Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Calius on 2nd Finger of Strong hand

CocoBolo

I shot a 4-h Benefit match with all 40 round stages mostly steel, with my Open Sti. At the end of each stage my 2nd Finger of the strong hand was hurting red etc, and has a large Calius aka hard bump where it contacts the trigger guard. Now I'm wondering if this is something I need to fix or is this normal if you do a lot of shooting. I was thinking maybe I need a raised main spring housing to take some of the pressure off the finger.

Edited by CocoBolo

I shot a 4-h Benefit match with all 40 round stages mostly steel, with my Open Sti. At the end of each stage my 2nd Finger of the strong hand was hurting red etc, and has a large Calius aka hard bump where it contacts the trigger guard. Now I'm wondering if this is something I need to fix or is this normal if you do a lot of shooting. I was thinking maybe I need a raised main spring housing to take some of the pressure off the finger.

I used to have a huge one there. I still have one and another just to the left of the web between thumb and forefinger.

JT

I got the same thing, on my middle finger's knuckle.

If the bottom of your trigger guard is stippled, it will make the callus hurt.

A little steel wool smoothed the bottom of my trigger guard where it won't rub as bad.

Still have a rough spot there.

I have that as well, and one on the back of the second knuckle from where the index finger of my weak hand grips it, the pad between the first and second knuckle of my weak hand index finger where it contacts the trigger guard, the heel of my strong hand from the arched mainspring, the inside of the thumb, the pads of my strong hand fingers from gripping the grip tape...well you get the picture. The callouses just mean you are handling your gun enough...lol

The key to undercutting for the "Hog Knuckle" is to extend it further forward. Most guns I see that are undercut aren't exteneded far enough forward. Worse yet is the double undercut. I do this with the sanding drum and dremel. Once the shape is right, switch to 320g MX wheel (.5" diameter from Brownells). Final finish is with 600g around my finger.

Also don't be shy about making it asymetrical. The right side of mine is shaped a little more than the left since it's my right hand that has the "Hog Knuckle" (yes that is THE technical term).

post-8536-018921500 1283372742_thumb.jpg

post-8536-015454400 1283372913_thumb.jpg

The key to undercutting for the "Hog Knuckle" is to extend it further forward. Most guns I see that are undercut aren't exteneded far enough forward. Worse yet is the double undercut. I do this with the sanding drum and dremel. Once the shape is right, switch to 320g MX wheel (.5" diameter from Brownells). Final finish is with 600g around my finger.

Also don't be shy about making it asymetrical. The right side of mine is shaped a little more than the left since it's my right hand that has the "Hog Knuckle" (yes that is THE technical term).

Thanks for the photo and explanation. I'm fixing to hog mine out for my pig knuckle. As you described mine is under cut for a pinky not a hog knuckle. My other gun is not under cut and feels a lot better but now I know how to fix that. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

I cut the callus off when it becomes too big. Wrapping some athletic tape around the area is also an option.

I use medical tape around the knuckle on the strong hand middle finger and weak hand index finger to protect from the trigger guard. If you let it go and try to tough it out you will find that your grip will sub-conciously weaken. When the pain starts your brain will tell your hands to stop doing what hurts. This will effect your shooting.

Chris

Took the drimmel tool to the trigger guard and hogged it out. Now I can shoot a match without my finger hurting, and it feels so good, thanks Want2Race. I still have the Calius, but I'm thinking its a badge I earned for shooting 2k rounds a month.

• 4 weeks later...