• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Has anyone used XMetal coated bullets for 9 major?  They make all kinds of claims about being clean, safe, chemical free, lubricating and a touch faster than others. 

https://xmetaltargets.com/product/handyman-9-mm-124gr-hi-tek/

These are local for me (in Canada) and I've been able to get good velocity with 6.6 ish gr of WAC with a 124 gr rn.  Gun is a Tanfo Gold Custom Eric.  

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, I have a probably stupid question but i'll ask anyway. I have never shot open but have been considering it. Currently shoot Limited with a .40 and 3-gun with a 9mm. Reload both. It is easier to make PF with heavier bullets and my guns are more controllable with heavier bullets (147 gr 9mm and 180 gr .40). why doesn't this seem to apply to 9mm major? Why run 115 or 124 9mm? 

7 minutes ago, paramajic4 said:

Ok, I have a probably stupid question but i'll ask anyway. I have never shot open but have been considering it. Currently shoot Limited with a .40 and 3-gun with a 9mm. Reload both. It is easier to make PF with heavier bullets and my guns are more controllable with heavier bullets (147 gr 9mm and 180 gr .40). why doesn't this seem to apply to 9mm major? Why run 115 or 124 9mm? 

Compensators change the equation.  With a comp you get less recoil because the gasses are primarily going upward, rather than forward. A light bullet with a lot of powder creates a lot of gas to push down on the muzzle, which reduces the force moving the slide rearward.   For this reason, an open gun also uses a very reduced recoil spring weight, often around 8lbs. 

Gas. Comps change it up 100%
Shoot a 147 production load out of an open gun with 3n38 or hs-6 under a 115g or 124g and you will know and feel the difference! There's more "recoil" but it's all straight back. Very very little up and down motion.

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, aandabooks said:

I loaded uo some 115gr Hornady bullets with my PD load of 8.2gr and lost 22-24PF.  How much higher should I start ladder load testing?  I got a deal on the Hornady at $90/1000 or I wouldn't have bought them.

You mean 22-24 FPS? I would bump it 2/10ths and chrono.

1 hour ago, aandabooks said:

I'm somehow at 150PF with the Hornady bullets.  Same 8.2gr HS-6 under a 115gr Blue Bullet were up at 172PF.  I'm kind of wondering if my chrono was reading right.

Something’s wrong. Shoot another batch maybe on a cloudy day.

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

Something’s wrong. Shoot another batch maybe on a cloudy day.

That's what I was thinking. Today was very sunny when I was shooting.  I had the sun screens on but more shade might be necessary.   I normally only run coated lead and Precision Delta bullets.  Those are interchangeable for powder weights.  This is the first time I've run a Hornady quality bullet outside of loading for rifle.  I figured they required a little more powder to run at the same velocity but loosing that much velocity doesn't seem right.

2 hours ago, aandabooks said:

That's what I was thinking. Today was very sunny when I was shooting.  I had the sun screens on but more shade might be necessary.   I normally only run coated lead and Precision Delta bullets.  Those are interchangeable for powder weights.  This is the first time I've run a Hornady quality bullet outside of loading for rifle.  I figured they required a little more powder to run at the same velocity but loosing that much velocity doesn't seem right.

Lay a target on top with white side down. Works much better for me with a pro chrono digital.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2010 at 3:47 PM, benos said:

To improve search results, If the Topic you start is about a 9mm Major load, please include:

9mm Major

... in the Topic's Title.

be

brian can we create a separate caliber all together for 9 major

5 hours ago, crptrdave said:

Anyone usuing RMR 124 JHP bullets for 9 major? 

I've used MG 124 JHP's for years, but just got a 1,000 of the

RMR's - tried a few of them, and they seem to be equal to

the MG's, for a much lower price.

They are also supposed to be constructed more like a

self defense round than just a target round    :) 

3 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I've used MG 124 JHP's for years, but just got a 1,000 of the

RMR's - tried a few of them, and they seem to be equal to

the MG's, for a much lower price.

Not sure at a much lower price? 3,000 - $270.00  (9¢ per bullet) for seconds?  $0.002 per bullet cheaper. 

3 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

The RMR's run close to 8.5 cents vs about 11-12 cents for the MG, last I looked.

MG 124JHP are normally $360 a case of 3750. Now on sale for $345.

That’s 9.6 cents normally or 9.2 on sale