Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40S&W powder choice

noylj

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Using TG and like it. I gotta do things on the cheap so TG is just right. Some people complain that it turns the gun a funny color but guns are made for shooting and getting dirty not sitting around looking pretty.

Solo1000 meters just fine for me in many, many repeated tests, though changes in settings are sometimes finicky to settle down. It is inexpensive and easily available. It works well for heavy .40 loads, though it is in the borderlands of the published pressure data. The published data is widely suspected in these interweb parts as software-generated data, or according to some accounts, is acknowledged as software-projected rather than actual test data. It is a fast power ~VVn320Solo, and also works well in .45 and 9mm, and in .38 Spcl.

I like it.

At Powder Valley right now - Solo 1000 is $104.00 vs. VV 320 is $90.00.

But thats 8# of Solo vs, 4# of VV 320.

So true. But so is this:

Works out to about .8 cents per round for S1000 or 1.4 cents per round for 320.

Folks, that's a difference of only $6 per THOUSAND!

Powder is cheap, use the good stuff! :cheers:

Yep, only 60 cents savings per 100 rounds, and only 30 cents per box of 50 rds.

Or, just a measley extra $90 when you want 8# of powder. Also, if you figger on 100,000 rounds over the course of your IPSC'ing, thats only $600.

Only $600. And what does $600 buy, anyway?

:sight:

Edited by ben b.

Exactly, so why scrimp?

Or, just a measley extra $90 when you want 8# of powder. Also, if you figger on 100,000 rounds over the course of your IPSC'ing, thats only $600.

Right again! Even at 10,000 rounds a year that's only $60 a year!

Another 24+ pounds of N320?

I like the way you think!:cheers:

• 1 month later...

5.3 gr of Autocomp under a 175 LSWC(.40 cal) makes about 168 PF out of my P16 at an OAL of 1.160 I've been running 5.2 WST and getting about 170PF. Haven't been able to shoot enough of the Autocomp to compare its shootability properties to WST, but first tests look pretty good.

I like two powders that unfortunately the original manufacturers don't make anymore or have reformulated and the subsequent product leaves something to be desired. What ever happened to "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"? Anyway, for .40 I liked/like:

Winchester (Olin) Super Field

Winchester Action Pistol

IMR 7625

This is with 155 grain bullets (Hornady XTP, Sierra 150 JHP, MG JHP or FMJ, Precision Moly) which I have generally found to be the most accurate in my guns, loaded long (1.200) charge weights right there with the powder manufacturer's recommendations...~6.9-7.5 gr for all three powders. I know Silhouette is supposed to be the same as WAP but I haven't been able to get my hands on any out here in Maui. WSF which took the place of Super Field doesn't look nor shoot the same, more smoke and recoil, less accurate. I have generally found my IMR 7625 loads to be less accurate though softer shooting than my WAP loads. On my last pound of that, going to have to find some Silhouette soon. Failing that, I'll have to learn to love the 7625...since I have 16 lbs of it that I bought for my Open guns.

So, you say that if I choose other than that expensive powder, by the time I wear out a barrel I will have saved enough to pay for a new one :devil:

With the extra 4 lbs of Solo 1000 (depending on the powder charge) I can get enough powder to load another 6 to 7 thousand rounds. To me that alone makes Solo 1000 the better powder to use..

Solo 1000 is such a fast powder, it doesn't seem ideal for a round that seems as temperamental as .40S&W. I can see it for light .45ACP or .38 Special Wadcutter loads at 650-750fps. Tried AA N100?