Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DPMS Panter 3G1

bikedoctor

Nice rifle for $1500 plus DPMS is a big supporter of our sport.

Consider this also

$1050 - for a Noveske 18" rogue hunter with troy 13 inch TRX battlerail, a noveske stainless barrel and an SJC Titan Break

$100 sometimes free when you buy an upper - for a Stripped Noveske lower slightly blemmed.

$230 - Geiselle S3G trigger

So for about the same price, you'll have a 3-gun optimized Noveske rifle instead. Just another option. I took this one so i know.

Both will perform well in 3-gun but i just feel that the Noveske is a little more of a gun and it will have better resale value than DPMS. This is not to offend the Panther 3G1 weapon and the good folks in DPMS because it is also well made and well packaged.

You're a little off on you prices. You forgot the LPK and stock. Add another $150-$200 to that estimate.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

DanielW-

Santa hasn't delivered the DPMS yet, but one of his elves did bring me the Trijicon TR24 1-4 scope! It's the first one I have ever held and it looks like it's going to be perfect. I chose the red triangle because it's a "both eyes open" scope and I'm used to (and love) my EOTech 512. I wasn't sure if it was going to meet my needs and how it would work since it depends on fiber optics/Tritium for illuminating the dot rather than a battery. But after setting it at 1x and running around the house it appears that it's going to work like my EOTech. The triangle just hangs out in space like I'm used to but now I can go out to 4x! Word of caution though. If you're going to run around the house with a scope in your hand wait until your wife isn't home. You'll look nuts to the untrained eye. You'll especially get strange looks running into the bathroom and turning off the lights to test the Tritium.

Picked up a 3G1 this afternoon, just showed up at the store a couple days ago. Just sold/shipped my elcan optic, and have been doing seemingly endless research on 1-4x scopes for the past week. Looked at a burris xtr, thought about a tac30, who know's what trijicon has up they're sleeve, swfa SS 1-4's look very promising, vortex is real close to shipping they're 1-4's. Looks like I'll be missing my annual christmas week coyote hunts this season, at least with the new rifle :(

Edited by rc2125

Went to install a midwest-industries flip-up front sight on the gas block of mine today, but it would not tighten onto the gasblock. The sight clamps down firmly on several weaver/picatinny bases I have laying around, so I guess the gasblock is not to spec? Measures like .006 narrower than the other bases, the sight would not even remotely snug up at all, wobbles side to side.

I first heard of this rifle in the Frontsight review which really piqued my interest since I have been looking to add a race gun to the safe and the JP was somewhat cost prohibitive for me. I'm used to shooting more of a traditional battle rifle type AR and was looking for something that was substantially lighter and more maneuverable with a single stage trigger or at least a 2 stage with less travel than my RRA. So after an evening of google'ing for reviews of the 3G1 I thought I'd give DPMS a shot and ordered a 3G1 from Nelson Tactical. Now technically it was a Christmas gift so although it showed up a few days ago I was forbidden to touch it until the wrapping was torn off.

So yesterday I finally got my paws on my new 3G1 and I'd thought I'd share my initial thoughts on it with you all. As I pulled it from it's shipping container I instantly noticed that the case it came in is not the nice DPMS case that Bikedoctor's rifle came in, my 3G1 showed up in one of the flimsy $9 throwaway cases. It did contain roughly the same rifle and accessories as you can see from the picture.

3g1_1.jpg

As you can see in the next picture is the nice big Tac latch is mysteriously missing from the charging handle which makes it difficult to operate with my Trijicon TR24 mounted. You can also see that the ambidextrous thumb safety isn't on my rifle either. Although not mentioned in the rifle's description on DPMS' website, it is clearly visible in Bikedoctor's photos as well as mentioned in the Fronsight article.

3g1_2.jpg

3g1_3.jpg

As far as fit and finished are concerned, I rate it as fair to good. There is more play than I am used to between the upper and lower receiver but it isn't nearly bad enough to send back to DPMS. I really like the finish of the VTAC handgaurd which has a slight texture to it that should provide a reliable grip even in rainy/muddy conditions which is important to me being in Oregon. The Miculek compensator is a nice touch for an inexpensive rifle as well as the JP trigger which feels heavier than I imagined it would be, but breaks super clean without all of the play and a really short reset. I've very excited to try that out at the range!

3g1_4.jpg

As others have noticed it is just a touch nose heavy due to the non-fluted 18inch barrel but the extra couple of inches over my existing AR should help with reaching out a little further. The gas block provides the only platform for a BUIS to live so my set of Magpul BUIS will have to be replaced with something that won't melt under the heat the block will generate.

After the better part of a month churning over which optic I would put on this rifle I selected the Trijicon TR24 with the red triangle. Not requiring batteries broke the tie between the Trijicon and the Meopta Kdot. The TR24 lives in a LaRue LT-104 which looks to be damn near perfect for placement and function.

3g1_6.jpg

Although I haven't fired it yet I do have great expectations for my new 3G1. Based on what I've seen so far and if it shoots like I've read it will I would definitely rate this as a "Buy" and a great value for the money I paid for it.

I'm going to gather up some various types of ammunition and some Pmags and head to the range later today to sight in the scope and see how she performs so I'll update the thread soon. I'll also let you all know what DPMS says about the lack of a Tac latch and ambi-safety. Although I've never dealt with them before being my first DPMS, I've heard very good things about their customer service so sure they'll try and make me happy.

