• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/14/2016 at 3:18 PM, sophiasmith said:

I have used Silhoutte powder for nine major, and it works fine. In fact, it was one of my favorite powders until I started using VV3n37.

Silhouette is a very good 9major powder, but I'm curious why you prefer the 3n37? I have also used WAC, HS-6 and of all these the 3n37 is my least favorite due to the amount of powder spillage I get. 

Although it's very accurate I don't see a major improvement over the other three powders to justify the cost and hassle while loading.

• 1 month later...

Has anybody done velocity testing with different primers?  I ran out of light yesterday when I was chronoing some loads.  Essentially I had two 9Major loads, one at 164PF and one at 174PF, The 164PF load was obviously a hair light and I was hoping to switch from a standard SPP to a SPM primer to snag the 10-20fps I needed to make Major.  I went inside and loaded a handful but like I said, couldn't chrono.  I'm only asking because I really wanna load a bunch up but I'm not sure I'll be home to chrono during daylight hours this week. Yes, I understand its a gamble that I could go minor, but being like 10fps off and having some sound data that says the SPM will knock me over the line is good enough for me right now.

4 minutes ago, 57K said:

Were you using the same powder in both loads? Bumping the charge .1 gr. with the 164 PF load should put you over, but without chronographing you're still taking a risk. SPM primers burn hotter and generate more pressure than a SPP, so it should also put you over 165 PF. I don't know how many rounds you consider a "bunch," but without chronographing beforehand, it might even be worth it to hedge your bet and do both if the powder was the same in the 2 previous loads you mention.

Well the deal is I'm using my Lee Loadmaster just for work-up and it uses those pesky autodisks that don't really let you dial in powder exactly so I'm stuck at the 164/174PF until I can find my misplaced adjustable charge bar.  So yeah, same powder (WAC) at 2 predetermined loads.  I would use my auto driven 1050 but I don't wanna change anything until I get all my Minor Bianchi Cup loads done, which is about 6000rds off still.

As it turns out, I got off work early today so I'll be able to chronograph the SPM/6.6gr load and see if it makes Major.  I was gonna load 500 real quick on the LM, which isn't a lot, but I still wanted some assurance it would stand a chance of making Major if I couldn't find time to check speeds. 

5 minutes ago, RippinSVT said:

I still wanted some assurance it would stand a chance of making Major if I couldn't find time to check speeds. 

You'll have to test it. Some powders show no change in velocity when bumping up to a magnum or rifle primer.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/14/2010 at 7:33 PM, GrumpyOne said:

Coco, I think that's not quite what he asked/meat.

USPSA has 2 separate power factors in which you can shoot (in pistol, anyway), Major and Minor. Major power factor ammo scores higher than minor power factor ammo. Major power factor is anything 165+, where as minor is everything under 165 down to 125. This is how the power factor is calculated: you take the velocity of the round (as fired through a chrono), and multiply it by the weight in grains of the bullet (before firing), then divide by 1000. This requires that a bullet be pulled and weighed. So, a 180 grain bullet, going 1005FPS has a power factor of 180.9 (180 X 1005 / 1000= PF). Minor is generally used in production division, as all rounds, regardless of PF, are scored minor, so people generally load down as low as they can go, to make the gun easier to handle.

i have a question for you do you weigh the bullet and use that weight or use the grain of the bullet that is advertised say 115 because a 115 grain can weigh anywhere from 114.2 -114.8(ps i buy bulk cheap ammo so the differences may be a bit higher)

43 minutes ago, theglockman34 said:

i have a question for you do you weigh the bullet and use that weight or use the grain of the bullet that is advertised say 115 because a 115 grain can weigh anywhere from 114.2 -114.8(ps i buy bulk cheap ammo so the differences may be a bit higher)

Actual weight is used at chrono so it pays to use same

7 hours ago, theglockman34 said:

Sarge got it right. 

• 4 months later...

Hi Guys,

Just about to start reloading and just read the comments on this thread. Please help me out.

1. I got my starter reloading machine, used Dillon 550B with 9mm & 40s&w dies

2. I got the reloading manual second edition of "modern reloading" by robert lee

3. 9mm & 40 case gauges

I am planning to reload the following:

1. 9mm minor for my STI Trojan 9mm and STI Stinger Open gun (minor only)

2. 9mm major for my Bul SAS Racing Master 9mm major

3. 40S&W minor and major loads for STI Trojan 5 40S&W

The powder available in my area and from my friends are Titegroup & HS6. Bullet, we have 124g and 147g of campro FMJRN. Primer, CCI and federal.

Would you mind providing me the best recipes for minor and major loads of the above using the available resources that we have down here in Canada?

You really posted this in the wrong spot - but I'm sure a Moderator will be along soon

to set you straight on that.

