Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bull versus regular barrel ?

Puma

Will be purchasing an STI for limited class. If I purchase a 5 inch the Edge will have a bull barrel. But I am also considering a 6 inch Eagle. I would like to know the pros and/or cons of 5" versus 6" guns and regular barrels versus bull barrels in a 6 inch guns.

I would like to cover as much information as possible to make sure that I make the right choice.

Any and all information that you provide to help me will be greatly appreciated.

Pumagsd@yahoo.com

Let me go ahead and clear out the responses that are bound to happen:

-Limited is a division, not a class.

-Search function is your friend

A factory 6" gun will be pretty heavy. See if you can try out a 5" and a 6" back to back and see what you think.

Hello: Get the 5" Eagle in 40 with a bushing barrel. If you like it or want to change things up you could have a bull barrel fitted. Then you could see which one you like better. A factory 6" or Edge feels very heavy to me and does not transition well. A Benny Hill 6" Fat Free is alot different than a factory pistol and feels like a light 5" but faster on those longer shots. I would suggest you go to a match and ask to shoot some of the othet pistols there to get a feel of what you might like. Shooters are great people and are proud to let new shooters try there guns after the match or stage :cheers: Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

Hello: Get the 5" Eagle in 40 with a bushing barrel. If you like it or want to change things up you could have a bull barrel fitted. Then you could see which one you like better. A factory 6" or Edge feels very heavy to me and does not transition well. A Benny Hill 6" Fat Free is alot different than a factory pistol and feels like a light 5" but faster on those longer shots. I would suggest you go to a match and ask to shoot some of the othet pistols there to get a feel of what you might like. Shooters are great people and are proud to let new shooters try there guns after the match or stage :cheers: Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

Eric is one of the great folks he describes above. Why just this morning he GAVE me his 6" gun. :cheers: What a generous guy! :roflol:

Pat

Expectation is the mother of all disappointment. I wouldn't expect either of these guns to turn me from a B to an M over night. That said if I were going to get a 6" it would have to be a custom and have the Fat cut off it by Benny or another competent gun smith, maybe another Texan Jimmie Mitchell. I have two 5" limited guns an SV and an Edge, the SV has a lightened slide and the Edge is stock, I prefer the feel of the Edge. Point is you don't know these things till you shoot one. I was dreweling on Brazos ads for a couple years then a friend got one, I shot his decided I liked mine better, but he still likes his better. I beat him at the TX Limited, does that mean my gun is better, no it means on that weekend I shot better. I'm thinking I want a 6", maybe I better shoot one and find out.

Eric is a nice guy I shot with him a time or two, I should have asked to shoot his gun.:rolleyes:

Pat: You make iot sound so dirty :roflol: Ron I will be back in Texas in November and you are welcome to shoot the 6" in Corpus if you wish. Another thing that has not been said before I think is that as your skill evolves so will the guns you like. You may like a heavy framed, nose heavy pistol like the Edge to start and as your skills develop you will gravitate towards a lighter/quicker gun. I am still trying to find the perfect setup for me. Granted I have only been shooting for just over 4 years now and love to tinker with things to make them faster/better and that is part of the fun for me. The biggest telltale for me is the timer. Sometimes I think "man that felt so slow" and it was my best time of the day. I suggest go slow and try all the guns you can then decide what you think feels the best for you. Then as Flex say Practice :cheers: Thanks, Eric