Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is it hard to reload...

chino

I totally agree that the money thing is very subjective, but that doesn't stop me from using that excuse with my wife. :lol:

A huge reason why I like reloading is I shoot stuff you just can't buy unless you pay someone to make it custom for you. I shoot nearly all semi wadcutters. The nice round holes they make are much easier for my tired eyes to see. To top it off, due to arthritis and old age, I don't do well with recoil anymore. So try buying 9mm 115 grain SWC, low power loads, or 45 acp 200 grain SWC low power loads and you'll see what I mean. :D

Edited by Tom S.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No monetary savings, incredible waste of time, huge pile of necessary equipment making a constant mess in your house, and picking the brass sucks! But you get the ammo you want, and it helps to spread the ammo cost over longer time... Buy a ton of brass one month, then a truckload of bullets the next, and stockpile powder and primers continuosly... Then it feels like its free when you actually shoot them! :cheers::rolleyes:

Edited by askomiko

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I'll give you six

1) It's easy

2) You'll cut your cost in half

3) Won't lose any accuracy, might gain some

4) Much, much, much better recoil control

5) Your friends will think you're cool

6) Chicks dig it

Number 6 is true!!! Ever since I started reloading back in "06" I got women all over the place. I'm like a Hugh Hefner

Alot of truth previously in this thread.

I suggest taking it a step at a time and buying a single stage press and working that for a while before ya step up to a Dillion 650 or another progressive. A RCBS Rock Chucker for instance wont cost ya that much and will let ya experiment, and get used to the process. Walk before ya run kinda thing...

It really will surprise you how easy it is.

My two cents, your mileage may vary...

I've been reloading since 1969 and that is the best advice anyone can give a new reloader. Walk before you run.

Reloading is a simple mechanical process. It's really not much different than cleaning a gun, changing a light bulb, or baking a cake. If you follow the 'steps' correctly, good things result.

Basically, all you are doing is returning the fired brass to its original dimensions and removing the spent primer. That is done with one die. Then you bell the case mouth slightly to allow a new bullet to be seated, another die does that. Then you install a news primer; there are various tools for that. Then you add the appropriate charge of the appropriate powder with a volume drop powder measure, and there is much data on this forum to tell you the appropriate powders and charges. Then you stick a bullet in the case and seat it; another die does that. Revolvers often use a roll crimp in that process and the revolver bullet seating dies do that. Semi-autos normally require a taper crimp, and a seperate dies does that.

A single stage press is the best way to learn all of that correctly, and safely. Once learned, you can go for high volume automation.

I agree in principle with single stage press concept, but I bought the 1050 right off the bat ... once I worked through each stage with a single round it was pretty easy.

It's really satisfying to hear the rounds drop in the bucket!

• 4 months later...

I got my 550 last week. I always looked at reloading like a black art. It is not. Pretty easy actually. The hardest part of reloading is getting the tools and components. The process is simple. My 550 took about 2 hours to set up from opening the box to pulling the lever. Just get one and see...

Well, actually my non-shooting friends call me bomber and think I'll be arrested and prosecuted for the amount of bullets, powder and primers I have stored. biggrin.gif

But I try to look cool anyway! laugh.gif

what he said...lol

• 1 year later...

I buy win. white box .40 for $14.95 per 100 rnds.

WOW!!!

If I could buy .40 (or even 9mm) for $15/100 rounds ($7.50/box of 50),

I'd sell my reloader.

The bullets alone are $12.00, plus cases, powder & primers.

Used to be able to do that - many years ago - but not anymore.

And, you don't have to try to find powder to reload.

Why spend $1200 for a 650 with case feeder - that's 160 boxes

of ammo - and you don't have to do anything. :bow: :bow: :bow:

I buy win. white box .40 for $14.95 per 100 rnds.

WOW!!!

If I could buy .40 (or even 9mm) for $15/100 rounds ($7.50/box of 50),

I'd sell my reloader.

The bullets alone are $12.00, plus cases, powder & primers.

Used to be able to do that - many years ago - but not anymore.

And, you don't have to try to find powder to reload.

Why spend $1200 for a 650 with case feeder - that's 160 boxes

of ammo - and you don't have to do anything. :bow: :bow: :bow:

Holy thread revival Batman!

It is very hard to reload. After four presses, three scales, caliber conversations, widgets, brass waiting to be cleaned, stacks of components and two reloading dogs to assist- It gets hard. Wife of 30 years wants to give me honey do list.

It can be done early in the morning when it's quiet and no one is looking.

also have immediate opening for reloading apprentice. Requirements are simple. Pass a simple interview, have a willingness to learn and read. Must enjoy coffee and iced tea. No matter what else happens don't say anything bad about my jack Russell

Whose first?

PM me your number and address and I'll bring my wife of thirty yrs, introduce the girls and we will have plenty of reloading time. I can always use extra advice in one form or another. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk