Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vacation pics

RAZZ

The kids are spending the summer with the grandparents, so the wife and I decided to do something fun for our 15th anniversary. We flew in to Denver and drove to Ouray––about 7 hours southwest.

My better half in the Jeep we rented. The pictures don't do it justice, as every place you looked was a postcard.

IMG_0250.jpg

IMG_0249.jpg

Here is where the Jeep trail ends at the top of Yankee Boy Basin trail––about 13,500 feet. It was windy and cold––still had snow. The top of the mountain was another 1,000 feet. We tried hiking it, but as Floridians who live at 50 feet above sea level, we didn't get too far.

IMG_0284.jpg

The Mrs. making a snow angel

IMG_0288.jpg

There were abandoned silver mines everywhere

IMG_0322.jpg

I have driven harder trails, but none with the consequences of the trails around Youray. A few feet of rock seperated you from a 1,000 foot vertical drop.

IMG_0347.jpg

Youray was pretty neat, and we didn't even scratch the surface. We'll be back.

Amazing pictures, looks like a great trip. I'll need to add this to my list of places to see. I wouldn't mind camping under the stars out there in the near future!

We do a lot of tent camping in FL and GA, and noticed that the camping in CO seemed a little more...primitive. We are used to power and water at each campsite, with a decent shower facility close by. The sites in CO didn't seem to have those comforts, but the camp sites had magnificent views. With two young girls, I don't see us tent camping there, but for someone who doesn't mind roughing it a little bit, it would be worth it.

Great pics. Love wheelin' CO! Nice shirt, btw... matches the jp!

My wife got me that shirt in 2002 when we went to Camp Jeep, and I never wore it. I broke it out for this special occasion. Half way up the mountain, I figured I had better put on some sun screen before I got burned. I grabbed the bottle and flipped the top...and it exploded on me (pressure change w/ elevation)and stained the shirt--bleach didn't even get it out.