Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sleep?

JThompson

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Any alcohol (even the Good Stuff) is BAD for sleep.....

It will help you fall asleep, but you won't sleep very long - and then you

will NOT be able to fall back asleep.

Sleep is vastly overrated ....    :) 

If a person gets 8 hours of sleep per night, they are sleeping 1/3rd of their life away. Learn to get by on less, you get more life for the same amount of time.

3 hours ago, GrumpyOne said:

If a person gets 8 hours of sleep per night, they are sleeping 1/3rd of their life away. Learn to get by on less, you get more life for the same amount of time.

If only it were that simple. Most people I know who don't sleep very much are sedentary or elderly. With the amount of activity I have if I sleep fewer than 8 hours a night for much longer than a few days I start getting dinged up in training and developing cold like symptoms. The problems almost always promptly go away when I start sleeping more again. Some of us actually need the 8 hours a night to recover and function at 100%.

I tell people I train to sleep as much as they can without getting divorced or fired.

I get up early to dryfire and/or go to the gym.  Occcassionally i wont be able to get to bed on time for a while and i start falling behind.  I also will start to get sick or not be able to focus.  I dont think any prolonged sleep deprivation is good physically or mentally.  If you are training, you need to recover.

12 hours ago, GrumpyOne said:

1 hour ago, BenBreeg said:

I dont think any prolonged sleep deprivation is good physically or mentally.

This explains some things. 

21 hours ago, benos said:

Definitely. And do not mix alcohol with anything, especially anything with sugar in it. And since you like tequila, have you ever tried Don Julio Anejo? It's money!

tequila is a drunk white girl drink.....I expected better from you...

the bench

• 3 weeks later...

Over the years I have figured out that I need 6-7 hours of sleep.  I would think it's different for everyone so I recommend figuring out what your best amount of sleep is and trying to stick to that.  

Since quitting almost all alcohol intake many years ago I have not needed an alarm clock.  It was not quitting drinking that made that happen.  I started doing it anyways, but I found that alcohol disrupted that ability and it could not be relied upon until I quit drinking.  Vary rarely when traveling in a time zone that's more than a 2 hour difference I wake up with an alarm, but at home I don't need one.  And generally, at a hotel I still wake up and turn it off before it starts making noise.  

From that experience I can say that "I know, for me" that alcohol disrupts sleep.  

Anyways, I also agree that sleep is a waste of time and if I could just skip it altogether I would do that.  I mean, really?  I've got to spend hours on end with my eyes closed?  Missing EVERYTHING!  I've never been a person that enjoys "sleeping in." 

I have however enjoyed the hell out of some Tequila.  

Over the years I have figured out that I need 6-7 hours of sleep.  I would think it's different for everyone so I recommend figuring out what your best amount of sleep is and trying to stick to that.  
Since quitting almost all alcohol intake many years ago I have not needed an alarm clock.  It was not quitting drinking that made that happen.  I started doing it anyways, but I found that alcohol disrupted that ability and it could not be relied upon until I quit drinking.  Vary rarely when traveling in a time zone that's more than a 2 hour difference I wake up with an alarm, but at home I don't need one.  And generally, at a hotel I still wake up and turn it off before it starts making noise.  
From that experience I can say that "I know, for me" that alcohol disrupts sleep.  

Anyways, I also agree that sleep is a waste of time and if I could just skip it altogether I would do that.  I mean, really?  I've got to spend hours on end with my eyes closed?  Missing EVERYTHING!  I've never been a person that enjoys "sleeping in." 

I have however enjoyed the hell out of some Tequila.  

Only time I drink is if I have to get up early but no brain required lol. Up at the crack of dawn fully refreshed, but really slow lol...

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I take a Benadryl and listen to "Practical Shooting" iBook on my phone. Knocks me right out.

Still waiting for the night learning thing to kick in!!!

I wake up, go to the match, AND JUST SHOOT!! (sometimes I even hit something  :D  )

Edited by Eureka1911

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 7:39 PM, Hi-Power Jack said:

Any alcohol (even the Good Stuff) is BAD for sleep.....

It will help you fall asleep, but you won't sleep very long - and then you

will NOT be able to fall back asleep.

