Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Calius on 2nd Finger of Strong hand

CocoBolo

Ok, its normal, but one of my Open guns is painful and the other is not. I'm going to try to work cutting the grip to be the same as the one that doesn't make the finger hurt after a match.

I see this (and hear about it) when somebody has done something like you just did...shoot a whole lot at once. ...perhaps when that haven't been shooting or dryfiring as much as they used to. (I don't know if that applies in your case or not.)

For me, the gun always rubs there. Rubbing irritates the skin. A hot spot develops. If we have been training hard, then there is a protective callous there that has built up. If we haven't been hitting it 4 times a week, then the hot spot will likely be...hot.

DR Middlebrook (who was Daniel Horner's early mentor) teaches to grip the gun using the front strap as the index point for the gun...with the flats of the fingers (between the knuckles) lying flat on the front strap. That grip tends to get the knuckle off the trigger guard and takes care of that rub point.

I prefer to build my grip with the trigger face/travel in mind. So, I live with the knuckle.

... you will find that your grip will sub-conciously weaken. When the pain starts your brain will tell your hands to stop doing what hurts. This will effect your shooting.

+1 Very good point. It happens, and we don't even realize it.

Same for the beavertail area.

• 1 year later...

What about numbness? Does anyone else have some numbness of a finger or fingertip? The bottom end of my strong-hand ring finger has some lingering numbness. It isn't that bothersome but it is definitely worse after practice, but it's at the point now where it's been numb for almost a week now. Now that I type it out I should probably have it looked at, huh.

edit: Oh, and on topic, I had that hog-knuckle when shooting and practicing with XD's for some time, but it has subsided mightily since switching to a Glock (34). I am now getting the Glock palm callus though, as someone described earlier in the thread.

Edited by dravz

I swear the 2011 plastic frame is the worst handgun frame in the world for calluses on my hands.

Looking at my hand, I have one callus where you describe on both my index and middle fingers on my left hand. I also have a callus on the palm side of the front joint of my index finger on my left hand and another in the same spot of my middle finger on my right hand.

I built up an impressive "Glock knuckle" over half a season with a G17.

Switching to an M&P has started to break it down. I literally have a groove/dent cut into that big callus, and at times, it REALLY effing hurts.

The first match in which I ever shot the new pistol was a 5-stage charity event, with 50 rounds per stage. I suffered the same fate as Coco reported when this thread was created.

I've still got calluses on my SH pinky and ring finger from the Glock finger grooves as well, but they don't get rubbed by the M&P. I had the grip stippled pretty aggressively, and have built up new calluses on the middle joints of all three lower fingers on the WH. There's also an odd one on the SH palm, where the one of the round spots on the butt of the gun contacts it.

My WH thumb has a callus from contacting the slide of both pistols-- which illustrates that I need to alter that grip a little bit, most likely!

• 1 month later...

I've never really experienced any calluses yet. Goes to show how much of a rookie I am! I also don't have any stippling done to my frame. Got plenty of skate tape but have removed and areas that cause uncomfortable friction.

• 3 weeks later...

if it gets to big take a nail file (girly yes I know) and file the callus down a little. That way it doesn't rip and you get to keep the callus. I have one on my right hand where my middle finger hits the trigger guard and one on my left index finger where my left hand makes contact with the trigger guard.

• 4 weeks later...

I took 4 stitches in that exact same spot 2 years ago. It was super sensitive for almost a year. I used a band-aid to protect it. Now it is all callused up.

Bet you guys can't beat this!

True statements:

1) When it hurts your grip suffers. Unless you are a neanderthal like me and don't mind increasing pain and damage to get those double-alphas.

2) Want2race mod is what I did to my gun too, no callus anymore.

post-19767-0-46018300-1339781536_thumb.j

Edited by feederic