Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wall / Berm design sources

ChrisAR15

Mods: Apologies if this is not the proper topic for this thread. Move as required.

Our club has our rifle and pistol range adjacent to, and behind our trap range.

The use of either denies the use of the other.

An 8' high x 100' wall would allow simultaneous use of both ranges.

8 x 8 Railroad ties and "Mafia" block structures have been proposed.

Where can I find a design guide for this application?

Thanks in advance.

Chris

by mafia block, I am ASSuming you mean the blocks in the background of this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=013gF_Narcs

???

you could probably chat up your local concrete batch plant that has those blocks and ask about prep work before they can be installed.

short of having a nice grassey earthen berm separating the two bays, I would say those concrete blocks are the next best.

supposedly what happens is that the concrete trucks leave the batch plant, then they pour a slab or a wall or footings somewhere, and whatever is left over in the truck stays in the truck til it can get back to the batch plant and get poured into those lego block like concrete forms. I think my club paid like 55 dollars per block, but I am sure you need a crane to lift them into place, so you all would be paying for a crane and operating engineer "rental" too.

there are down sides to the block, though. the noise level goes up since there is no vegetation to absorb the BANG! and you can't shoot into them either.

if you have limited space, the blocks are the way to go, one of our local clubs has them and the footprint is very small, the layout they used was an earthen berm forthe impact berm, and the blocks to form the bays, as chills has pointed out tho, it is noisey, lots of echo's and you can only shoot in one direction, within the last yr the club has covered a portion of the walls with dirt so that more ofthe bays can be utilized

yes they needto be craned into place, our range got lucky an had the local civil engineers???(the ones who build levee's and such) come in with their equipment and put em up, and called it a training excersize, later one when they expanded the range to add 5 more bays(all earthen) the same was called, pretty funny actually, because the berms were built, and torn down andre-built at least a dozen times for 'training' purposes, and all i cost the range was fuel for the machines

somthing for future range builders and improvers to think about???

• 10 months later...