Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DPMS Panter 3G1

bikedoctor

That does seem to be the only option at this point. Not sure how successful I'd be at assembling something like this in an apartment, but it would be a few interesting weekends. Ugh, I miss my garage workshop.

Mac

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Man, I wish someone would get these in stock. My dealer checked with 5 distributors and none available anywhere. I already sold my M&P15, and I just can't justify a JP or Noveske at this point in my shooting.

Mac

Yep, they are available. He didn't call the right distributor...I have three on the shelf.

Order up the identical barrel for about 170 and build something similar. I bet if you shop smart (sales and used) you could assemble the same rifle for a great price as well, if you really want it.

I've been looking at doing this. When I added in the cost of the tools I'd need to build it I found I wouldn't save any money compared to buying the 3G1.

Man, I wish someone would get these in stock. My dealer checked with 5 distributors and none available anywhere. I already sold my M&P15, and I just can't justify a JP or Noveske at this point in my shooting.

Mac

Yep, they are available. He didn't call the right distributor...I have three on the shelf.

Who is the right distributor?

McAllyn-

I bet you're really going to like the setup and the Trijicon is a great optic for our sport. You're running the same setup as me except my TR24 has the red triangle. I wrote a review of the scope here if you're interested:

http://www.recoilsports.com/2011/01/review-of-the-trijicon-tr24/

I still don't have my rifle back from DPMS yet, but hopefully it'll run like a champ when I do.

I spoke with DPMS today and thought I'd give you guys an update. I spoke with Amber and Mike who informed me of the status of my 3G1 and told me about all of the testing they did with it as well as what steps they took to remedy the issues I was having with it. Both were super nice to deal with and took the time to answer all of my questions and concerns. I did ask Mike why there was no TAC latch on my charging handle and he let me know that there where lots of complaints about them because they stick out and can catch on things so they stopped outfitting the 3G1 with them. I asked him if I could pay for one and have them put one on while they had it since I need the larger changing handle because my TR24 makes it difficult to charge. He said he would put it on at no charge for the trouble of having to send in my rifle. Thanks, Mike! So I assume it'll ship out soon and I hope to have it next week. If it runs as good as DPMS' customer service it should be great rifle. Fingers crossed.

I am currently on two waiting lists for this rifle. Seems like a good deal as far as value and a good starter rifle for 3G. Has anyone heard if DPMS will filling these orders anytime soon? Does anyone know of any FFLs who currently have this rifle in stock?

I just wanted to follow up with my previous posts about my 3G1 that wasn't working properly. I'm happy to report that after its trip back to DPMS it now seems to be running as expected (short version). I didn't want to fill up this already long thread with all of the minutia, but if anyone wants a more in depth explanation I posted all of the details on my blog here:

http://www.recoilsports.com/2011/01/dpms-panther-3g1-range-report-part-2/

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick trick if your having short stroke issues try oiling your buffer spring . I had a rifle that I built and it was giving me fits with PMC bronze ammo short-stroking . Travis Gibson whipped out a bottle of some super duper helicopter oil (looked like ATF to me) and oiled my buffer spring lightly . Damn thing runs like a sewing machine now . I had disassembled the upper twice trying to make sure the gas block was installed correctly (which it was) and a nickels worth of oil wound up being the fix ... LOL

paraman1-

I did notice that there was zero lubrication in the buffer tube area. Sounded like an old screen door when charging it. :)

I promptly CLP'd it after discovering it.

Glad to hear it had such a dramatic effect for you!

so i am thinking about buying one of these rifles for myself. i cant find anything on their sight saying that it comes with the case or the iron sights you showed in your review. so i was just wondering if it came with the removable sights and case or if you had to order those seperately from dpms.

so i am thinking about buying one of these rifles for myself. i cant find anything on their sight saying that it comes with the case or the iron sights you showed in your review. so i was just wondering if it came with the removable sights and case or if you had to order those seperately from dpms.

Mine came with the molded case and no iron sights.

Mac

If I plan to run the DPMS Panther™ 3G1 with iron sights. Will Troy folding battle sights work, M4 style front or HK style? does it matter?

Troy sights are great back up sights but for three gun I have seen most of the guys here recommend a carry handle or a fixed rear with a bullet drop compensator drum.

Kurt Miller who posts here would be the one to ask.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/LMT-Tactical-Rear-Sight-p/lmt%20rear%20sight%20l8a.htm

• 4 weeks later...

so i ordered one of these rifles and i am just waiting for it now. should be may or june. i also just recieved a 1-4x24 vortex viper pst with mrad reticle to mount on it. the glass looks awesome the reticle is a little small but will definitely work well. any suggestions on what hardware to mount it with im thinking larue tactical but not sure.

Mine came with the molded case and no iron sights.

Mac

thanks

• 2 months later...

Very interesting and helpful posts. I just purchase a 3G1 upper from Midway and installed it on my DSA lower. Beside the lower receiver and a CMC triggger group, the rest of the parts are the same as the complete 3G1 rifle.

At the range, using Federal 55gr. military ammo I was able to maintain sub 1" groups at 100 yards using a Vortex PST scope. I'm planning on swapping in a Stark grip for my Magpul MOE version and that's all the upgrades I dare do.

Coming from the custom race pistol world where thousands are spent for uppers let alone complete guns, this upper is an absolute steal for $799 on Midway. I'm thoroughly impressed with the quality and accuracy delivered by DMPS. For now, I looking forward to my next 3Gun match to see how it shoots in match conditions.

Very interesting and helpful posts. I just purchase a 3G1 upper from Midway and installed it on my DSA lower. Beside the lower receiver and a CMC triggger group, the rest of the parts are the same as the complete 3G1 rifle.

At the range, using Federal 55gr. military ammo I was able to maintain sub 1" groups at 100 yards using a Vortex PST scope. I'm planning on swapping in a Stark grip for my Magpul MOE version and that's all the upgrades I dare do.

Coming from the custom race pistol world where thousands are spent for uppers let alone complete guns, this upper is an absolute steal for $799 on Midway. I'm thoroughly impressed with the quality and accuracy delivered by DMPS. For now, I looking forward to my next 3Gun match to see how it shoots in match conditions.

• 3 months later...

Picked my 3G1 up yesterday and it came in the super cheap plastic rifle case. Mine came with the Tac Latch, JP trigger, NO ambi safety though. Upper to lower fit though is very nice with just a little play. Currently have my Aimpoint CompM2 on it now but, will be putting a Burris TAC30 1-4x24 when it comes in next week. Going to be mounted with a Burris AR PEPR. My fit and finish on the rifle is excellent except the dust cover will not close at all. No biggie since I could careless about it. Also ordered a Stark SE-1 pistol grip, BCM Gunfighter Medium charging handle, and a Magpul BAD Lever. Hope to get out in a couple days to sight it in.

Check the ball on the dust cover that it is not gummed up. Should be an easy fix...

Mick

Picked my 3G1 up yesterday and it came in the super cheap plastic rifle case. Mine came with the Tac Latch, JP trigger, NO ambi safety though. Upper to lower fit though is very nice with just a little play. Currently have my Aimpoint CompM2 on it now but, will be putting a Burris TAC30 1-4x24 when it comes in next week. Going to be mounted with a Burris AR PEPR. My fit and finish on the rifle is excellent except the dust cover will not close at all. No biggie since I could careless about it. Also ordered a Stark SE-1 pistol grip, BCM Gunfighter Medium charging handle, and a Magpul BAD Lever. Hope to get out in a couple days to sight it in.