Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hornady A-MAX 75 gr .224 bullets

sierra77mk

I believe the 75 gr. A-Max bullets are not able to be loaded to mag length. I single load them, never tried loading them to mag length and have been told by many people that shoot Highpower that the A-Max cannot be loaded to mag length.

I don't know about the 75 gr. A-Max but I cut the tips off the 80 gr. A-Max and they feed just fine through my magazines. Accuracy is not exactly spectacular but then again I'm using a 1:9 twist which isn't supposed to work at all.

Dave Sinko

saw this thread and was wondering about 308 - don't mean to hijack...

308 Win 155gn Hornady A-Max, are they also designed for single round loading???

jj

JJ,

They shouldn't be. They should be just fine in a .308 magazine.

The .224 A-Max bullets are extremely long, and would extend past the shoulder probably .250" or more. The loaded ammo I have with those bullets are almost 2.500 OAL.

saw this thread and was wondering about 308 - don't mean to hijack...

308 Win 155gn Hornady A-Max, are they also designed for single round loading???

jj

You can load them to NATO OAL without issues, so I would assume the fit just fine. They definitely fit in my CZ550 magazines. 

• 4 months later...

They won't work at magazine length. Load them long for single shot and they are deadly accurate, but can't do the bang, bang, bang thing with them. I bought some and found that out. I shot some real nice groups but it was REAL slow, not that was bad but not what I was after. Went to 75 BTHP and got same results but worked in the magazine. YEA!

I think that they would work well for the 600 yard slow fire stage of Service Rifle but that is not what I shoot.

Hope that helps.