Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

LEM

Bogey17

I have a USP .40 I bought back in the Clinton era and I'm considering switching to LEM trigger variant. I think it just might be advantageous for me to get rid of that first boat ancor trigger pull...lol. Looking for opionions from anyone that may have done this to go get pro's and con's. I haven't had the chance to shoot a USP with this variant but I'm told it will change it to a consistant 4.5 to 5 lbs pull each time.

Edited by Bogey17

Bruce Gray, who used to shoot for HK, and is one of the few pistolsmiths doing HK trigger work, reports to me he has not seen the LEM system stand up well over the long term, certainly not under the sort of wear and tear and heavy use a serious competition shooter puts on a gun. Frankly if I was in your shoes I'd look at sticking with the gun/trigger system I have and finding someone like Bruce to do a trigger job on it. One of our local IDPA Masters, who goes on BE.com by the screen name Kahrnage, uses a P30 slicked up by Bruce Gray, and he runs it very well indeed.

I have close to 20k on a LEM setup with no issues. The only internal changes are the normal hammer is split into the hammer, hammer axle, and hammer spring. I don't see any reason why it would not hold up in competition. The light LEM is a great setup and would work well. I would check to make sure it is legal for production....

If you make the change, your first pull will be approximately 5.5#. All shots if you work the reset is right at 4#. It is very crisp and easy to find the break. I would definitely suggest doing the "competition LEM" setup, which includes the match trigger parts as well as the 5.5# setup. HK does the work at the factory, or you can have any HK smith do it. I've done it myself a few times and it's fairly simple.

Ahh....Glock...Shhmock...!

I use the HK w/ an LEM ( not for competition ) and my gun has about 7k round thru it w/ no issues. I have seen a ton of them w/ the LEM trigger and they all run. Never have personally seen an issue. That said the reset is WAY too long. Maybe only a HiPower is longer.

Edited by Tattoo

Most of the reports I have heard about the LEM are favorable, especially in the long run. Check out this sight: http://pistol-training.com/archives/category/range-reports/p30-thursday This is Todd Green's sight he did a 90k + long term test of the HK P30 LEM with very detailed results, 91,322 rounds 13 stoppages, 0 malfunctions, 5 parts breakages. He is a big fan of the LEM and only ended the test when a piece of the frame broke off, though apparently it is still relatively serviceable.

In his most recent test a long term review of the HK45 LEM, he is currently up to 30K rounds with only 1 malfunction. While this is a sample size of 1 I believe that it is a very useful and accurate conclusions that can be drawn from these tests.

CAZ

• 2 months later...

I have a P30L in the light LEM and I use it in competition. It might not be as easy out of the box to master shooting fast splits, but once you get used to the pull (like any other gun), it's great. I'm never going back to traditional SA/DA in HK guns. I've got about 3k in it right now and I see very little wear.

Based on Todd Green's test of a P30 LEM, I really don't think reliability is an issue at all.