Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Repairing M&P pro front fiber optic

tackdr1ver

Last night I was cleaning my M&P pro and discovered that the fiber optic had been damaged and was about to fall out. So my question is: Does anyone know what diameter F/O I need to replace it. And also, what is the best method for securing the rod within the housing?

Pretty easy fix. Not sure what the stock FO rod diameter is. Usually it's .040". Several companies sell one foot lengths of FO rod. I'll cut a 3/4" section. Melt one end slightly (don't over do it), insert into front sight, trim the length so the rod sticks out 1/8", melt that end then use the lighter to mash it into the sight. I hold the FO rod in place with a finger so it doesn't move when I mash the front end.

Fixed one for one of the lady shooters in our group last week, .060 rod. I like to put a small amount of two part epoxy on the rod just before pushing it into the sight, still heating the ends with a lighter. Use a pin or small paper clip to apply a very small dab on the rod.

The rod used to break often on my Edge, since the epoxy trick I haven't had one break.

Thanks for the tips guys, I appreciate it. Going to grab some F/O tomorrow. Is there any particular brand of two part epoxy you recommend? Also, does the epoxy come off with ease if it gets too gunked up after a while?

Thanks for the tips guys, I appreciate it. Going to grab some F/O tomorrow. Is there any particular brand of two part epoxy you recommend? Also, does the epoxy come off with ease if it gets too gunked up after a while?

No need to go all the way to epoxy. Put a little dab of super glue on the inside of the bulb you melt first, put a tiny bit on the sight were the bulk of the rod makes contact, slide the new rod in, melt the end and you're done. They last a long time done that way (I've had them go 10K before) and it's easier to clean up the next time than you'd get with epoxy. R,