Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grip - High Thumbs vs Low Thumbs

Niner

I have read the books and watched the videos regarding the new (to me) standard in grips of pointing both thumbs forward without applying pressure to the slide. I have done the Burkett timing drills and adjusted my grip to optimize my groups as instructed. The problem is, I find that I can still get tighter groups using the old grip (which I have been using all my life) of low thumbs with the support hand thumb over the top of the strong hand thumb and squeezing the gun a little harder.

I have tried shooting the high thumbs exclusively for about a month (just over 1000 rnds), but at the range today I finished off the session using my old grip and got much tighter groups. What do I do? Stick with it and it will come to me eventually - or go back to my old grip. I don't want to be limited by an inferior grip but on the other hand I am lacking the confidence in high thumbs if a precision or long distance shot is needed.

What do you mean by tighter groups? Are you still getting your hits? A higher grip helps with controlling the gun through recoil and that is what you are after, getting the gun back on target quickly and efficiently.

You also didn't mention what type of gun you are using. If you are using a 1911/2011 or a gun with a thumb safety riding the thumb below the safety can sometimes lead to bumping the safety on inadvertently.

Currently shooting Glocks. I have the same issue with 1911's and Hi-powers although for the last month I have been shooting a Glock exclusively trying to iron out this grip. I want to shoot the Glock in production and in SSP in IDPA.

Group size at 15 yds with low thumbs is 3-4 inches at rapid fire. Using high thumbs it is 6-8 inches at rapid fire. Can still get decent hits with the high thumbs at 15 yds and closer, but out at 25 yds it is unacceptable.

Personally, I have a lot easier time controlling the recoil and my gun with a high grip, but I can see where if you have always used low grips, old habits are hard to break. It took me a while to raise my grips too, but now I am having much more consistent results. I would suggest that you continue to practice raising your grip, and see if your patterns don't improve over time. I suspect that over time your high grip will become much tighter. I know mine did.

David S.

from a recoil control standpoint, the high thumb grip is better for this reason, with a high thumb grip you are able to contact the whole grip surface with your weakhand palm, somthing you would not be able to do with a thumb over or low thumb grip, i have actually gotten a finger in the gap left by shooters who use the low grip, that gap is air, and not doing anything for recoil control, the high thumb grip is adaptable to just about any firearm out there

• 4 weeks later...

Check this out:

http://www.personaldefensenetwork.com/articles/handguns/maximizing-the-combat-grip/

It is likely that you are not quite optimizing your new technique yet.

woaw. great article.

from what i see,i'm not using a fine tuned grip, essentialy i use a grip with the weak hand trigger finger wrapped on the front of the trigger guard(old style),it might be the reason for inconsistent following shot.

i think i'm going to let down the weak hand trigger finger on the front trigger guard,it might help to close the space left between both hands on the left(weak side) side grip.

i just dont feel comfortable the weak hand thumb riding realy forward on the frame...i'll try and see, i have long fingers, not sure it would work....