Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Foods For Muscle Recovery

JimmyZip

Cottage cheese at night, and whey protein during workouts.

There is an awful lot to post workout recovery, but to the extent you are interested in the role of protein in the process, I really like this article:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/11/10/do-you-secretly-suspect-that-something-is-wrong-with-your-protein-supplement.aspx

It's more in depth than most will be interested in, but it's good. If you want a source for good quality whey protein (raw, grass fed, organic, etc.) try Vital Whey through Azure Standard. It's still a bit pricey, but less than Mercola's (admittedly excellent) stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

Post W/O replacement of depleted muscle glycogen is beneficial. 3+ for chocolate milk as it contains the 4 to 1 ratio of carbs/protein you should be looking for looking for as carbs absorb better in the presence of protein. Lot of good recovery products out there, careful it doesn't turn into a picnic though.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't think you will ever get over that initial shock of trail running, unless you incorporate additional training to prime you for it.

Trail running is so high impact compared to cycling and very different from regular asphalt running.

I would focus on recovery techniques, not just diet. Proper warm-up, cooldown, dynamic stretching prior and static stretching post workout. If you are not familiar with ART and a foam roller, I would suggest researching some. Contrast showers, although brutal, speed up the recovery from soreness quite a bit for me too. Remember, just because you still feel sore does not mean you have not recovered. I found while in a champion wrestling program that junk food impacts performance and recovery DRASTICALLY.

Plyometric training year 'round will help prime the muscles and joints too.

• 3 months later...

Think, simple, think cheap. Chocolate milk all the way.

Most energy/recovery/muscle building products are designed for world class athletes. For the rest of us we can achieve excellent results with smart training and smart eating. Think simple, no need to spend$$$$$ on the latest and greatest power food, or exercise gadget.

Does a $3000 custom gun make you a better shooter? No. Learn the basics. Practice the basics.

My 2 cents :blink:

Edited by tracker

• 3 weeks later...

Drink a protein shake as soon after your workout as possible. Some are better than others of course. We've switched from Muscle Milk bought as Costco (pretty cheap) to Gold Standard bought on Amazon (more expensive but better).

Running is fine for cardio, but you'll get a better overall workout if you incorporate resistance training. A simple set of elastic bands can be incredibly effective and so light you can take them on a run and stop periodically to work a muscle group. Or you could just incorporate some calisthenics into your run. Periodic sets of pushups, body-weight squats, burpees, etc.

• 1 year later...

Protein including branch chain amino acids (BCAAs). Food is the best option for protein sources, as it has the most bioavailability, and will be a better option than any supplement. But protein powders are good too, its better to get the protein in some way shape or form than not at all. Also Carbohydrates are very important for recovery. In order to fully relax the muscles and leave the catabolic (protein breakdown) state that is present immediately after a workout and enter an anabolic (protein synthesis) state, you need to replenish the glycogen reserves within those muscles. Glycogen is the carbohydrates stored within the muscles which are used as fuel for short duration activities of high intensity, such as lifting. Replenishing glycogen reserves quickly after a workout will greatly enhance recovery.