the iPhone and it works pretty well for dry fire practice. I set the par time and a random start and you can get a feel for how you are drawing to sight picture. Also used it to practice reloads.

And, if you yell BANG! Loud enough you can get shot times. Lol

Yes, I use it for dry fire reload practice also. And WTH is an add karma button? That last sentence was pretty funny.

Happy shooting, dv

• 5 months later...

I have been using the CED7000 and it seems to be really nice. Has PAR times and can actually do multiple PAR times for doing dry-fire and mag loading. You can also adjust the volume for the speaker.