Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Electronic in ear plugs

Ty Hamby

Who makes the most advanced in ear electronic shooting plugs. My wife started shooting with me last year and I quickly got her some MSA pro-X. She likes the quality and attenuation it offers but doesn't like anything on here ears. She starts in the morning with the MSA's and quickly strips them off to put in foam ear plus within the first hour of shooting. I want plugs that attenuate the sound verses clipping off all sound. Any help with this would be appreciated.

Edited by Ty Hamby

Do some searches on ESP America. By far they are the best in ear electronics I have tried.

They start in the $800 neighborhood for analog sound and go up to $2000+ for digital sound. The sound attenuation is the same IIRC but the sound quality varies. You would need to go with the digitals to match the MSA/Sordin sound quality.

I juist invested in the E.A.R. brand in ear - both electronic and passive (sonic vavle) plugs. The molds are in and the hearing protection is being made. I'll let you know when I get them. The electronic are about $1000 a set but the passive are $150 - more than reasonable.

I'll let you know when I get them. The electronic are about $1000 a set but the passive are $150 - more than reasonable.

Please update after you get them. Don't mind the ESP cost but would rather the EAR if they work as well. Please understand, if mommas happy everyones happy. :rolleyes:

Edited by Ty Hamby

I use a noise cancelling headset daily in my flying job. When I was researching muffs for shooting, I found that the electronic muffs geared towards the shooting sports were not noise cancelling, rather they start to "filter" sound at a preset db threshold. Basic noise reduction wasn't much better than ear plugs. I had some custom ear plugs made that work very well, although the spoken word is slightly muffled.

I called Bose, the maker of our aviation headsets, and asked if they'd work for shooting. The explanation I got was that noise cancelling can't keep up with the spike in noise level that is produced by a firing gun.

Just my two cents.

S