Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

308 loose case necks

Mattog22

I've been reloading a lot of LC 7.62 brass and occasionally I get one where I feel a lot of resistance seating the bullet and when it comes out it is pushed too far into the case and is loose, the only thing keeping it from falling all the way in is it's sitting on the powder. I'm having a problem understanding why it feels tighter seating and is pushed all the way past the neck. I keep loading and all my others are fine, nice tight in the case neck. I am not crimping either because I haven't needed to ever. Is this a problem with my reloading or is this just worn out case necks that aren't sizing down enough? Just wouldn't think I'd feel resistance if that were the case. This brass was bought once fired and reloaded 1 time since. This only happens in about 1-2/100.

Thanks,

Matt

I've been reloading a lot of LC 7.62 brass and occasionally I get one where I feel a lot of resistance seating the bullet and when it comes out it is pushed too far into the case and is loose, the only thing keeping it from falling all the way in is it's sitting on the powder. I'm having a problem understanding why it feels tighter seating and is pushed all the way past the neck. I keep loading and all my others are fine, nice tight in the case neck. I am not crimping either because I haven't needed to ever. Is this a problem with my reloading or is this just worn out case necks that aren't sizing down enough? Just wouldn't think I'd feel resistance if that were the case. This brass was bought once fired and reloaded 1 time since. This only happens in about 1-2/100.

Thanks,

Matt

First thing i would ask is , what dies are you using? Do you have a neck mic so you can measure the diff in the thickness of the brass at the top of the case?? Sounds to like a brass problem off the top of my head but let me know about your stuff and i will try to help . .. :cheers:

Dies are Hornady FL die set. I think I'm resizing them enough because Im very careful to avoid sticking a case in my chamber (my first problem encountered reloading rifle). What exactly is a bushing die? I'm not new to reloading but it's been mostly pistol and rifle is a whole new less forgiving beast.

ETA: I don't have a neck mic, only calipers

Edited by Mattog22

a bushing die is a die that only resizes the neck/mouth of the case. Usually, you can get a generic bushing die, then swap out the actual bushings that are a thousandth apart...say like .241, then a .242, then a .243 or a .244 for example.

unlike a full length resizing die it doesn't work (and subsequently) work harden the brass everywhere. just the neck/mouth.

if I recall correctly, the benchrest shooters use the bushing dies heavily since their cases are going to go back right into the rifles they were fired in so they don't have a need for full length resizing.

Did you check if the odd one's were from a different production run?

I will check them tonight and see if I can find any similarities in the brass

What kind of bullets?

A couple of years ago, I bought a pile of cheap bullets ( I THINK they were from Weidner's) and they did the same thing. :surprise:

This may be my problem, these are some cheap military bullets maybe from Wideners but I can't remember. I should have checked that earlier :surprise:

Edited by Mattog22