Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wireless Networking

B.J. Norris

Have a Dell laptop running Windows ME and a Sony VAIO desktop with XP. Using a Linksys wireless system, and I can't get them to see each other (have them sitting side-by-side right now) . I'm not real familiar with a wireless newtork, so I really don't know what to do/try to get it to work. Neither computer seems to be transmitting or receving anything.

BJ,

My memory is a little vague but I had the same issue a couple of years ago when I set mine up. I finally solved the headache by reading and following the instructions exactly, and then I had to reboot both systems a couple of times, and then (by what is surely dark magic) everything just started working.....

If each machine is configured to "obtain an IP Address automatically" in the network config and your linksys is setup with a pool of IP Addresses, you should be able to do a start --> run --> cmd and get a dos prompt. They type in ipconfig <return> to make sure you have one of the IP Addresses you gave the Linksys.

If both machines each have a unique IP Address, in the dos window you should be able to type in ping "ip address" to see if the machines are seeing each other on the network. If you make it this far you are 90% of the way there.

Have fun.

Mark

Using a Linksys wireless system...

Make sure the encryption is off.

Make sure if you've put in MAC address security that all of the MAC addresses are added to the list on the WAP. Or just turn it off to start.

Make sure that everything has an IP address. If so, try pinging between devices.

(If applicable) If you have a cable between your router and WAP, make sure it's the right type (straight or crossover) and that you have link lights.

Make sure that Windows networking is installed and configured properly. Genererally, you should use your router/WAP/toasteroven as a DHCP server and have your PC get it's IP address from the router.

FWIW, I think that the Linksys gear is total crap. I had a Linksys router/hub/print server/WAP a while back and there was nothing I could do to keep it running. It wasn't just a me problem either. A lot of folks had the same issue. Linksys wouldn't do squat to fix the problem and I ended up $200 poorer for the bargain.

Believe it or not, D-Link makes better gear that costs far less and is much easier to set up. (If you should decide to take it back)

You might also need to enable "broadcast SSID" if it's not.

Of course, once you get it working, you should turn back on the encryption and all so as your neighbors and passers-by don't get on your network.

I'd guess the problem is the Windows ME side of things-- that OS was a large heap of junk. (It's IP config program is "winipcfg")

Random datapoint as of a year or two ago: most wireless gear in stores got returned twice before it stayed somewhere.

For entertainment value, look up the FCC id's of some Linksys and D-Link gear over at fcc.gov-- 90% of the time the hardware is identical and all made by the same people over in Taiwan.

Shred...

[Only Slightly off topic mode]

Have you tried the Microsoft 802.11g stuff?

One of my D-link problems was configuration - I needed to reconfigure from 192.168, since my VPN client blocked (read: took over) that subnet, and I couldn't talk to lpr printers, or other IP only devices once I was VPN'd in. LinSys I could change, D-Link - no-go

For entertainment value, look up the FCC id's of some Linksys and D-Link gear over at fcc.gov-- 90% of the time the hardware is identical and all made by the same people over in Taiwan.

It might get made at the same sweatshop, but there's no way - at least in my case - that it was the same equipment. Everything was different - including the way you flashed the EEPROM - which ought to be the dead giveaway. But, it would not surprise me if that has changed as this was all over a year and a half ago.

===============

By the way, BJ, before you spend too much time on the wireless, make sure that you can connect via a ethernet cable first. That was my first move whenever my wireless crapped out.

I've used various people's .11g gear-- the "54 Mbits" (which means about 18-22 Mbits of data in ideal conditions) is nice, and so is compatibility with 802.11b but it's still subject to the vagaries of 2.4 GHz, which includes your microwave oven.

802.11a still has some range issues, but has much more promise as there's a lot more spectrum there to work with.

But.. until wireless QoS like 802.11e gets in place (think late this year at the earliest), it's still no place to be putting your TV video and expecting it to get where it's going.

The Taiwan 802.11 OEMs (Eumitcom is the most notorious for rebadging Intersil's reference designs) generally use the exact same radio hardware (once it's FCC-ed, it can stay that way), but tweak the processor, UI and such for the end-labeller and desired price-point.

In the early days, they certified one PCMCIA card and stuck that radio section into everything from Access points to PCI cards, usually still in the PCMCIA form-factor. In some older gear like Apple's silver AirPort, you could disassemble the unit and swap the card with a retail one to get better features.

If I had to buy something today, I'd get .11g. In 6 months I'd be looking at .11a. In a year, 11a with .11e,

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

An absolute must and first thing to check and turn off is Windows XP firewall, and it is a good idea to turn off any other firewall software you have running. Your router will have a firewall built in, hardware firewalls are much better then software firewalls. Even once your network is up and running do not run Win XP firewall ever nor any others.

Next name your network and do not use default SSID, use your network name. Set to assign IP addresses automatically. Add MS Networking on both computers and bind TCP/IP and NW Link IPX/SPX/NetBIOS protocol to your NIC cards. Reboot and in the run box type "WINIPCFG" this will show your configuration and what protocols are loaded and running. If you have all 802.1G wireless enable the G feature otherwise disable it or make sure it is set to fall back to 802.1B. If you have 2 identical addresses change one manually, I like to set them up in order such as 192.168.0.101, 192.168.0.102, 192.168.0.103, ect. Also make sure your sub net mask is set to 255.255.255.0. Reboot your router and computers and they should connect.

Just because you have lights on the router and NIC cards do not mean your net work is talking, it only means that the equipment is trying to communicate.

As a last ditch effort on the desktop change the PCI slot the NIC card is in, when you reboot it will say new hardware found, continue with the install procedure again, this often does the trick on wireless setup

D-Link makes great wired and wireless networking equipment, I install a lot of them, stay away from Net Gear, it is much harder to configure unless you have done it a few times.

Best of luck

Jim

well, people basically have you covered. However, if you cna see the other computer in the network neighborhood but not anything shared from it, it is because you need to create an account on XP wiht the same login as that of ME (spplies to 98 and 95 as well) that has access the the shared dirver/printer/whatever.

How about this? Load XP Pro over the ME - use the upgrade package. Go to the Control Panel - select the System Icon - select the Advanced Tab - check the Remote Desktop and Remote Assistance boxes. Then you can get one of the guys here on the Forum to connect directly to your computer and do the deed for you. :huh::D I think it will work....