Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DPMS Panter 3G1

bikedoctor

I have been shooting my 3G1 all this season, and am very happy with it. I replaced the Miculek Comp with the JP Bennie Cooley Comp, JP low mass carrier and low mass buffer with polished spring and put on an ACE Skeleton Stock. It is also outfitted with an ACOG 4X32. I have a little bit of play between the upper and lower, which it did not have when I first got it. I figure it is the front pins getting a little worn. Any suggestions?

Edited by Robbie

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Meh I wouldn't worry about a little bit of play. I've owned and shot a dozen Ar15's over the years from pre ban Colt SP1's to post ban Bushmasters to RRA's, S&W M&P rifles and now this DPMS 3G1. They've all had a little play and its never affected accuracy or reliability. Hell, look at some 1911's that are loose as hell still function 100%. From my perspective, the tighter a gun is, the more of a chance something will hang up or whatever.

I shot my 3G1 earlier today and only had one instance where it stopped. Could have been a bad round or primer as I was shooting some WLA Russian 223 I think it was. I just wanted to see if it would run the steel stuff in case I wanted to shoot cheaply. But besides that one round it ran very well.

I have noticed that the charging handle with this Tac Latch on it has bent a little. Right underneath the tac latch the aluminum is pretty thin and it is bent downward a bit. Hasn't affected anything yet I don't think but, my BCM Gunfighter will be here Wednesday anyway.

I need to shoot it a good bit more or oil the buffer spring because it sounds like an old screen door shutting LOL. My only complaint I have with Ar15's is listening to that damn spring.

I believe this 3G1 will be a keeper.

• 2 years later...

Good thread. anyone in eastern Iowa have one they'd let me try? I see dpms just added the 3g2 model so I'm liking for a Christmas present!

If you ever get to SE Wisconsin you are more than welcome to give mine a try. I've been running it for a little over a year and the thing has been rock solid!

That'd be great, Steve! I'm planning to visit a buddy just outside Milwaukee (he lives up near Oconomwoc by the lakes) sometime this fall (he's recup-ing from leg surgery) and thought a trip to the range would be something even a gimpy guy could enjoy doing. I'll let you know what I find out and send you a PM to see if you're available. Thanks!!

Edited by IronicTwitch

That'd be great, Steve! I'm planning to visit a buddy just outside Milwaukee (he lives up near Oconomwoc by the lakes) sometime this fall (he's recup-ing from leg surgery) and thought a trip to the range would be something even a gimpy guy could enjoy doing. I'll let you know what I find out and send you a PM to see if you're available. Thanks!!

I'm just South of Milwaukee so let me know and we'll try to put something together.

Before each match I used a nylon chamber brush and scrubbed the heck out of the chamber then applied a liberal amount of Slip 2000. Once I started that ritual it ran flawlessly with whatever ammo I fed it.