Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mossberg 930 SPX

Steve RA

I saw a guy run one in last year at the Arkansas sectional match with no troubles. I then saw a new shooter buy one to run in our local matches and it would only eject a small portion of the shells he fed it. He sold it in favor of a Benlli Nova Pump.

Personally, If I where looking for a budget shotgun to start with I would hunt for a used M1 and if that wasn't in my budget I woudl find a $250-300 used Nova.

There are several that I know of. Sights are poor, barrels are ported and durability??? Reliability seems spotty. Some perfect, others not so much. Beven Grams has been pushing for some changes with Mossberg, but as of right now, I don't know if he has been successful. Might give him a call.

There are several that I know of. Sights are poor, barrels are ported and durability??? Reliability seems spotty. Some perfect, others not so much. Beven Grams has been pushing for some changes with Mossberg, but as of right now, I don't know if he has been successful. Might give him a call.

+1

and +1 to jesse's comment

I have one and the gun shot high when I got it but the sights are adjustable. My 930 SPX was bought new and does not have a ported barrel. It also runs any ammo I feed it. It runs high brass, low brass, heavy loads, light loads, etc... I just wish it had chokes and had a slightly longer barrel. I may have gotten lucky but my 930 SPX has been a workhorse.

Edited by jasmap

My SPX is running great. I sometimes wish it had chokes, but truely have not had a lot of stages where I felt it would have made that much difference. The big drawback to me is it has a 7 round tube, not 8. That can be fixed with a replacemetn from Choate (they make the factory tube), or some others.

Sights are great, and adjustable.

I think some people don't know what a 930 SPX is, its the short barrel tactical model with adjustable sights, NO barrel porting. There are other 930 models out there that have porting, or longer barrels, etc... I have seen other people have trouble getting regular 930s running, or even 935s, but the 930 SPX seems to work pretty good.

Having said that, if I was trying to be ultra competitive, just due to chokes and mag tube capacity I would spend a little more and get a used fixed up Benelli, or an FN SLP.

BY THE WAY, there are MANY threads about the 930 SPX already try a search for more info.

Edited by sfinney

I run a 930, which I have modded just like any other shotgun that is competitive has been modded.

I started out with a 930 special purpose combo. It came with an 18.5 inch barrel and a 28 inch barrel with just a 5 round tube. I thought COOL, I got an 18.5 barrel for 3 gun and a 28incher for shooting birds and such, just swap the barrel back and forth. WRONG idea ..... constantly stuffing shells in the tube sucked, so I added a choate extention, the 9 rounder, to give me a total of 9 rounds. Do yourself a favor and cut the new spring to about 5 inches longer than the total tube length. Shot another couple matches and the 18.5 was less than ideal for some situations, so I took the 28inch vent rib and it met with the Dremel. Ok, so now Ive got a 22 or so inch barrel with a vent rid and no sighting system, so I got some bolt on fiber from Bass Pro Shops and now Ive got sights.

I have also taken and used some small files to file the edge of the chamber so shells feed better, after I hit it with the file I went back with some 600 grit and paper to make it super smooth and get rid of all file marks.

Roll the shotgun over and look down on the loading port, dont worry so much about the loading port at this point but the fore end .... cut it back towards the muzzle to give you some more room right there at the loading port. I have also taken and filed around the loading port to give it more of a funnel into the mag tube.

Nordic now makes a charging handle and there are a couple others out there available too, I havent found one that I am completely satisfied with yet though.

Hope this helps.

Haven't shot one but we have them in our shop and they seem nice. The only con I have seen is that the one with the pistol grip stock, the stock angle is strange so your cheek does not sit right on the stock. You almost have to hold you head up a little off the stock to get a sight picture.

Another 930 SPX user here. Mine has been nothing but solid, reliably feeding any ammo I have put through it. That includes light and low recoil rounds. It has served me well at local 3 gun matches. As everyone will tell you, 3 gun is expensive to participate in. I chose the Mossberg as an inexpensive way to get into the sport.

Having said that, out of the box it is not the most competitive shotgun out there. The lack of chokes and lower capacity will put you at a bit of a disadvantage. If you are looking to be truly competitive nationally or even locally, a Benelli or FN SLP are probably better choices.

930fisk1.jpg

Another 930 SPX user here. Mine has been nothing but solid, reliably feeding any ammo I have put through it. That includes light and low recoil rounds. It has served me well at local 3 gun matches. As everyone will tell you, 3 gun is expensive to participate in. I chose the Mossberg as an inexpensive way to get into the sport.

Having said that, out of the box it is not the most competitive shotgun out there. The lack of chokes and lower capacity will put you at a bit of a disadvantage. If you are looking to be truly competitive nationally or even locally, a Benelli or FN SLP are probably better choices.

930fisk1.jpg

well said. +1

Second hand info and some direct observaion of someone shooting one.

1) it only functioned with high brass shells with a field load. No go with discount target loads

2) trigger guard broke when it hit a rock while shooting prone

3) owner replaced it with a FN SLP and can't stop talking about how good the switch was

"1" might have been fixable with a larger gas port or mayber there was some obstruction

"2" not a design fault unless you consider materials as part of the design

"3" personally I think the two guns are similar vlaue, the FN SLP gives you mor gun but costs more, so...

I'm still using a Rem 870 pump. My reloads suck so bad a slightly faster shooting auto won't help! :rolleyes: