Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Foods For Muscle Recovery

JimmyZip

So every year around this time I begin trail running. We have great trails in the mountains here around our valley. Each year, even though I have been riding hills with my bike, and running roadwork, the recovery from the initial shock of trail running is harsh to say the least. I will have trouble walking for at least four days. After that, I'm good to go after that, as the second round of muscular breakdown will take less time maybe 2-3 days, and then after that I should be able to rail run every-other-day without issue.

So what say you muscle and exercise folks? How can I speed my recovery through diet?

BTW I am 41, if age means anything.

JZ

Insulin is an anabolic hormone, it will help you recover and help with muscle growth...so an insulin spike after training may help. I personally try to keep insulin spiking foods to a minimum except for after training....this is the time to consume some simple carbs: In my case, a bit of ice cream. Outside of that, just try to eat healthy and eliminate the junk. I don't take supplements of any kind and still make quick gains, mostly from being young....but lots of fruit/veggies and lean meat/seafood is better than any supplement.

Dave

Try to replenish your body within an hour or so (sooner better) after your workout/run/etc. You're body is in "consume" mode and providing good clean fuel right after a workout will greatly aid your recovery and next workout.

Nice time to consume proteins too...ymmv. And of course re-hydrate during this time too.

Search: glycogen window

Yeah now we are in our 40's recovery from everything seems to take longer...sux... :angry2:

And :cheers: for getting out there!

• 2 weeks later...

Good to see there are other mtbr's on here. And ones that like hk.

After workouts is when you can "eat anything and get away with it" as one of my kinesiology buddies used to always say. But of course the higher quality the food, the better. You definitely need to refuel with more carbs if you are doing long endurance stuff. Your body is more able to refuel the muscle cells with carbs/sugars immediately after a workout. Some good advice up above too, but I'd go easy on the protien....28 to 30 grams max.

I always hated those first runs of the season. Especially the downhills.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
So every year around this time I begin trail running. We have great trails in the mountains here around our valley. Each year, even though I have been riding hills with my bike, and running roadwork, the recovery from the initial shock of trail running is harsh to say the least. I will have trouble walking for at least four days. After that, I'm good to go after that, as the second round of muscular breakdown will take less time maybe 2-3 days, and then after that I should be able to rail run every-other-day without issue.

So what say you muscle and exercise folks? How can I speed my recovery through diet?

BTW I am 41, if age means anything.

Your problem is a strength and conditioning one, not necessarily a food one. That being said, make sure you get sufficient amounts of protein and fat, preferebly from REAL FOOD (animal products - meat). If you are trying to keep weight (and small, dense LDL particles - the nasty ones) under control as well stay away from anything dairy based (whey, casein) as they are very potent insulin spikers. In regards to the earlier post about insulin being anabolic, what he's referring to is IGF-1 (Insulin-like Growth Factor). It indeed is anabolic, but for someone of your age and activity the costs more than likely far outweigh the benefits.

things to help prevent DOMS

-dynamic or static stretching of target muscles after workout

-being well hydrated before and after workout

-moving around a bit and getting some blood flow through target muscles postworkout

-ice target muscles postworkout, supposedly helps flush out more lactic acid due to constricting the blood vessels.

-you can take some tylenol, aspirin or ibuprofin because they are anti-inflammatory drugs but i read somewhere that it might have some effect on actually improving your performance from progressive workouts.

-stuff like fish-oil tablets, fish, vitamin-C, Multivitamin couldnt hurt either.

Edited by Field

You also have to look at the altitude you are trail running at. When I was in the corps training at Bridgeport CA, base camp was at 6500 ft and everything was up from there. Remember running is different from lifting weights. Depending on how long your runs are you need to take in carbs and protein and liquid. But what type and how much. You have to be aware of how many calories you are burning and how many you are taking in.

I use GU brand gels. 1, 15 min before the run and depending on how long I run I will take one every 45 minutes.

There are other gels pack, gummies and so on. You have to find out which ones you like and how they effect your body. :wacko: If it disagrees with you you will be taking pit stops to let it out. Not fun on a run.

