Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sleep?

JThompson

4 hours ago, benos said:

"Hoping" is the source of all difficulties. :)

This made me remember the very first club match I ever won. :)  I had been out the night before until very late or maybe I didn't get home at all. I went into the match relaxed and with no expectations. I was just there to have fun. And because I had no expectations, I won. ;)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me it seems the biggest problem is going to events that I have to drive to early in the morning.  It makes it hard to get to sleep because I can't stop thinking about packing everything up, not wanting to sleep through the alarm, etc. or that it just never gets done on time and I'm up because there's more stuff to do no matter what I do.  Contact lenses are a real problem too.  

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 7:22 PM, Bill Nesbitt said:

This made me remember the very first club match I ever won. :)  I had been out the night before until very late or maybe I didn't get home at all. I went into the match relaxed and with no expectations. I was just there to have fun. And because I had no expectations, I won. ;)

As a shift worker sometimes if I want to make it to a match I have to do it on no sleep after working all night.  I will have to say that I usually shoot as well or better than I do with a good nights sleep probably because I feel so bad that I'm running on auto pilot and just doing it with out over thinking everything.

i try to match my sleep schedule to the time zone i'll be competing in three days before i am scheduled to shoot. living in central time zone makes this easier than when i lived in the pacific time zone.

i pack, clean and load everything the night before. every box is checked and every item accounted for.

i dry fire some in the morning before i leave the house or the hotel.

but yeah, i don't drink coffee or energy drinks so there is no "making it up" the day of the match drinking that stuff. yep, a benadryl the night before if i'm traveling.

as it sounds like you're regularly operating on poor sleep i guess just say get used to it. mind over matter. if you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Funny I came across this. Its almost 2:00 am and I'm shooting in match tomorrow. I'm up because I've been earthing portly and I'm suffering the consequences. Hope to be able to get an hour or two before I need to get up at 5:00 am. 

So, my diet is need of a serious overhaul!

Once that's no longer causing problems, I'd say limiting caffeine late in the day will be my next item to address. Actually, I think limiting caffeine intake  and diet go hand and hand. 

Edited by B_RAD

4 hours ago, BoyGlock said:

How do you manage yourself in the match when you know you lack sleep? Assuming you are serious in your match performance. 

The night I didn't "sleep at all", I was wide eyed and bushy tailed as ever the next morning.

Didn't have to "manage myself" - just did what I would have done if I had slept like a baby all night.

I'm not very good, or highly rated, but I am serious about my match performance.    :)

5 hours ago, BoyGlock said:

How do you manage yourself in the match when you know you lack sleep or didnt sleep at all the night before? Assuming you are serious in your match performance. 

As best you can ? :) 

Great advice, I thought, was once you know you are not going to fall asleep then start using that time productively. Think about whatever it is that you want to do well. 

Full disclosure: I have not shot outside of club matches but played in college bowl games and presented in front of a few hundred people several times in my life.

Here is what I have learned to do to perform at my highest level:

Before a big event/game, I start accumulating sleep "credits" a few days beforehand.  So instead of my usual 5 hours I try to get 7 or more per night. To help facilitate that I reduce or eliminate the amount of alcohol, sugar and caffeine consumed during those days.  I find that if I don't get enough sleep the night before the event, my body and mind are rested enough to power through the next 24-36 hours and still perform at a high level. During the event, I regulate the amount of sugar intake to prevent the sugar crash.

I take a couple of Tylenol PMs. And turn on the air conditioning fan. The monotonous drone of the fan puts me out.

I've done that before, oh man I was a complete dummy the next day. Like I mean we were going for dinner after day 1 and I went to the wrong city 1hr in the wrong direction.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

On 4/7/2017 at 9:01 PM, rowdyb said:

i try to match my sleep schedule to the time zone i'll be competing in three days before i am scheduled to shoot. living in central time zone makes this easier than when i lived in the pacific time zone.

i pack, clean and load everything the night before. every box is checked and every item accounted for.

i dry fire some in the morning before i leave the house or the hotel.

but yeah, i don't drink coffee or energy drinks so there is no "making it up" the day of the match drinking that stuff. yep, a benadryl the night before if i'm traveling.

as it sounds like you're regularly operating on poor sleep i guess just say get used to it. mind over matter. if you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

This what I do, also.  But I do not use the benadryl.  I have found, even if I do not sleep at least 7-8 hours, I am at least laying down and resting the body.  The mind, you have to learn how to quiet it, for yourself.  

