Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New bad habit--blinking during recoil

So I never used to blink during recoil--now I do. I have been for at least a few matches.

Yesterday I went to the square range to cure myself of this problem. I am blinking about 75% of the time and it is hard to stop. Note--there is no associated flinch--I just blink and lose the sights during recoil.

Is there a good method of curing myself of this? I feel that it takes a bit of time to find the front sight again after I blink.

You say "square range." By that do you mean an indoor range? If so, do you shoot there often. Most indoor ranges are extremely loud when it comes to shooting. Maybe double plugging, ear plugs and muffs, will help with the flinching (blinking). You might start shooting a 22 which has a much softer report and work back into your regular gun.You're going to have to work at relaxing and keeping the eyes open. :surprise:

Pat

+1 on double plug...but also

A trick that I know one well known MMA fighter uses to avoid flinching when someone is trying to punch him in the face lol :sight: is to practice keeping his eyes open as he puts his face into the stream of water in the shower. It is not a revolutionary technique/idea but I think it does have some value to making you less prone to blinking/flinching when events take place in very close proximity to your noggin :D We take showers every day so why not use some of that time helping to develop our shooting game right :cheers:

CAZ

It is not a revolutionary technique/idea but I think it does have some value to making you less prone to blinking/flinching when events take place in very close proximity to your noggin

Similar techniques are used in animal training (touching feet/legs of show animals so you can properly "set them up", 'sacking' horses out so they don't freak over scary [to them] things around their feet/legs/head). Makes perfect sense!

Sherry

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

After the double plugging, if the blinking is still occuring, spend some time doing bill drills or rapid fire strings shooting into the berm, and make sure you are keeping your eyes wide open for that 2 or 3 seconds - just to get the feel of shooting off multiple shots fast; after a while you get accustomed to the noise/blast and your eyes stop feeling the need to close every shot.

• 2 weeks later...