Then do you drink water, low calorie gatorade, regular gatorade or flat coke mixed with water.

I would suggest getting a watch that will let you know how many calories you are burning. A lot of people go for a run and then drink a bottle of gatorade and wonder why they are never loosing weight and so on.

Its all a balancing act.

Runners World has a lot of articles on trail running and some goo articles.

training at Bridgeport CA, base camp was at 6500 ft and everything was up from there.

training at a high altitude is really a sweet deal for improving lung capacity and oxygen delivery.

i was at Idaho Falls for a few days and did some running there, i definitely noticed a difference between 4700ft and sea level

• 3 months later...

Take good care of your body everyone. The older you get the harder it is to recover. My wife keeps me pretty straight. First thing in the morning

I have Cardio Whey Protein. Then later I have my first meal. I try to eat 4 times a day, small meals. Alot of Veggies, light on the red meat. Fish Oil

is important for the heart. Can't run any more for long distance, so we walk alot. Weights, just enough to keep my muscle tone. WATCH THE BACK, DON'T BEND

AT THE WAIST TO PICK THINGS UP, don't care if it is a pencil. Squat, this makes the legs stronger also. My wife takes pretty good care of me, she wants to

keep me around so she can have someone to pick on. Ha!!!!!!! :roflol:

Edited by Bouttime

• 2 months later...

Supplementation is a great asset in terms of muscle recovery. Glutamine comes to mind right off the bat. I know if I'm feeling really sore after a workout, I'll take a 5g dose of glutamine a couple times that day. Usually good to go the day after. Taking a easily digestable protein immediately following your workout will also greatly decrease recovery time. A whey protein isolate does a great job of this. Also a simple carb immediately following your workout will work to stop the chemical breakdown of your muscles. Obviously you want physical breakdown because that leads to size and strength gains but the chemical breakdown is a no no. Implement a post workout shake followed by maybe some gatorade and a little glutamine thrown in for good measure and I'm sure you'll be back on the trails in no time.

Cheers.

I agree with Jake and Field's reply below Jake's.

When you change your training, or start something new, you'll always have soreness. If you are able, the best way to prevent that is to do it year round to a lesser degree. Maybe keep trail runs in your program but at a frequency of 3 to 6 times a month in your "off" season. This will be the most effective way to not get sore and keep in shape.

No supplement in the world will prevent muscle soreness...and I am a Nutritional Biochemist in the nutritional supplement manufacturing business. I could sell just about any supplement to anyone, but I won't sell something that won't work for someone or is misleading in anyway, like most fitness magazines (and their ads) do. Some will assist with recovery to some extent but the soreness will still be there.

As mentioned here, diet certainly helps. I tell clients in a simple way the best way to eat...plants and animals in their most natural state. Of course, I go into more detail than that. But, you get the idea. Heavy skinned berries (like blueberries) are great and should be a staple for their nutrient density. Calorie for calorie, it is hard to beat the nutritional value of blueberries. Fish or fish oil is a must in our diet. Consistency is key...you can't eat right 2 days in a row and then not for a week.

Topical creams that reduce pain and inflammation will probably offer the best, quickest relief. Find a strong one with emu oil, a blend of herbs/spices that reduce inflammation and delivery system that allow it to penetrate the skin into the underlying tissue. The popular one's at the pharmacy that cost around $5 will not work...just make you smell. Don't get me wrong, you need high amounts of camphor and menthol for it to be effective but that's all they have for active ingredients and that won't work.

Good luck!

• 1 month later...

My instructor recommends a little protein before a workout and carbs immediately afterwards. Immediately after a workout your body will absorb and replace nutrients the fastest, with a quick falloff after that.

I work out pretty intensively in the mornings before work, and if I get some food immediately afterwards, it dramatically helps my energy level for the rest of the day (as compared to waiting two hours and eating a meal). Before I figured this out my post-workout periods were miserable.

Nutrients are important to recovery as well. You probably want to bump up the veggies and nutrient rich foods for your meals too.

• 3 months later...