Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sighting in handguns

ptf18

What distance should I be sighting in my handguns? I use them for carry and Im tempted to sight them to the 15 yard distance which is the max distance for Texas CHL qualification. I also would like to use these handguns for IDPA matches and have been told to use 25 yards.

Ive heard that my sighting in should be off a solid bench rest using 2 hands BUT that type of sight-in might be different than the "practical" 2 hand, off hand sight-in that is the type of shooting I'ld be doing with these handguns.

Thanks

Sight in at 25 and you'll be covered for anything. As for using a rest, if you have a different point of impact from rested to freestyle then there is an issue that you are causing and you need to work on this. If you want to know how accurate you and your gun can be then you need to rest it, then try to duplicate it freestyle

Sight in at 25 and you'll be covered for anything. As for using a rest, if you have a different point of impact from rested to freestyle then there is an issue that you are causing and you need to work on this. If you want to know how accurate you and your gun can be then you need to rest it, then try to duplicate it freestyle

Not necessarily. I've documented a change in POI with certain guns when going from freestyle to a rest or vice-versa. It's repeatable, and consistent. Both produce good groups, but the elevation changed. That's not an issue that need fixing, it's just something to be aware of.

For the OP, I'd zero for 25yds...put the POI at the top of the front sight or a touch above it, but not below. I'd also check the exact point of impact is at 3, 5, 7, 10 and 15yds (checking 50 isn't a bad idea either) as well just to make sure there wasn't an unusual discrepancy. R,

By how much?

I didn't measure every group precisely, but about the worst I saw was something like a 2-2.5" difference at 25yds. I even found that I could even vary the POI with more or less grip pressure at that same distance, which really had me scratching my head, but I could do it on demand and even showed it to a fellow instructor at work when he was zeroing a new Glock (it happened for him too). It seems (and I stress that) that polymer frame guns are more prone to this. Some ultra high speed video I've seen from work showed Glocks in a Ransom Rest and the dust cover was almost making contact with the barrel, and the guide rod was making contact with the barrel. Obviously, it's a harmonic event, and if you change your grip, you change the harmonics, and a slight change at the front of the frame might be enough to shift the POI higher or lower a little...the front frame rails have to move a little if the dust cover is bending half an inch....just a theory. R,

Typically when sighting-in from the bench (at 50 feet, the maximum distance possible at the indoor range on which I do most of my shooting), I'll hit about an inch high compared to firing the same gun, with the same ammo, freestyle. This is not a problem, just something I'm aware of. IOW, if I'm hitting one inch high compared to the center of the bull, I consider that good to go. Sighting in at 50 feet, I haven't seen enough difference in POI/POA, either in close, out to 35 yards, or even 50 yards, to make a difference. Coolness, huh?

• 3 weeks later...