A followup to my post. Listen to your mother and go to bed.

TIL that when we sleep, our brain cells shrink, encouraging cerebrospinal fluid flow which flushes out toxins built up in the brain. This explains why we can't think clearly after a sleepless night.

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2013/10/18/236211811/brains-sweep-themselves-clean-of-toxins-during-sleep

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

On 8/30/2010 at 6:46 PM, benos said:

Have a few stiff drinks, but not so many that you have too much of a hangover.

:)

Exactly what I do, sleep like a baby every time. However, I must recommend high shelf liquor like Patron!!

• 5 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2010 at 6:18 AM, JThompson said:

I don't sleep well most of the time.... it's even harder for me in a motel and when there is something on my mind. How do you sleep before a match? Are there some techniques you use to help drop off in a strange place?

I would say I sleep about 4hrs before a match when I'm on the road. It's hard to be at your best with only 4hrs.

Thoughts?

JT

I am prescribed restoril for extreme insomnia which is an extreme CNS depressant. so I usually wake up two hours than I would normally just to give myself enough time to wake up/energize my CNS..i do this by jump rope, throwing, jump squats...any rapid movement that will wake up the CNS...then I have a amino/protein shake in lieu of breakfast.

I also eat a rather large meal the night before...I feel people often eat too much garbage before they compete due to the availability that traveling presents.

the bench

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2010 at 6:39 AM, Chills1994 said:

I do not go to sleep two nights before a big match. that way I am dead tired the night right before the match.

I will also bring my pillow from home if staying at a match hotel.

back in my "college days" I used to sleep with ear plugs in....in the dorms.

I always bring my own pillow also.

its funny, I always pretty easily even with my insomnia before a match....but before a bbq cook-off? even my sleeping meds cant turn me off!

the bench

I'm a chronic insomniac. Have been most of my life but it does get worse, or just harder to deal with as I get older. Left to my own devices the best I can manage is micro-sleep for only a few seconds at a time.  So I have a prescription that mostly works unless I'm super-amped up and then I won't even notice it. 

Strategies for me if I know it's going to be a crappy night:

Accept it. No point worrying about it now. Now it's too late. 

Try to eat well and clean and not to late. 

Rest for a while if you can't sleep. Take your mind somewhere, she a problem, anything to not think about sleeping

Gravol

2 minutes ago, R.Elliott said:

I'm a chronic insomniac. Have been most of my life but it does get worse, or just harder to deal with as I get older. Left to my own devices the best I can manage is micro-sleep for only a few seconds at a time.  So I have a prescription that mostly works unless I'm super-amped up and then I won't even notice it. 

Strategies for me if I know it's going to be a crappy night:

Accept it. No point worrying about it now. Now it's too late. 

Try to eat well and clean and not to late. 

Rest for a while if you can't sleep. Take your mind somewhere, she a problem, anything to not think about sleeping

Gravol

I have often wanted to ask this question to someone else with extreme insomnia, and you sound pretty close.....does drinking a lot of water(around a gallon a day) make your insomnia way worse?

because it does mine.

the bench

On 4/19/2017 at 4:13 PM, Lilmick said:

Exactly what I do, sleep like a baby every time. However, I must recommend high shelf liquor like Patron!!

Definitely. And do not mix alcohol with anything, especially anything with sugar in it. And since you like tequila, have you ever tried Don Julio Anejo? It's money!

9 minutes ago, benos said:

Definitely. And do not mix alcohol with anything, especially anything with sugar in it. And since you like tequila, have you ever tried Don Julio Anejo? It's money!

Don Julio is very good. Have you tried Tres Generacion Anejo?