9mm Major - use the 124 gr but instead of RN, I'd go with JHP so the base is NOT exposed lead

and the HS6 - probably need about 8 grains, so I'd start at 7 and work up slowly

with a chrono

For 9mm Minor, Your preference of 124 gr or 147 gr - big difference, and we all have our favorites

(I prefer the heavier bullets) with TG.

I don't shoot .40    :) 

• 2 months later...

9mm 124 gr Montana Gold FMJ

6.9 gr Autocomp

Winchester small pistol primers

OAL 1.165

5.05" Barrel

Mixed once fired range brass

Caldwell Chronograph

Created: 11-01-2017 03:57:39 PM
Description: 124gr 6.9gr Autocomp
Notes 1:
Notes 2:
Distance to Chrono (FT): 15.00
Ballistic Coefficient: 1.000
Bullet Weight (gr): 124.000
Altitude (FT): 0.0
Temp: 73 °F
BP: 29.98 inHG
Shots
#     FPS        FT-LBS     PF
10    1380       524.44     171.12    
9     1355       505.61     168.02    
8     1377       522.16     170.75    
7     1375       520.65     170.50    
6     1353       504.12     167.77    
5     1373       519.13     170.25    
4     1372       518.38     170.13    
3     1372       518.38     170.13    
2     1376       521.40     170.62    
1     1396       536.67     173.10    
Average: 1372.90
StdDev: 12.17
Min: 1353
Max: 1396
Spread: 43
True MV: 1375.24
Shots/sec: 0.71
Group Size (IN): 0.00

Edited by sc68cal

• 1 month later...

Did some load testing with different powders see below to help you find a comparable starting point in your gun.

Black Dog Gun Works 2011 open gun

5" slide with 3 popple holes, KKM barrel

All around 170pf. Mixed head stamp. WSP. 124gr MG JHP. 

7.0gr WAC @ 1.165"

7.5gr Silhouette @ 1.165"

7.9gr HS6 @ 1.165"

8.9gr VV 3n38 @ 1.190"

9.9gr AA#7 @ 1.180"

WAC- snappy but easy to load

Silhouette- meters great, shoots about the same as WAC

HS6- easy to load, dirty, feels same as WAC but dot wiggles 

VV 3n38- shoots great, full case, about 1mm of case left when loaded

AA#7- easy to load, 3/4 full case, shoots about the same as 3n38, dirty

On 12/8/2017 at 7:35 AM, Stickman301 said:

Did some load testing with different powders see below to help you find a comparable starting point in your gun.

Black Dog Gun Works 2011 open gun

5" slide with 3 popple holes, KKM barrel

All around 170pf. Mixed head stamp. WSP. 124gr MG JHP. 

7.0gr WAC @ 1.165"

7.5gr Silhouette @ 1.165"

7.9gr HS6 @ 1.165"

8.9gr VV 3n38 @ 1.190"

9.9gr AA#7 @ 1.180"

WAC- snappy but easy to load

Silhouette- meters great, shoots about the same as WAC

HS6- easy to load, dirty, feels same as WAC but dot wiggles 

VV 3n38- shoots great, full case, about 1mm of case left when loaded

AA#7- easy to load, 3/4 full case, shoots about the same as 3n38, dirty

I ran pretty much the same powders and weights through my Brazos Thundercomp SX2 Trubore today. No silhouette and 10.2 on the AA 7.

HS6 and AA7 are close. The edge on my double tap drill went to AA7. Great feel and flat! WAC had a lot of wiggle and rise. Probably not enough to work the comp on the Brazos Thundercomp.

IMG_20171213_160640290_HDR-600x800.jpg

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, tcazes said:

Anyone have data for 124 jhp (precision deltas) and wac?

Also preferably something with people holes 

People holes? Something new (sorry, couldn't resist, I know what you meant). You will need to tune the load to your gun, in one of my guns I get 172 PF with 6.8 WAC, and the same round in another gun chronoed at 164 (glad I found that out before a major), I had to bump the load to 7.0-7.1 to stay at 172 which is where I prefer to be. Not sure of the why, but it's always wise to chrono.

14 hours ago, Bkreutz said:

People holes? Something new (sorry, couldn't resist, I know what you meant). You will need to tune the load to your gun, in one of my guns I get 172 PF with 6.8 WAC, and the same round in another gun chronoed at 164 (glad I found that out before a major), I had to bump the load to 7.0-7.1 to stay at 172 which is where I prefer to be. Not sure of the why, but it's always wise to chrono.

Lol! I fixed it.

Ok people thanks, I live 5 minutes from my home range so I'll start at 6.8 and go from there. 

For those of you that gave data, how many popple holes are yall running? Mine will be 3

• 2 months later...

My Scheumann barrel has 3 poppel & 3 port comp in a 6” barrel. My load is 115 MG or SNS bullet @ 1.156 with 8.3gr Silhouette, winchester SR primer. 

I use gold small rifle primers for major, silver small pistol for minor. That way if I find a loose round on the bench or in my bag I know what it is