Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hello from Northern Kentucky

E K

Good evening and Hello! My wife and I are about to become proud new owners of pistols. A year ago I never imagined in my wildest dreams this would EVER happen! My father-in-law came down with the 'illness' about a year ago and started to spread the 'fever' by dragging us to the gun range. I initially went to be polite and social and was amazed at how much fun I had!

That single trip has led to many return trips, reading multiple gun magazines, PURCHASING multiple gun magazines, visiting multiple gun stores, and reading whatever I can find on the internet and finally the purchasing of a pistol (I'm already eyeballing my next one!) I think I'm beyond help at this point. The good thing is my wife is having as much fun with it as I am.

With the purchase of the new pistols we also plan on taking the 'conceal/carry' class. In looking for ways to stay 'sharp' I trip across something called 'practical shooting'. I had no idea what I was getting myself into! Fortunately my wife is also very interested in this as well.

I've been looking around and it appears we just happen to be in luck and that this area appears to be very popular with practical shooting/USPSA? I've noticed a lot of people from Ohio/Kentucky on this board.

I'm currently looking at the Miami Rifle & Pistol Club in Batavia, Ohio (30 min for me). From afar, it appears to be a really nice place. We plan to attend the upcoming New Member orientation in October. I also noticed there is a 'practical pistol' league on Friday, September 26th and a USPSA event that Sunday. For those of you familiar with the club is this something non-members can attend and watch without first being members?

Thanks for all the great information to date. I can't wait to get started.

Welcome to the forum. It is a nasty illness and will take over everything you do. I don't know anything about your group, but shooters are the friendliest people on earth and will point you in the right direction.

George

Miami is a good club. You can shoot the matches without being a club member also. Only thing you need is a gun, holster, mag pouches,mags, ears/eyes and ammo. If your short on stuff you could probibibally post what kind of gun on here and get some loaner stuff for a match pretty quick.

E K,

Welcome. I am a member of MR&PC and RO for our matches. Please both you and your wife come on out to the Practical Pistol match on Sunday Sept 26. Registration starts at 9:00 a.m. and shooting starts at 10:00 a.m. There is a new shooter's orientation between the 9:00 a.m and 10:00 a.m. that day. I believe that the league is for MR&PC members only, but Sarge or Dan on here would know more about that than I do.

-Andy

Edited by adively

Hey EK,

Welcome to the forums! Like Andy said, come on out the 26th. The matches are open to the public. Matches are open to the public. Miami Rifle and Pistol is an excellent facility. The internet pictures do not do it justice. You will be hard pressed to find a better range/club in the Cincinnati area.

I am a little different than most shooters in that I personally recommend you take in a match or two as an observer. There is alot to digest and it can be a little overwhelming. But I guarantee you will find more than enough help if you come out and want to get your feet wet.

The Friday night league/practice is open to club members only since the gate is locked other than when an actual match of some kind is going on. I started this as a way to get shooters together to practice. It is much easier to set up a small practice stage if there are at least a few shooters. It is much more fun and productive as well, I feel.

I recommend you also bring the wife to the club this Saturday around 1130 and take in the famous Saturday Steel match. For this match all you need is a gun, 100 rounds of ammo and five bucks each! It is some very good practice if you are thinking of getting into USPSA. It is informal yet safe with just the right amount of pressure. i.e. you are timed and scored for placement. All shooting is stationary and it is great fun!

I'll shoot you a PM on some more details.

Again Welcome!:cheers:

Guys,

I appreciate the comments & willingness to help. I just received an email from Dan today. We will most certainly be there on the 26th. I think we'll more than likely just observe the first time. I look forward to seeing you guys out there.

If you ever feel like traveling south, check out the matches at

www.bgslinc.com

Surge,

I definitely want to do that. It looks like a nice facility. The website says the USPSA matches are the 1st Sunday of the month but the last update was 2009. I don't see any recent information.

E K,

Welcome. I am a member of MR&PC and RO for our matches. Please both you and your wife come on out to the Practical Pistol match on Sunday Sept 26. Registration starts at 9:00 a.m. and shooting starts at 10:00 a.m. There is a new shooter's orientation between the 9:00 a.m and 10:00 a.m. that day. I believe that the league is for MR&PC members only, but Sarge or Dan on here would know more about that than I do.

-Andy

Andy,

I assume I can come and watch the league matches even though I'm not yet a member? We will definitely be there on the 26th.

At BGSL It is still the first sunday of the month. There is an optional side match rotates between shotgun and rifle on the first sunday match. On the 5th sunday of the month(on the months that have them) is a 3gun shoot. What Kind of gun did you get?

Edited by EkuJustice

At BGSL It is still the first sunday of the month. There is an optional side match rotates between shotgun and rifle on the first sunday match. On the 5th sunday of the month(on the months that have them) is a 3gun shoot. What Kind of gun did you get?

I hope to get it Tuesday. I'm seriously considering an M&P9. I'm also familiar with the Glock and XD. The M&P feels like an extension of my hand where I never got comfortable with the Glock or XD. I have a few hundred rounds through both.

E K,

-Andy

Andy,

I assume I can come and watch the league matches even though I'm not yet a member? We will definitely be there on the 26th.

E K,

It is open to everybody on the day of the match just come on in. Everybody gathers in the picnic shelter, just show up between the 9:00 a.m and 10:00 a.m. time frame and you are more than welcome to watch. The covered bridge is closed (some idiot drove a truck that weighed too much over it.) Please check on the MR&PC website for alternate routes. I come from the west side of Cincinnati via NKY (471 to 275), so I take alternate route 1 on the PDF.

-Andy

PS I shoot the M&P9 Pro. I believe Dan Carter shoots a 9L. Sarge used to shoot an M&P but now shoots a Glock 34 or 35? (Sarge correct me if I am wrong.)

Edited by adively

Welcome to the forum! Go WildCats!!

Thanks for the welcome. I am a Bearcat fan however :D

Lol.. Go Cat's then! Lol... My family has land in munfordville, maybe see you around!

Look forward to it.