Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

For 9mm MAJOR Topics

benos

If you are not going to shoot major try the 115's. 8 grains of hs6 will not make major and give you enough gas for the comp to work.

If you're shooting minor I suggest 95/100gr bullets and 9gr of HS6, it should be around 155pf, super soft and flat.

If you're going to shoot 124s, you'll make major with ~7.7gr, it'll shoot flatter ~8 and anything less won't work the Como very well.

Don't stress out about shooting major in the CM, it's built like a tank :). With no holes in the barrel, 9 major is no problem.

Your recommended "major" 124 load (I used 8.1 gr.) worked very well, and after I got over the size of the 100 gr., the 9 gr. load was very accurate and flat. Sure appreciate the help.... Dan

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Any estimated brass life expectancy with 170 pf 9mm loads (8.1gr. HS-6)? I use StarLine brass. I'm not against spending time inspecting the fired brass but would prefer to pitch the brass before splits/ruptures occur.....and I can appreciate that wouldn't be an exact science but prefer to error on the safe side.

I've never kept track of loadings because I shoot whatever brass I pick up; I've only had one case failure and everyone on here told me it was a bad brand of brass (ammoland). I would imagine a single piece of brass would survive 6-8 loading easy. I'm a member of a range which is littered with once fired 9mm brass, so when I go I just scoop up a pile, shoot mine and leave it. I'd be surprised if any of the cases in my stash have more than 3-4 loadings on them.

If you are not going to shoot major try the 115's. 8 grains of hs6 will not make major and give you enough gas for the comp to work.

If you're shooting minor I suggest 95/100gr bullets and 9gr of HS6, it should be around 155pf, super soft and flat.

If you're going to shoot 124s, you'll make major with ~7.7gr, it'll shoot flatter ~8 and anything less won't work the Como very well.

Don't stress out about shooting major in the CM, it's built like a tank :). With no holes in the barrel, 9 major is no problem.

100 and 95 grain bullets are not legal for uspsa. He did not mention that he was shooting uspsa but he did reference charlies. So I assumed he is shooting uspsa.
Take another look at Appendix D1.3, the minimum bullet weight for major is 112; there is no minimum bullet weight for minor.
Yep. I looked it in the rule book and stand corrected. Thanks.

Used your recommended load and it works great, thanks.....saved me a lot of time!
I am glad it helped.

I'm using 8.1gr. HS-6 with a Hornady 124gr. RN. I have found that I have to load to a COL of 1.144 or less for my Czechmate to chamber completely. My question is loading to 1.140 increasing my pressure beyond what is reasonable for the cartridge to be reliable and safe? I ask that because I have blown the base off one brass and also destroyed one magazine. I'm changing to being much more particular about my brass selection and no. of times loaded! And if so, I would assume modifying my chamber to handle 1.165 is an reasonable fix?

Edited by dkiesey

I'm using 8.1gr. HS-6 with a Hornady 24gr. RN. I have found that I have to load to a COL of 1.44 or less for my Czechmate to chamber completely. My question is loading to 1.40 increasing my pressure beyond what is reasonable for the cartridge to be reliable and safe? I ask that because I have blown the base off one brass and also destroyed one magazine. I'm changing to being much more particular about my brass selection and no. of times loaded! And if so, I would assume modifying my chamber to handle 1.165 is an reasonable fix?

I'm assuming you mean 124 grain and 1.14 not 1.4? Pretty sure you do. I think you just got a hold of some bad brass that blew out on you. If you reduce the load when you reduce oal you should also reduce pressure. I have run 1.15-1.168 in my loads with 7.8 WAC and 115's for a year and they have all been fine(knock on wood).

Can't comment on the HS6 powder yet but I do have 8 lbs in reserve. I began shooting a Czechmate recently. The person I purchased from gave me his load data. It is working well. 115 grain Montana Gold, Speer Gold Dot once fired +P brass, Winchester SRP, 7.4 grains AutoComp at 1.14. Average 10 shot string 1488 fps. That is 171 Pf. Shoots flat and the dot tracks well. I thought about having the chamber reamed, but the way it's shooting now, I'll leave it as is

I'm using 8.1gr. HS-6 with a Hornady 24gr. RN. I have found that I have to load to a COL of 1.44 or less for my Czechmate to chamber completely. My question is loading to 1.40 increasing my pressure beyond what is reasonable for the cartridge to be reliable and safe? I ask that because I have blown the base off one brass and also destroyed one magazine. I'm changing to being much more particular about my brass selection and no. of times loaded! And if so, I would assume modifying my chamber to handle 1.165 is an reasonable fix?

I'm assuming you mean 124 grain and 1.14 not 1.4? Pretty sure you do. I think you just got a hold of some bad brass that blew out on you. If you reduce the load when you reduce oal you should also reduce pressure. I have run 1.15-1.168 in my loads with 7.8 WAC and 115's for a year and they have all been fine(knock on wood).

