Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why Stages with All 3 Guns?

And nobody but a true deviant would sleep with them either :rolleyes:

Ha! You trying to get me fired up there mr mustache funny man? Maybe someday at a match I'll show you how to respect your elders!

I love all 3 gun stages. IF the stage is designed as to give an option to shoot targets with more than one gun its very dependant on what you feel you shoot better with. I admit I have not shot in many BIG matches but if I choose to shoot an array of Clays on post type holders with a shotgun at 25 yards cause I shoot open vs a guy who uses a rifle cause he shoots tac it makes it a decision as to what are your strong suits. Heck I know shotgun tac guys who reload so quick its a toss up.

And some stages up close you can shoot with what you start with be it rifle or pistol. Or transition if you want. Im out to have fun as are most shooters I think,, not so much to make the vrs chanel.

I'm not to fond of using slings and carrying two long guns on your person during a course of fire. We always stage the second long gun, which works well and does not seem to complicate things very much.

I have been to matches where 3-guns went very smoothly and caused no RO nightmares, and ive been to some that were seemingly a nightmare. Maybee its in the plan and execution more than the fact that there are 3-guns used for the stage.

At our club we average about 40 3-guners which give us 4 squads of ten. With 5 stages, and 2-3 stages on average with 3 guns and the rest always 2 guns we manage to finish easily by 3:00. (about an hour per squad per stage) With pretty high round counts as well. Not ever a knightmare I can remember. The biggest factor when things get backed up is the failure of all personel on the squad to help reset, but thats another matter all together.

i agree that carrying 3 guns is not the way to go. 3 guns on a stage are ok, if the guns are staged. wish you guys could spell.

:cheers:

That's why it's called 3-gun,or multi-gun. I agree each weapon should be at least 15-20 rds. What better way to show your ability than to use all weapons on the same stage. Leaving it up to the competitor as to which weapon they want to use for which part of the stage would be even better.

There are plenty of folks running safe and successful Multigun stages with all 3 systems. Some even add a couple of match supplied pick-up guns. I shot a stage at the '09 Iron Man where I used my rifle, a thompson smg, an MP5, my shotgun and finished with my pistol (finally). I had a great time shooting the stage. It's the kind of stage that I expect from the Ironman Team. That said, it's not everybody's cup of joe, but then no one match is.

That's one of the things I really enjoy about this game. Each match, whether it's 300 shooters on 12 stages over 4 days or a 5 stage club match with 16 shooters on Sunday morning, is an expresion of the individuals that set it up and shoot it.

From what I've seen, a lot of multigun competitors like shooting stages with 3 or more firearms in use. I'd bet they're here to stay. Some matches will have more 3G stages than others. Some will require slings and some will use staged guns. IMHO, the best rulebooks are the ones that enable creativity within a principled framework of safety and fairness. To that end, I would like to see the USPSA Rules amended to allow long-guns carried slung with the bolt closed on an empty chamber while shooting a COF. I kinda like stage designs that allow for either staged or slung, shooters's option. Just my $.02. :cheers:

The last couple posts seemed to miss the point of what I was saying

There are plenty of folks running safe and successful Multigun stages with all 3 systems. Some even add a couple of match supplied pick-up guns. I shot a stage at the '09 Iron Man where I used my rifle, a thompson smg, an MP5, my shotgun and finished with my pistol (finally). I had a great time shooting the stage. It's the kind of stage that I expect from the Ironman Team. That said, it's not everybody's cup of joe, but then no one match is.

As I posted earlier Ironman stages are good with all 3 guns because we actually shoot 30-40 rounds out of each.

I am merely sick of stages that are speed drills for clearing and throwing guns in buckets after shooting less than 10 rounds through each.

I'd actually enjoy a match with 4 Ironman length stages more than something with 8-10 stages of lower round count.

I love 3-gun stages, it actually gets your blood pumping. But, I would love to see more 4-5 gun stages :. I paid the same match fee as everyone else and the more shooting I get to do, the more fun I'm having.

So what if to get that 5 gun stage you shoot 6 rounds or less out of each gun? That's what I'm getting at, what is the point of putting so many guns on one stage if we hardly shoot them?

At 1 of our shoots we had to make some last minute changes due to 4"of rain so we had 2 looooooong stages .

Using all 3 , my favorite

stage shotgun

stage rifle ammo

Started with only 5 in rifle, pistol=full load out, 20 targets from 3-50 yards.

Engage targets of your choice beginning with rifle.sling rifle ,engage remaining targets with pistol.

pickup shotgun, engage targets , moving to rifle ammo.

discard SG, pickup rifle ammo

engage remaining targets,

shooter had the option of trans. to pistol incase of malfunction or out of rifle ammo

course was about 130 yd long

about 15 SG , 40 pistol , 35 rifle

It's been several yrs ago , I'm sure it's not correct, but you get the general idea