Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting with lower classed shooters

bbbean

There are lots of threads about shooting with better shooters, and the consensus seems to be that most shooters find it beneficial to be squadded with better/more experienced shooters. That's certainly my experience - My ideal squad has at least a couple of A/M/GM shooters I can watch and/or get pointers from.

But what's it like from the other side? If you're a A/M/GM shooter, does it slow you down to be squadded with U/D/C/B shooters? Does the time spent watching slower/newer shooters make mistakes help you hone your own technique, or is it a distraction for you?

I know a lot of guys that don't watch others shoot in compititions. They are zoned on their game and do not let anything distract them. Others will watch because just maybe they did or saw something they missed.

Besides not all lower class shooters shoot to the best of their ablity on classifiers.

Just to add to the mix, there is something to be said for "shooting maturity" regardless of classification. I have a few GMs and several Ms that are personal friends. While they are better shooters than I, I still have a good handle on the stage plans and the "best" way to shoot a stage. I'll also see things in their plans and execution that they will miss. I try to avoid talking to them if they are within a few of shooting, but I will sometimes make stage suggestions that they have missed. One of the GMs was having a lazy day and walks up right before he shoots and asks me how he should shoot the stage. He follows my plan to a T and won the stage. I'll watch shooters who are classed lower than I am who have been shooting a long time, or are very new. Sometimes different perspectives help.

I believe that every class or any person has something to contribute. I know a doctor who is a C class shooter who gives me great advice on improving my physical performance for both shooting and other sports. I enjoy shooting with people of all classes because it's all about fun and meeting new people. What's great about this sport unlike football, basketball, or golf is you can watch or shoot with the pros.

I think stage etiquette is more important than class of shooter. I've shot with D class and GM class shooters and the one thing I hate is when a shooter is standing in a shooting position during the five minute walk through while others are waiting. Let's go people we have 12 shooters and only 5 minutes to look at this stage.

I bunch of C and D class shooters in a squad can really bog down a match. It takes them longer to shoot a stage, and it takes even longer to score the stage they just shot.

Edit: I'm getting out of this discussion while I still can.....I hope.

Good luck everybody.

Edited by CSEMARTIN

I bunch of C and D class shooters in a squad can really bog down a match. It takes them longer to shoot a stage, and it takes even longer to score the stage they just shot.

When us new D shooters pick a squad sheet to sign up on, and we know very few people, how are we to know what squad to sign up for? Unless everyone's classification is listed on the squad sheet, how do we know that us being there might break the camels back with us being too many?

This is actually a timely topic as I've struggled with not wanting to sign into the "wrong" squad. I get there early and then stand around hoping to see one of the few people I've shot with before show up. So, I've been wondering just what the proper etiquette is.

In my experience, it doesn't make you worse - it makes you comfortable.

Getting complacent is bad if you're trying to take "the big win" but if it's just a fun match - I care more about how good the people are I'm shooting with. :D

Edited by DyNo!

When us new D shooters pick a squad sheet to sign up on, and we know very few people, how are we to know what squad to sign up for? Unless everyone's classification is listed on the squad sheet, how do we know that us being there might break the camels back with us being too many?

This is actually a timely topic as I've struggled with not wanting to sign into the "wrong" squad. I get there early and then stand around hoping to see one of the few people I've shot with before show up. So, I've been wondering just what the proper etiquette is.

Pick a group and join it.... Do your share and try to be friendly to those who are friendly to you. If everyone is a butt you have picked the wrong squad.

Their problem...not yours. wink.gif

I bunch of C and D class shooters in a squad can really bog down a match. .

I take exception to that statement. What makes a good match is a hard working squad that tapes and sets and if they take 30 or 40 seconds to shoot rather than 15, all that time is a wash when they get with it tapeing and setting. I may not shoot nor run as fast as the young pups but I tape and set with the best of them.

To be fair its how well the shooters work not their class.

Since I shoot 2 matches a month that have mostly Noobs and I'm the BigDawg, I have to say any safe, couterious, hard working shooter is a pleasure to shoot with, even if he or she takes 3 or 4 times as long to shoot the course of fire.

At club level matches, who else will GM, M, and A shooters shoot with ??? At our local matches, we frequently have lots of new shooters. If you put all the best in one squad and all the rest in another, I imagine this would bog things down even more with fast squads waiting till slow squads clear the stages.

I agree with spreading everyone out as much as possible. Also, I frequently see really good shooters offering words of advice and encouragement to less experienced shooters, which is a good thing for the sport.

