Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any future USPSA gun classification changes?

lee blackman

I just came back to USPSA this year after nearly 10 years to see there are a few new things. The biggest being a few new classes. I know my memory isn't completely accurate, but I don't remember seeing Production? I just remember open, limited, and revolver. Anyway I have a few questions if you guys who read the new rule book:

Is open still the only place a compensated or ported barrel gun with iron sights can play?

Is there any place for a revolver with more that 6-shots?

Is open still the only place a compensated or ported barrel gun with iron sights can play?

Yes. Comp/port --> Open

Most participants would likely encourage you to consider adding an optic to your comped gun - you'd be at a competitive disadvantage shooting it (with iron sights) against guys who use both a comp and an optic (everybody in Open). Check your mag capacity too - if it's less than 22 to 28 (depending on caliber) you're at a competitive disadvantage (again). None of this necessarily means you'll have less fun (shooting Open with the gun as is)...

Is there any place for a revolver with more that 6-shots?

I believe so --> Limited 10 (anybody want to confirm or correct?)

Welcome back.

ac

Edited by ac4wordplay

Yep, you can shoot a 7- or 8-round revolver in L-10 or Production.

You can shoot a gun with higher capacity in Revolver Division (as long as it meets the other equipment criteria--(basically, no ports/comps or optical sights)--you just can't fire more than 6 shots between reloads.

You can shoot a gun with higher capacity in Revolver Division (as long as it meets the other equipment criteria--(basically, no ports/comps or optical sights)--you just can't fire more than 6 shots between reloads.

Good that you raised that point. I always wanted to ask about that. So for the classifier CM09-12: Any Given Sunday, can a shooter shooting in the Revolver division shoot all 4 targets without reloading and not get bumped to Open? (This classifier does not have a mandatory reload.)

http://uspsa.org/classifiers/09-12.pdf

Good that you raised that point. I always wanted to ask about that. So for the classifier CM09-12: Any Given Sunday, can a shooter shooting in the Revolver division shoot all 4 targets without reloading and not get bumped to Open? (This classifier does not have a mandatory reload.)

Revolver division can only FIRE 6 shots with out a reload. The reload is irrelevant really. If you fire 7 shots in revo division welcome to open.

Revolver division can only FIRE 6 shots with out a reload. The reload is irrelevant really. If you fire 7 shots in revo division welcome to open.

Conceptually, I agree. But which rule do you cite for the reason to moving to open:

The closest I could find was Appendix D6.9 as written says:

Maximum ammunition capacity

No, maximum of 6 rounds fired before reload

So if the shooter fired 7, and then reloaded, yes move to open. But for a single string, no reload required stage?

See rule 6.2.5.1:

6.2.5.1 However, if a competitor fails to satisfy the equipment or other requirements of a declared Division during a course of fire, the competitor will be placed in Open Division, if available, otherwise the competitor will shoot the match for no score.

Ya, I shoot for fun so its ok if I'm in open competing with the race guns. When it boils down to it, I just wanna shoot, and compete with myself. Though with the amount of production guns available with porting, I'm really surprised there isn't a division for them. Like a limited-ported division. But I'll keep shooting. I actually would like to eventually put a bar-sto unported barrel in my G24C, and make it limited legal, and actually do a couple of qualifiers just so I can see where I stand nationally, but that will be after I get better. Its amazing how much your fine motor skills deteriorate after not shooting alot for an extended period of time. Its coming back though.

Thanks for the welcome back ;)

Probably another topic issue, but wow, when did Julie Goloski get married. She's now Julie Golob.