Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DPMS Panter 3G1

bikedoctor

Glad I found this thread. I'm saving up for a LR308T and didn't like the stock upper. Nelson Tactical has the LR308T with an A3 upper for just a few bucks more than what others are selling the non-A3 upper for. I just hope they still have one in stock when I'm flush with funds.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I took it to Best of the West range yesterday to sight it in at 250 and 500 yards. Their range goes to 1000 yards. I have shot it to 200 with very good accuracy, but that is the limit of our range. At BOTW you shoot at Larue reactive targets, so no paper, makes for easy hit ID. I have a 1x12 Counter Sniper optic mounted on it. This is a great scope. You have to qualify with a range officer to use this portion of the range. Only have to do it once. He helped call the shots and walk them in. 3 shots on a Larue at 250 and then 3 shots at 500 to qualify. I was using a standard 55gr Federal fmj shell. There was about a 10mph quartering wind from behind and right to left. It took a couple of extra shots to figure the windage on both the 250 and 500, but absolutely no problem. The gun is very accurate. After qualifying I did some experiments with some other ammo. I don't reload. I tried some PMC 55gr fmj and they were even better and more consistent than the Federal's. I also have some 75gr Wolf Gold match ammo. It did not like these, they were very inconsistent. I tried a couple of shots @ 750 at some hanging metal targets with the 55gr PMC rounds and got them within a foot or so of the targets, but the wind was moving them around a lot. I think on a calm day I could hit them. Next ammo will be some Black Hills 69gr. Best of the West is a great range snd well run. Any other suggestions on a good match grade ammo for longer distance?

If you've got a 1 in 7 twist, roll up some 69 grain boat tail match ammo or even something with a 77 grain boat tail bullet. That Black Hills is great stuff. Buffalo Bore is getting good review too.

You want to go long and accurate, start reloading with those heavies.

Edited by fastmtnbiker33w

If you've got a 1 in 7 twist, roll up some 69 grain boat tail match ammo or even something with a 77 grain boat tail bullet. That Black Hills is great stuff. Buffalo Bore is getting good review too.

This rifle is 1/8 twist. Seems to like a little lighter bullet.

This rifle is 1/8 twist. Seems to like a little lighter bullet.

1/8? That's interesting. Usually they are 1:9. Sounds like some fun times trying to see what load will work best.

Did you guys see there is a review of this rifle in this months Front Sight?

If I'd decided to do 3 Gun before buying an AR....I'd have bought one of these for sure....really does seem like great value for money.

I did.. and until that CTR-02 showed up in the classifieds, the 3G1 was pretty much what I decided on. Cant find too many out there though. the two on gunbroker are more than what Nelson sells them for, but Nelson shows out of stock.

Nope, went with a used CTR-02.

Nelson is out of stock, and the local one I found on gunbroker wouldnt budge on price ($1199) for a local pick up. Not a bad deal, but add price and a 2hr drive to get it, and its not the great one that 1080$ is.

Was seriously considering just the upper from Midway when they had the 100 off coupon. That would have been pretty well set up on a JP lower.

Edited by DWFAN

from the looks of the rifle barrel, it looks like a Mark 12 with a different handguard (more for 3 gun use) the specs are identical for both barrels. I just completed a build using this barrel on a DPMS slick slide upper and dpms CF handguard (looks like a clark CF handguard) however, i am using a PRI adjustable gas block and a JP tank brake. it is still too new (less than 50 rounds) and it seems to perform (accuracy wise) close to my existing JP15 rifle. i had use David Tubbs final finish bullets to help "fire form" the barrel (since this is not a top premium barrel, hey whats there to loose)

at this point, it seems to have a potential for a sub MOA maybe even be at .5 MOA barrel. what i do like is the balance of this rifle. even with the tank brake, the feel and balance of this rifle to me, seems a bit lighter and more manuverable as compared to my JP15 (18 inch). lets see how this turns out for next year SMM3G

• 3 weeks later...

Nice rifle for $1500 plus DPMS is a big supporter of our sport.

Consider this also

$1050 - for a Noveske 18" rogue hunter with troy 13 inch TRX battlerail, a noveske stainless barrel and an SJC Titan Break

$100 sometimes free when you buy an upper - for a Stripped Noveske lower slightly blemmed.