Agree %100.  I quit drinking anything with alcohol years ago and never looked back.  I sleep better and ALL of my athletic performance moved up noticeably.  Younger athletes bounce back faster and may not notice the performance hit, but it increases significantly as you age.  I'd rather get 4 hours sleep before an event than put myself down with a shot, a Benadryl, or a sleep aid and risk oversleeping a start time, dehydration, or loss of performance. I never use caffeine when running or riding but have no issue with caffeinating during a match as long as I do it carefully to plan for a possible crash, don't over caffeinate, and make sure I keep food and fluids (water) coming in.

I can never sleep before any big event. My first marathon was run on 3h sleep, but since I had prepped my body by tapering workouts, stretching, "banking" sleep, and eating food that digested well and used the "right" calories at the right time, I finished it strong.  My only major match, I left a wedding, drove out, slept 4 hours in a hotel. Got up, hot shower, stretch, dryfire, go. Felt great, finished strong.

In my running, cycling, and (admittedly limited) shooting experience, hydrating and eating is far more important than sleep in a single-day event.  "Banking" sleep up the week before when you know you will be short is an excellent precaution IMO

21 hours ago, Glock26Toter said:

Since quitting almost all alcohol intake many years ago I have not needed an alarm clock.  It was not quitting drinking that made that happen.  I started doing it anyways, but I found that alcohol disrupted that ability and it could not be relied upon until I quit drinking.  

Alarm clocks are not that expensive. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think a lack of sleep is more likely to limit my own performance more than anything else!  I simply do not perform as well if I don't get about 6-1/2 hrs. of restful sleep.  Too much isn't good for me either.  

I have found the best "secret" for me to get a good nights sleep is to KNOW that I am FULLY prepared, and convince myself to just relax.  If I start to go over things in my head for the match (presentation, or whatever I have planned for the next day), my night's sleep is doomed!  

Having no expectations can really help too, but that is difficult...  I always want to perform better than I did the last time.  

I am usually not comfortable in a strange motel room, so I struggle to get restful sleep more often than not while traveling. 

Over the counter drugs leave me groggy the next day, and I don't drink alcohol.  

I have tried not sleeping much the day or two before, and that didn't seem to help.  I can't "bank" sleep by sleeping more a few days before either.  

It is a problem that I haven't completely worked out, and I certainly would like to!  

• 2 weeks later...

Like some others in this thread, I'm new to shooting sports, but no stranger to losing sleep due to excitement, nerves, or whatever.  I used to be heavily involved in performing arts, and I always slept terribly before opening night.  My best strategy for finding some peace was to spend a small amount of time (maybe 30 minutes) going over my material to satisfy myself that I knew it.  Then, I took a cool shower, verging on cold, toweled off and got into bed.  Then I'd do some 4-count inhale/exhales to help me get off to sleep with a clear head.  I got maybe 3 hours before my last couple of matches - seeing this thread has given me some new strategies to apply before my next match in a couple of weeks.

Great Thread.

My Firearm Competition experience only goes back a little over four years.  After a sleepless night the first time in a Motel 6 in Raton,

I have stayed on site at The Whittington,  What a blessing.  Even in the Competitor Housing with dorm style living all of the accommodations  being room to room similar to each other have helped me to become more comfortable.

I take my own fluffy blanket and pillow.  I currently like "The Wind Book for Rifle Shooters" as bedtime reading after a wee dram

or three.  Alarm and phone set because I am hard of hearing, I am still awake to watch them go off.   I caffeinate early (Deathwish) and Hydrate constantly afterwards.  I eat carefully - Vegi Burrito, Chilidog, Green Chili Cheeseburger, whatever settles my stomach.

Ice cold low alcohol beer after the event and a Barbeque or Burger Potluck taking me into setup for the next day.  And Still Hydrating.

My pistol competitions are only 45 minutes from home so far so am becoming quite spoiled.

I remember my entire life whether is was Summer Camp, Vacation Trip, Hunting Season, Competition of Any type, actually any

significant event - sleep the night before is a rarity.  Finally now that I can accept that even if I do not sleep I can rest I am OK

and feel comfortable operating at a High Level no matter.

This regimen works for me at 60 but I do not recommend it to anyone else.