Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40S&W powder choice

noylj

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Working up a new load for my Tac Sport to give N320 a try. I also had some Ramshot Competition and since it was right next to N320 on the burn rate chart I'd tried it also. Both powders work very well and I am having a tough time deciding what I will use. They are really close, the Competition is a bit less expensive and it takes less to get up to a comfortable major power level. I may have to load a few hundred of each and try them both at a match. I was really surprised the Competition shot so well next to the N320 since everyone raves about N320.

CZ Tac Sport .40S&W, Wolf Primers, MGB 180g JHP, 1.130AOL

Ave Hi Low ES SD AD PF

954 965.2 936.2 29.0 10.1 8.3 171 4.7g N320

957 969.5 938.5 31.0 10.4 8.3 172 4.4g Competition

Edited by spencerhut

• 3 weeks later...

No love for W231? :(

I've used 6.0 gr w/ 165gr FMJ Trun Cone bullet (don't recall the COL off hand) from Hornady and got a very comfortable ~174PF from a Glock 35. Going up to a 180 gr Trun Cone you can drop the charge to 5.5 gr for about the same PF.

May not be as "economical" a choice as some others but it meters well and I'm not worried about some minor variation causing a big issue.

Based on this thread I may try some 320 next time I go to load a batch of 40S&W.

This N320 so many seem to be fond of; how fine are the granules compared to say... Winchester 231? Does it meter well? I've been using Accurate #2 for several reasons, most of which however is its fine granules and excelent metering.

Also, why do you prefer N320?

I was able to chrono two loads today with my SV Infinty 6" pistol

4.6 grains of Clays, under a 180 MG JHP to 1.21 - 10 shot average = 988fps/177PF

5.1 grains of N320, under a 180 Zero JHP to 1.20 - 10 shot average = 955fps/171pf

both loads used Speer brass and small pistol primers.

This N320 so many seem to be fond of; how fine are the granules compared to say... Winchester 231? Does it meter well? I've been using Accurate #2 for several reasons, most of which however is its fine granules and excelent metering.

Also, why do you prefer N320?

N320 is small stick powder. It seems to meter okay, no huge variations in charge, say .2 max.

The Ramshot Competition I ended up loading when I tested against the N320 and Power Pistol (my former load) is small flakes and metered about as perfect as one could want. No variations while spot checking a 2000+ round load session.

Edited by spencerhut

Clays, Clays, Clays and more Clays for me. I only shoot FMJ (Jacketed or Plated) bullets so smoke isn't an issue. It also burns really clean making clean up a breeze. I use an OAL of 1.225 in my 180gr FMJ Zero bullet loads. A 4.5gr drop with standard primers makes 167 - 168 PF. For major matches I use the same 4.5gr drop but switch to magnum primers which bumps the PF to 169 - 170.

Is clays pressure sensitive? Yes

Would I use Clays with a shorter OAL? No

Is Clays a good powder for people that get into a catatonic state while reloading and don't pay attention to what they are doing? No

Will you have case head separations and other fun explosions if you over charge when loading with clays? Yes

Is Clays way cheaper than N320? Yes

Is Clays inverse temperature sensitive (The hotter temp it is, the slower they go)? Yes

One major thing that a lot of people don't take in account when loading with Clays is the length of the bullet. Since Clays is really pressure sensitive and you need a decent amount of open volume within the case to make it safe. This means that you need to use bullets with the shortest length. This is the main reason why I always shoot FMJ's verses JHP's. The JHP's are longer than the FMJ's and consume more of the internal case volume. You could have the same OAL on both FMJ and JHP loads but the JHP's consume more internal case volume making it a lot more pressure sensitive.

Clays, Clays, Clays and more Clays for me. I only shoot FMJ (Jacketed or Plated) bullets so smoke isn't an issue. It also burns really clean making clean up a breeze. I use an OAL of 1.225 in my 180gr FMJ Zero bullet loads. A 4.5gr drop with standard primers makes 167 - 168 PF. For major matches I use the same 4.5gr drop but switch to magnum primers which bumps the PF to 169 - 170.

Is Clays a good powder for people that get into a catatonic state while reloading and don't pay attention to what they are doing? No

Will you have case head separations and other fun explosions if you over charge when loading with clays? Yes

Is Clays inverse temperature sensitive (The hotter temp it is, the slower they go)? Yes

One major thing that a lot of people don't take in account when loading with Clays is the length of the bullet. Since Clays is really pressure sensitive and you need a decent amount of open volume within the case to make it safe. This means that you need to use bullets with the shortest length. This is the main reason why I always shoot FMJ's verses JHP's. The JHP's are longer than the FMJ's and consume more of the internal case volume. You could have the same OAL on both FMJ and JHP loads but the JHP's consume more internal case volume making it a lot more pressure sensitive.

Nice post....Thanks :cheers:

Although I've never used clays for .40 major, for years I used it for .40 minor, and .45 ACP and my only complaint was that as it got warmer, it got faster. I used to work up my loads at this time of year, when the temps are 20-35 degrees, and the same loads at 80-90 degrees went up 10pf.

Red Dot 4.3 with a 180 lfp bullet makes major in 40sw. I load 45,40,38 and 9mm with it. used to load 44-40 and 45lc. But went to trail boss for them.

That's my load as well except I use a 180gr TC Bayou Bullet. I have also had good luck with 4.3gr of Bullseye with 180gr TC Missouri Bullet.

ok i am fairly new to reloading, and currently i am using 5.0 -5.2 grains of WST over a 180 gr MG bullet in mixed brass with SP primers.

I would try different powders, but haven't found anywhere that sells TG or VV N320 (haven't tried looking for solo 1000)

I understand the temp. sens. issues, but what does metering mean. are you guys refering to point of aim point of impact at various distance.

just not sure

ok i am fairly new to reloading, and currently i am using 5.0 -5.2 grains of WST over a 180 gr MG bullet in mixed brass with SP primers.

I would try different powders, but haven't found anywhere that sells TG or VV N320 (haven't tried looking for solo 1000)

I understand the temp. sens. issues, but what does metering mean. are you guys refering to point of aim point of impact at various distance.

just not sure

Metering has to do with the reloading .....the machine will throw consitent loads that are more precise with a powder that meters well, without a large variation.....with 320 and tg I have had no more than .1 grains of variation.....with 310 no variation.

thanks fastarget, that is really good to know b/c i don't think IMO that WST meters well then. I have to check the weight on about every 5th load to make sure it is still accurate. thanks for the info

thanks fastarget, that is really good to know b/c i don't think IMO that WST meters well then. I have to check the weight on about every 5th load to make sure it is still accurate. thanks for the info

If your having to reset your measure that often I would look deeper into why, this is probably a different issue.

A powder that doesn't meter well in a particular powder measure will vary from throw to throw, but still stay within a certain window, say + or - .2g, and should stay within that window indefinitely.

If you're desired weight continues to increase or decrease as you're loading, something may be wrong with the powder measure itself not holding it's settings.

Sal

Edited by Sal1950