$230 - Geiselle S3G trigger

So for about the same price, you'll have a 3-gun optimized Noveske rifle instead. Just another option. I took this one so i know.

Both will perform well in 3-gun but i just feel that the Noveske is a little more of a gun and it will have better resale value than DPMS. This is not to offend the Panther 3G1 weapon and the good folks in DPMS because it is also well made and well packaged.

Edited by smoothdraw

Nice rifle for $1500 plus DPMS is a big supporter of our sport.

Consider this also

$1050 - for a Noveske 18" rogue hunter with troy 13 inch TRX battlerail, a noveske stainless barrel and an SJC Titan Break

$100 sometimes free when you buy an upper - for a Stripped Noveske lower slightly blemmed.

$230 - Geiselle S3G trigger

So for about the same price, you'll have a 3-gun optimized Noveske rifle instead. Just another option. I took this one so i know.

Both will perform well in 3-gun but i just feel that the Noveske is a little more of a gun and it will have better resale value than DPMS. This is not to offend the Panther 3G1 weapon and the good folks in DPMS because it is also well made and well packaged.

Yeah, but the street price on the DPMS is less than $1100: http://www.nelsontactical.com/products/dpms-556-panther%E2%84%A2-3g1-rfa33g1-p-1187.html (Seem to be back in stock right now)

Makes it really great value for money, IMO. Am tempted to pick one up for myself. You guys who have them....have you run any/much steel cased ammo through yours? If so, did it function OK?

Edited by DanielW

• 3 weeks later...

Have any you guys ever bought from Nelson Tatical ? And if you have how reliable are they ? I was wanting to buy a new rifle from them but I don't want to get ripped off and I have never bought over the internet before . Please let me hear some of your responses.

Thanks Jerry

Have any you guys ever bought from Nelson Tatical ? And if you have how reliable are they ? I was wanting to buy a new rifle from them but I don't want to get ripped off and I have never bought over the internet before . Please let me hear some of your responses.

Thanks Jerry

Heard and read lots of good things about them, nothing bad. Ive not purchased myself though. I did have good communication from them when i inquired as to the availability of the 3g1

I bought my rifle through Nelson Tact. and am very pleased with their service. They even threw in a free shirt.

I have run about 450 rds. of steel case in mine and everything went great. The only thing to watch is the wear on the extractor and extractor spring. I'll replace mine around the 4K mark of steel.

I did have a failure to eject but only after I put 1500 rds of .22 through it. The shot looked like a black power rifle. So I attribut this to dirty little .22 ammo.

If you are going to put optics on the rifle I would not change anything until you mount the optics. You may find that the rifle balances out perfectly with a little weight to the rear. There are also many schools of thought on barrel break in depending on what the barrel is made of and how the rifling was cut etc. The break in instructions that came with the rifle have been around a long time and are recommended by most companies.

I bought my rifle through Nelson Tact. and am very pleased with their service. They even threw in a free shirt.

I have run about 450 rds. of steel case in mine and everything went great. The only thing to watch is the wear on the extractor and extractor spring. I'll replace mine around the 4K mark of steel.

I did have a failure to eject but only after I put 1500 rds of .22 through it. The shot looked like a black power rifle. So I attribut this to dirty little .22 ammo.

Great to hear, thanks....definitely think one of these will be my next rifle.

I've been looking to get a new rifle and hadn't even considered the DPMS until I saw the Frontsight article. After a little google'ing for reviews and reading this post I thought I'd give it shot and ordered one from Nelson yesterday. I also ordered a Trijicon TR24 (red triangle) and a LaRue mount for it.

Now I feel like a kid at Christmas and I can't wait to get my paws on it and see how it does for me! :)

Pics when I get it...

I've been looking to get a new rifle and hadn't even considered the DPMS until I saw the Frontsight article. After a little google'ing for reviews and reading this post I thought I'd give it shot and ordered one from Nelson yesterday. I also ordered a Trijicon TR24 (red triangle) and a LaRue mount for it.

Now I feel like a kid at Christmas and I can't wait to get my paws on it and see how it does for me! :)

Pics when I get it...

You won't be dissapointed. I have about 1K rounds thru mine and it has been perfect. I wish I could shoot as good as the rifle performs. I don't reload and use PMC and Federal 55 gr shells and knowing the potential of good hand loads or even the more custom Black Hills and Hornady loads it would shoot even better.