Well I'm back from the range and here's the good, the bad, and the ugly.

First the good.

It's a shooter! The thing simply shoots great groups with factory ammo. I put Federal XM193 5.56, PMC Bronze .223, and cheap Russian Tula down the pipe and it all grouped well within an inch. Recoil was very light and the rifle felt "right". It handled well and it was well balanced. The JP trigger breaks cleanly but is much heavier than I expected but probably just needs an adjustment.

Now the bad.

The gun runs very poorly. It had several fail to feeds per magazine at best. The Tula wouldn't cycle a second round at all and had several failures to extract. Even the good ammo ran extremely bad. It also wouldn't lock the bolt back after the last round and I tried both of the magazine it came with as well as a Pmag. The more "warmed up" the gun got the worse it performed. I had one double feed that I had to lock the bolt back and strip the mag to clear. The ironic thing is that after I cleared that it cycled properly for a handful of rounds. I just can't believe how poorly this gun runs.

The ugly.

Hopefully there won't be an ugly and DPMS will just trade me out for a working rifle that has all of the parts on it that I expected. I know with anything manufactured there are going to be occasional lemons and this rifle is in high demand which probably exacerbated the quality control issues, but I really hope I didn't make a mistake buying a DPMS. Fingers crossed they make this right.

I'll keep you all posted.

Just an update on the discrepancy with the rifle's configuration. DPMS said it doesn't come with the Tac latch or the ambi safety. When I mentioned that the reviews that I had seen (like Bikedoctor's review) and the Frontsight article mention it coming with those features DPMS said those rifles must have been special ordered that way.

Bikedoctor, was yours a special order?

Anyway, I shipped it back to them today so hopefully I'll have a functioning rifle soon.

For a few bucks more I think I would stick with JP. 3g or not DPMSs are still farted off an assembly line. I had issues years ago with the first 3g (Clark Gator) went with JP and never looked back. just my .02

DWFAN-

I did talk to Nelson Tactical and they didn't have another one in stock to compare it with and said I'd have to take it up with DPMS.

GIO-

I'm going to give DPMS the chance to make things right and I hope they do. If not I'll get the JP. Fingers crossed...

Mine also came with the ambi safety, tact latch, JP trigger, and plastic case. No special order, bought off Gunbroker. I also remember seeing the specs that said all of that was included, but I just checked DPMS website and the extended latch and ambi safety are not in the specs anymore.

I have at least 1500 rounds thru it and absolutely no problems. Feeds everything thru 30 round steel mags that came with it and Magpul P mags. Only thing I had to do was sand the P mags down a little so they drop free easily. They were a little tight.

Just an update on the discrepancy with the rifle's configuration. DPMS said it doesn't come with the Tac latch or the ambi safety. When I mentioned that the reviews that I had seen (like Bikedoctor's review) and the Frontsight article mention it coming with those features DPMS said those rifles must have been special ordered that way.

Bikedoctor, was yours a special order?

Anyway, I shipped it back to them today so hopefully I'll have a functioning rifle soon.

Mine was stock but a very early model when the release went out. I know in the bicycle industry depending on part availability there are substitutions but as a form of class I have always seen things upgraded. Sorry to hear about the downgrade.

Well I'm back from the range and here's the good, the bad, and the ugly.

First the good.

It's a shooter! The thing simply shoots great groups with factory ammo. I put Federal XM193 5.56, PMC Bronze .223, and cheap Russian Tula down the pipe and it all grouped well within an inch. Recoil was very light and the rifle felt "right". It handled well and it was well balanced. The JP trigger breaks cleanly but is much heavier than I expected but probably just needs an adjustment.

Now the bad.

The gun runs very poorly. It had several fail to feeds per magazine at best. The Tula wouldn't cycle a second round at all and had several failures to extract. Even the good ammo ran extremely bad. It also wouldn't lock the bolt back after the last round and I tried both of the magazine it came with as well as a Pmag. The more "warmed up" the gun got the worse it performed. I had one double feed that I had to lock the bolt back and strip the mag to clear. The ironic thing is that after I cleared that it cycled properly for a handful of rounds. I just can't believe how poorly this gun runs.

The ugly.

Hopefully there won't be an ugly and DPMS will just trade me out for a working rifle that has all of the parts on it that I expected. I know with anything manufactured there are going to be occasional lemons and this rifle is in high demand which probably exacerbated the quality control issues, but I really hope I didn't make a mistake buying a DPMS. Fingers crossed they make this right.

I'll keep you all posted.

I thought this rifle came with an adjustable gas block?

No adjustable gas block. I wonder if the rifle in the above post just needed the gas block position adjusted. Just spent some time getting one just right with a new gas block on an AR, when it was not right it had the same symptoms. With the .750 gas block pushed on the barrel until it stopped, it was about 3/16" too far rearward (could see the carbon circle was darn near off the gas port all together), moved it 3/16" foward and it runs and throws spent casings like a champ now.

Edited by rc2125

• 2 weeks later...

Man, I wish someone would get these in stock. My dealer checked with 5 distributors and none available anywhere. I already sold my M&P15, and I just can't justify a JP or Noveske at this point in my shooting.

Mac