Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting a slot to the Nationals

Bill Schwab

Guys/Gals,

I'm an IDPA shooter who's starting to shy away from IDPA and look more seriously at IPSC.  As such I am planning on attending the Nationals next year and competing in Limited 10, but I'm a bit confused about a few things.

First, how the hell do you get a slot to the Nationals?  I've read bits and pieces about a club thing, and shooting an Area championship.  I wasn't able to locate anything on the USPSA website...help?

I assume that Lim 10 shooters compete in the Limited Nationals only, right?  All the divisions and only a Limited and Unlimited Nationals kinda confuses me.

Any other pertinent advice would be appreciated too.  I'm up to speed on the possibility of the Nationals not being at PASA next year.

Bill

There are few ways to win a slot to the Nationals...

The Sections are given some for the clubs, some tournament matches are given some and the Area matches are given some.  (You can view the minutes of the recent BOD meetings to try to glean the current policy!)

Your local club, section and Area, should all have published slot distribution policies.

If you don't win one from the above mentioned... you can just buy one!  Around February of next year, call Kim Welke in the USPSA Office... she'll put you on the wait list and then will call you when you're name comes up.

A few things to remember:

1.  "earned" slots are cheaper than purchased slots.

2.  When Kim calls, she'll ask for your credit card number!

I believe that everybody that called her got a callback with the option to buy a slot.  I did, but turned it down :-)

The Limited Nationals currently are held for Limited, Limited 10, Production and Revolver.  The Open Nationals are just that - they only score Open.  I have however, seen Limited shooters participate at the Opens for the experience.  I have not seen Open shooters at the Limiteds (and I've been to the last 4!)