Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sketchup Rules!

StraightUp_OG

Thanks to this wonderful site you all turned me on to Sketchup. I have been messin' with it for a few days now and I have come up with this.

Drop House

It is a basic field course but it is not so much about the stage as the Powerful tool that made it. Google has made it very easy to learn and I can really see the benefit for stage design. I am going to show the dudes in my club and maybe we can start posting the COF like this online before our monthly match. Just a thought anyway.

Thanks again BE'ers this place is sick full of know how!

-OG

Thanks to this wonderful site you all turned me on to Sketchup. I have been messin' with it for a few days now and I have come up with this.

Drop House

It is a basic field course but it is not so much about the stage as the Powerful tool that made it. Google has made it very easy to learn and I can really see the benefit for stage design. I am going to show the dudes in my club and maybe we can start posting the COF like this online before our monthly match. Just a thought anyway.

Thanks again BE'ers this place is sick full of know how!

-OG

Let me be the first to say:

Wow.

:surprise:

And I like the stage too! :cheers:

I struggle with Sketch up. I would love to see someone make a video of how they do it for stage designing. I've tried it before, and after reading this, I downloaded it again, but I'm still lost.

The biggest thing that killed me (and got me straight with the program) is to make sure you stay along the X and Y axis. (red and green lines).

I am in the same boat as Aristotle and Smitty. I could never figure sketchup

out either. The stages look awesome when designed with it. Somebody who is smarter

and has more time then me needs to do a sketch-up for Match directors/Dummies.

Any takers :sight:

Tom

What helped me was going through the video tutorials. They walk you through the basic principles and best practices. It helped me understand alignment using inference. I still don't have it totally down yet but I am getting there. The fact that other users have created objects and uploaded them the 3D Warehouse is a huge time saver but I do want to create custom objects as well. For those who are struggling use the help videos it really makes it easy to learn. Just pause the video and try it in Sketchup!

ETA: I have only been using SU for about week now and if I can do it anyone can! Drop house was the second thing I tried to do, the first was making a chair from the first set of tutorial videos. I can use Camtasia screen capture software and record my steps for the next stage and share that here.

Edited by StraightUp_OG

What I have learned using sketchup is that its easier to copy then delete a item and then put it back where you want it instead of trying to move it. I do all our stages with it. If you guys would play with it some you'll get it figured out.

I do like how you made the movie with it, I have no idea how you did that though.

I'm uploading a video right now of a stage I just threw together. It covers quite a few different aspects that are helpful in putting the stages together. I just kind of went through it without captions and I don't have a mic so I couldn't do any speaking but I hope it is helpful.

A few things to keep in mind.

When moving props, try to stay along the Green or Red Axis.

If you hold CTRL then drag an item using the Move/Copy function, it will copy it instead of just moving it

If you use the Select function, you can hold CTRL to select multiple items (you will see a + next to your cursor). If you do CTRL+SHIFT you will see a minus. This will deselect whatever you click.

I will edit this post with the video when it is done. It's uploading to youtube right now.

Here is the video.

It's not the best stage I've ever drawn but I don't think it came out bad for me just randomly selecting a few props and throwing it together.

Edited by spanky

I do like how you made the movie with it, I have no idea how you did that though.

View => Animation => add slide

You position the first slide at the starting point, add another slide then goto the next position, add another slide rinse and repeat. You can do some basic time tweaks you will see that in View => Animation => Settings.

Then export animation, in the dialog box there is an options button in the lower right, choose the frame rate, aspect ratio and save. It creates an AVI file that I transcoded into a FLV and posted it on my site.

And there you have it!