Boy do I need to proof read my "typing" :-( You're correct on both accounts and I also think bad brass was the problem. But do think I'll experiment a little with powder reduction when loading to 1.140 COL. Appreciate the help. Dan

Can't comment on the HS6 powder yet but I do have 8 lbs in reserve. I began shooting a Czechmate recently. The person I purchased from gave me his load data. It is working well. 115 grain Montana Gold, Speer Gold Dot once fired +P brass, Winchester SRP, 7.4 grains AutoComp at 1.14. Average 10 shot string 1488 fps. That is 171 Pf. Shoots flat and the dot tracks well. I thought about having the chamber reamed, but the way it's shooting now, I'll leave it as is

I just purchased a can of AutoComp and am planning on 7.0gr. at 1.140 COL with 124gr. Hornady RN....supposedly a 170 PF load. I'll admit to be a little more attracted to HS-6 than AutoComp since it's a little slower powder but don't ask me for a scientific reason :-) I'm on the fence re SRP versus SPP. My SPP (Federal) are pretty flat and suspect the SRP would help that problem but then the risk of breech pitting? I'm going to switch from Federal to CCI SPP to see if the "harder" CCI shows less distortion . Appreciate the help. Dan

I just purchased a can of AutoComp and am planning on 7.0gr. at 1.140 COL with 124gr. Hornady RN....supposedly a 170 PF load. I'll admit to be a little more attracted to HS-6 than AutoComp since it's a little slower powder but don't ask me for a scientific reason :-) I'm on the fence re SRP versus SPP. My SPP (Federal) are pretty flat and suspect the SRP would help that problem but then the risk of breech pitting? I'm going to switch from Federal to CCI SPP to see if the "harder" CCI shows less distortion . Appreciate the help. Dan

I'd recommend backing off the Autocomp starting point a bit. I shoot a 124 RN with 6.8gr AC and 1.165OAL, 5" barrel, no holes with a 4 port comp. I get right at 171 PF, I use CCI SPP

I'd recommend backing off the Autocomp starting point a bit. I shoot a 124 RN with 6.8gr AC and 1.165OAL, 5" barrel, no holes with a 4 port comp. I get right at 171 PF, I use CCI SPP

I think I would definitely agree with backing down the AutoComp from 7.0 with a 124 gr bullet.

thank you, Bkruetz and 11287. As you know, I don't have access to tested loads other than for you folks and yes, I think I'll start at 6.5gr. and work up .1gr. increments. I need to get off my butt and start using the chrono with the work up. 170 PF is my target but expect I should also take COL into consideration along with the bullet configuration during the work-up....all would be 124gr. but I've noticed that the published factory loads range quite a bit depending on the bullet manufacturer :-). Thanks again.

Dan

thank you, Bkruetz and 11287. As you know, I don't have access to tested loads other than for you folks and yes, I think I'll start at 6.5gr. and work up .1gr. increments. I need to get off my butt and start using the chrono with the work up. 170 PF is my target but expect I should also take COL into consideration along with the bullet configuration during the work-up....all would be 124gr. but I've noticed that the published factory loads range quite a bit depending on the bullet manufacturer :-). Thanks again.

Dan

You have a chrono right? I think you will be pretty close to 171ish if you stay at or above 6.8 as most guys I know running STI's with 124's are consistently in the 7.2 range with WAC at around 1.165. I ran 121's with 7.4. Now I run 115's with 7.8 WAC.

• 1 month later...

hey guys i love this topic getting some great info from everyone thank you!

My question is if anyone has any feedback or info on ram shot silhouette? looking for a starting point and primer to make 9major pf. going to be running it through a CK thunder open 9major gun. thanks again!

hey guys i love this topic getting some great info from everyone thank you!

My question is if anyone has any feedback or info on ram shot silhouette? looking for a starting point and primer to make 9major pf. going to be running it through a CK thunder open 9major gun. thanks again!

For 9mm maj. I'm running 7.7gr silhouette behind a Campro 124gr FMJRN, win sm pistol primer, aol 1.155, @ 168 pf, out of a Tang small frame with a 5" barrel with 4 top hybrid jets and 4 port comp....

Cheers

• 1 month later...

Curious if anyone safely made major using 147 gr with cfe pistol? Been running 124 gr. Zero round nose with 6.8 cfe pistol powder running at 1400 fps at 170 pf.Thanks in advance!

Even if it was safe it wouldn't be very effective with so little gas for the comp

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have any load data for 124 bayou and n320 for major?

Wanting to try some 124 lead to see how it performs in a trubor. And we'll I have a ton of n320.

If not, anyone like running coated lead for major period with say autocomp?

Anyone have any load data for 124 bayou and n320 for major?

Wanting to try some 124 lead to see how it performs in a trubor. And we'll I have a ton of n320.

If not, anyone like running coated lead for major period with say autocomp?

N320 is too fast to get you to major safely. For 9 Major use a slower powder like Autocomp, HS-6 or Silhouette. If you're a competitive shooter, you'll probably find guys in your local club willing to trade N320 for any of these powders.

As far as coated bullets go, yes they work but results are mixed. You'll probably have to deal with a bit more smoke and some leading in your comp, but there are shooters out there who successfully use coated bullets for 9 major loads. I would suggest working up your load using FMJ bullets initially and then backing the load back down and working it up with the coated bullets.

Also, create a thread in the 9mm area of this forum but make it clear you're looking for suggestions for 9 major loads.