Part of the fun of our sport is being able to shoot with truly great shooters in the same matches. If you play golf, what are the odds you can play the same match as Tiger Woods......

I've been on slow squads with a bunch of great shooters, fast squads with more average shooters and the opposite of both of those. It really just depends on who it is and how the dynamics of the group sort of work out. There are a few folks that I've avoided over the years...they won't do any work during the match, or seem to always cause some sort of drama that I can live without. R,

There are a few folks that I've avoided over the years...they won't do any work during the match, or seem to always cause some sort of drama that I can live without. R,

Bart beat me to it.

I don't care what your classification card says at the local club. Help out and have fun.

Most of the time I shoot with my friends, most of whom are better shooters than I am and who also play in Divisions other than my own. I will shoot with others in my Division, again most of them are better than I am.

That being said, since I am one of the long timers at the club, am one of the club officers, am at an intermediate level (A), and also help teach my club's intro course, I am one of the folks the new people will sometimes hit up for advice.

I need to remind myself sometimes that the club's long term survival depends on recruiting, retaining and training up good people to take the place of those who will eventually move on. Being a good and visible example and mentor is something the club needs. Yes, it takes a bit away from the time I want to spend improving my shooting, but maybe I'll be improving myself and the club instead.

Like anything that is good/necessary but that runs contrary to self interest, this is sometimes hard for me to do. Still, may be I should get in with the new folks to help them out now and again.

But what's it like from the other side? If you're a A/M/GM shooter, does it slow you down to be squadded with U/D/C/B shooters? Does the time spent watching slower/newer shooters make mistakes help you hone your own technique, or is it a distraction for you?

I think you are getting away from the topic. If you are a GM/M does it slow you down shooting wtih people that are not as fast as you are? When you are shooting against other GM/Ms does it raise your level of competetion orbring it down if you are shooting against C/D class shooters?

If you look at posts throughout this forum, we appear to pride ourselves on how the new and lower class shooters get to shoot with the higher and highest levels, yet we encourage everyone else to shoot with better shooters.

If all I shoot with are better shooters, that helps me, but how does that help that new individual U/D/C shooter?

I think we all have a responsibility to pay it forward and start to incorporate new shooters into established squads of friend and buddies. How else do we encourage participation in setup, running matches and tear down?

I think you are getting away from the topic. If you are a GM/M does it slow you down shooting wtih people that are not as fast as you are? When you are shooting against other GM/Ms does it raise your level of competetion orbring it down if you are shooting against C/D class shooters?

I'll speak on this. I don't mind squadding and shooting with any shooter of any class. I don't mind watching and helping out as much as I can with technique, stage strategy etc. I don't mind breaking down the "why" and explaining my strategy for a stage. I'll do it all day long because that is how I was helped out by the better shooters when I started. There are some things to remember if your a shooter squadding with better shooters and your looking for advice.

1. Even if someone is helping you all day long make sure you don't take away from their game. If they are in the hole don't start asking questions about strategy. That is for

any shooter just not M or GM's. Just be courteous.

2. If you see someone is shooting poorly don't walk and ask "Man, what happened?" Believe it not, Gm's and M's make a ton of mistakes. If your a newer shooter you might not

think they make any mistakes. It may be nothing more than losing a total of 1 or 2secs because they didn't hit their position perfectly. The mistakes are there they

are just not obvious sometimes.

3. If you do squad with GM's or M's don't be afraid to ask questions. If you don't feel comfortable asking questions just make sure you stick around within listening distance.

You can learn quite a bit just listening to conversations about stage strategy.

4. If you see someone sitting off by themselves most of the time thats a hint they want to be left alone. I have only encountered this a few times. Just about everytime it

was the person trying to get their head straight after a bad stage.

5. While asking questions and talking don't forget to set steel and paste targets. I have been guilty of this, just not paying attention.

6. If you see a shooter mentally visualizing a stage don't interupt them.

I bet you would be hard pressed to find GM's/M's that won't help someone. Just don't forget they are there to have fun just like you.

There are only a few people I refuse to squad with and few more I can tolerate some but not much. These are people that are negative or bring drama to a squad. Those that constanstly complain about something just so they can complain.

Flyin

Edited by Flyin40

• 2 weeks later...

Ill shoot with anyone who doesn't ask me for free stuff HAHAHA :goof:

I personally think shooting local matches with different people no matter what their classification is helps everyone. Part of shooting this sport is hanging out with shooters in general having fun. Just because our squad will have 2 Gms and some masters who cares come shoot with us!! Lets have fun!!!