Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P16 40 Mags

SouthernYank

I picked up an older P16 awhile back that was already setup for Limited and it came with three high cap mags with what I believe are DP basepads (a light blue color and aluminum). I have had some work done on the gun and it is running pretty well right now but I would like to pick up a few more mags. It looks like DP carries the basepads but not the mag tubes. Should I plan on ordering the tubes from Para and pick-up the basepads from DP or is there somewhere I else I should look at getting the complete mags? Is it likely they will run right out of the box or will I have to get them tuned?

Thanks in advance

If you want them now I would get the pads from DP & get the tubes from somewhere else like Gunbroker or Para. There is a decent deal that I have considered in the past on Gunbroker right now. (As long as the mags are actually Para mags as stated & not Mec-Gar.)

Every once in a while you can get DP Para pads on here or the USPSA classifieds for less money than normal price.

PM incoming about GB deal.

Should run without tuning required.

• 4 months later...

I also recently purchased a p16 with a few mags, and I'm looking for more too. As far as basepads, I just got mine from Brownell's, but they don't make the "colored" ones, the reds and blue ones, but they are only carried in silver and black. If you are not worried about matching, you can buy them new. If you want the Blue ones, a sight like gunbroker you might find some used ones.

As far as tuning, from what I read, the para followers seem to be decent to run. I picked up a 10 pack of Wolff springs to use with the extended basepads, the ISMI springs are another choice, but are more expensive, depending on your budget. Look under the Para tab for more information on the ISMI springs, there are a lot of posts about those.

Good luck to you!

Only place to get complete mags right now seems to be from Para. Every where else is backordered.

Larry Potterfield has some in stock (I bought 2 more yesterday, just in case ya know...)

Only place to get complete mags right now seems to be from Para. Every where else is backordered.

They are about 1mm shorter. And the Dawson pads don't fit on them.

Which mags are 1mm shorter? Para or MecGar?

Edited by GunCat

I have a Para and the only place to get factory mags is directly from Para recently. I will say the newer mag springs aren't as reliable as the original mags that came with the used para I have that was built 10 years ago. I sent the mags back because Tue springs were sticking together. Got new ones and those springs binded up to (salt shaker effect) The springs have a very coarse coating on them. I polished my stock mag springs with brass wool and they work fine now. I put ISMI springs in the ones I put DP basepads on.

I'm getting 17 in P16 mags with the wolff springs and everything else stock. Would suggest the Bolen 11 coil spring with Bolen follower and the DP Para bases. This is a pretty solid setup which should go 20 easily. I haven't built mine up yet, but this is the way I intend to go.

I'm getting 17 in P16 mags with the wolff springs and everything else stock. Would suggest the Bolen 11 coil spring with Bolen follower and the DP Para bases. This is a pretty solid setup which should go 20 easily. I haven't built mine up yet, but this is the way I intend to go.

Does Bolen make a follower that will work in Para tubes?? STI followers will not work in my Para tubes without moification to them. Stock Para mags with DP +4-5 Para basepads will easily hold 20 laodable with just cleaning up the tubes. Both of my Para 1640 like the lighter springs so the stock spring have worked for me and much easier to load.

Edited by elynch2007

Does Bolen make a follower that will work in Para tubes?? STI followers will not work in my Para tubes without moification to them. Stock Para mags with DP +4-5 Para basepads will easily hold 20 laodable with just cleaning up the tubes. Both of my Para 1640 like the lighter springs so the stock spring have worked for me and much easier to load.

As I hadn't built them yet I was just passing along educated conjecture. SWAG. I am willing to modify the bolens to get them to work as they are flat as can be. I like the BENOS bend on the coil to get the nose to stay up. I don't think that the bolen are made for the paras so you're stuck mod'ing. I was have problems getting the 16th round in the tubes with the stock spring much less the 17th. I suppose the Dawson pad is the way to go with the bolens but anything the follower will pass will have to be bevelled well as I found them to be tippy in the STI mags meaning they'd let a round slide under with any resistance.

What mods are you making to them? I assume a little bevelling to get the last round to sit higher/high enough? I have stock followers now and think they are cheating me atleast a round in cap. I was think of going to the bolens as it does so well in my bigstick. I've got some 140 sti tubes coming and plan to use them in those with the 11coil/follower and a 3 or 4mm base. What about SVI followers? Their Red is supposed to be something good. I know Arredondo makes para followers out of nylon and teflon. I like how the Bolen attaches spring to follower. The wings seem to eat up space...SVI and Bolen look to be migthty compact...

With a slight bevel to the bottom rear of the factory followers,ISMI 140mm Para springs\or stock springs and DP basepads I get 21 rounds reloadable in all my Para tubes. In fact once the springs take a set I might get 22 in a couple of them. B) If you buy the DP basepads now they come with instuctions on how to bevel the follower.

• 3 weeks later...