Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which caliber .9 or .40?

Shooter Grrl

Hi y'all,

I'm getting ready to order David's new glock for him.  Which one should I get to shoot in production division?

I'm leaning towards the .9 for less recoil, and because they're all scored in minor - but I thought I read that a .40 loaded light would have less recoil.  It's definitely going to be either a G34 or G35 :-)

So what's the scoop?

Shooter Grrl,

I personally prefer the Glock 35 in 40. It can be downloaded for prod class and IDPA. It can also be loaded for Lim and Lim 10. I use the same gun for all the sports. I download it for my 9 yr old daughter to shoot. I use 200 gr bullet loaded to about 750 fps for her. the load is way to slow for me but she likes it.

One factor in this choice is that had a few cases of 40 bullets and a 5 gal bucket of brass.    

I think the natural progression is to go to limited  next. This allows the same gun to be used.

Hope this helps.

mike4045

Since you guys pretty much have all the other toys, I guess this will be dedicated to prod, class only? If so I'd go 9mm. The bullets are cheaper (you already have them for super) and recoil is less. I have also found that with 10 rnd mags the 9mm seats easier. For some reason the .40's are tight to get 10 in. This could probably be fixed but why go through the agrravation?

Pat

For a dedicated Production gun my vote goes to the G34.  Nothing wrong with a G17 either.  I think Glock sells G17's with the G34 parts (3.5# connector, extended slide stop/release, extended mag release) if you order it that way.  I figure they might make/sell enough to be Production legal.  

Good for IDPA too.

Every shooter on Earth should own a 9mm Glock.

Quote: from Pat Harrison on 12:08 pm on Oct. 20, 2001

Since you guys pretty much have all the other toys, I guess this will be dedicated to prod, class only

Pat,

Almost... it's for Production class - but I'm also planning on tinkering in IDPA with it - I've been told that our production rigs work well "over there" too :-)

Kath,

If you're planning on shooting either Stock Service Pistol or Enhanced Service Pistol in IDPA, the G34 is the way to go.  I'd use mine for production if I shot production in IPSC.  (Might have to start next year...)  The only way I'd buy a G35 is if I was planning to shoot it in Limited Class.  Last but not least, the bulk of Glocks that have been made to go kaboom have been .40s.  And before anyone jumps on me for that last statement, yes I realize that when a Glock goes kaboom, there's usually a reloader at fault.  Enjoy your "combat tupperware."

There's no such thing as too many Glocks......

Nik,

I thought you were giving them glock things up and coming to the dark side. Dots and comps and really really big mags!! Don't make me come over to jersey and tempt you again!

Kathy,

I have shot the 24 in forty and I use a .40 LDA for production and IDPA. A 140 grain laser cast bullet and 4.3 grains of titegroup at 1.175 like shooting a 22. The down side is bullets are more expensive. The up side is bigger hole for score, I know it can bite you sometimes too!

Like I said the 35 was my choice my 9 yr old shoots it with no problem. She wants a 34 for X-mas. I might have to break down and buy a 9mm. I have never had a problem with recoil, if I did I would go with a nine.

A 40 can be loaded to hit less than a 9mm. It looks like I might be getting her a 9mm. In our area most IDPA shooters are using 9mm. The prod div shooters are going towards the 9mm. I just like the ability to switch div by moving my holster and mag pouches.  

Mike4045

Certainly get a neener. Load Viht. N330 under whatever .355 bullets you have laying around for your Super.

Think about the 17 instead of the 34 though. You can't shoot GSSF Amateur Civilian with the 34. The 17 felt a little better to me than the 34 did. Just the slide action and the way it recoiled.

Whatever you do, ditch the sights and get some Bo-Mars or Heines.

The 34 has a long slide and barrel, with the top of the slide hogged out. So you've got more velocity, which you don't need but doesn't hurt, and a longer sight radius, which may be helpful. They make it feel different from a 17, shooting and pointing. You do get adjustable sights with the 34 and a supposedly better trigger.

The 34 will also have an extended mag release and an extended slide lock/release.  I had to put both on my girlfriend's G17 to make it user friendly for her.

The 34 has the longer barrel and sight radius.  It also should come with a 3.5 pound connector.

Kath,

The parts add up to about $30-60, depending on where you buy them.  The 34, because it's almost an inch longer than the 17, has always felt like it was slightly muzzle heavy compared to everything else they make.  However, I find it to also be the one Glock that points most naturally to me.  I really like the length, both in feel and in increased sight radius.

SG,

Might want to send an email off to see if the 17 can be ran in Production with the extended slide stop and extended mag release (the 3.5 # connector is internal, no problem).

I think they are a factory option on the G17.  A lot of Glocks are sold in a year...

I am sure you can get your hand on a G17 and a G34 to try out can't you?

Another benefit of the G34...you can run a long, tungsten guide rod.  That would give a little more weight out front.

• 1 month later...

Sights-wise on a Glock I was always very happy with the MMC adjustable set-up. This design protects the rear sight blade with a U-shaped cradle of metal that looks for all the world like a miniaturized, refined version of the protective "wings" S&W used to put on their adjustable sights. MMC offers this sight system in three configurations: plain black (BlackSight), three-dot (WhiteSight), and tritium (LightSight). They also offer the rear sight notch in different widths. It's a very, very nice package, that give you the flexibility of adjustables, with the durability of fixed sights. It's pretty cool.